Lt. Commander
# 1 Energy weapon officer, Mark II
06-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Being a guy who usually likes a less.. "powergamey" approach to powers for the sake of flavor or unique abilities I have to say that the current energy weapons officer's ability maybe a bit too narrow. Of course don't want to make it a flat damage bonus to any energy weapon or else they would be abused, but isn't there something of a more middle ground? like a slight bonus to proc %'s on energy weapons?

Or another option could be a slight recharge bump to CRF, CSV, BFAW, and BOL. However limit them to one per ship.

I know you never want to make a "must have" power or bonus in a game, but on the flip side a "never use" seems like a waste.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Evil thought:

What if there were doffs optimized for rainbow beams?

"20% chance to increase weapon power by 5 when firing an energy weapon of a type not on cooldown."
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Maybe a bonus chance for a weapon's special proc to activate?
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick_Hawkke
Being a guy who usually likes a less.. "powergamey" approach to powers for the sake of flavor or unique abilities I have to say that the current energy weapons officer's ability maybe a bit too narrow. Of course don't want to make it a flat damage bonus to any energy weapon or else they would be abused, but isn't there something of a more middle ground? like a slight bonus to proc %'s on energy weapons?

Or another option could be a slight recharge bump to CRF, CSV, BFAW, and BOL. However limit them to one per ship.

I know you never want to make a "must have" power or bonus in a game, but on the flip side a "never use" seems like a waste.
Not a bad idea, I like both of the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu
Evil thought:

"20% chance to increase weapon power by 5 when firing an energy weapon of a type not on cooldown."
Interesting line of thought, but I'm not sure many people would use it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-14-2012, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu
Evil thought:

which just means that they'll be running -5 power normally, and doing less damage.

The only reason to run a rainbow beam is if you're trying to get multiple proc types... of course, spreading out the type means that the chances of getting each one decrease dramatically, making it basically just a grab-bag.

So....

"30% chance to apply all weapon effects your ship is capable of if a weapon effect is triggered"

SO if you load up with 5 different weapons, your base chance to proc a weapon effect at all remains the same, BUT instead of only applying the single type you apply all 5 effects.

Is that better than just raw damage? It's debatable, but at least it's a debate! I could see someone loading up with 3 of these guys + Prefire Chambers and concentrate on being a debuffing machine.