Lt. Commander
# 11
06-13-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm going to have to disagree. While the basic premise is laughable, I found this episode to be pretty good. If you can overlook that WTF moment, it turns out to be rather enjoyable.

Threshold, however, was just WTF layered on top of WTF.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
They were liimited by an inability to survive indefinitely outside of a type Y environment.

That is more than enough of a limitation to prevent them from taking over the universe. It also limits their incentive to take over the universe. Why take over the parts they cannot exist in?
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Basically once they realized what it was they let it touch stuff to replicate so I'm sure it touched the ship at one point or another off screen. But yeah, once they'd been away from the planet for so long they forgot they were silver blood and that they needed the planets atmosphere to survive.

Pretty bad in my opinion, but they cant all be winners I guess. Although I suppose it would be an easier way to explain giving us a changeling boff with out it actually being a changling.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-13-2012, 08:01 PM
I remember it being somesuch problem with the (not silver blood) warp core going all nutty and making them fall apart, not being away from the planet. Still kind of stupid.

They'd make a neat o' BOFF though.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-13-2012, 08:09 PM
"lightspeed space slurped"

That made me LOL! Well done sir.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Ooh. I just had a wild idea for a Foundry mission with the Silver Blood.

I love the idea of shapeshifters so real that they forget who they are... and the ease with which the Silver Blood did this suggest something... very fun.

My biggest problem with them was how they copied The Doctor. If the energy from their warp core is real, shouldn't SB Doctor be a hologram? His emitter might not be real but the photonic part of him should be an actual hologram.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-13-2012, 09:01 PM
I thought it was a good, "What makes a man?" type plot. Silly sorta-science is par for the course in Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Incidentally...

I love the original Silver Blood plot idea:
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Unde....27_Homecoming

In a nutshell, Voyager gets home. Everyone has tearful reunions with family. Janeway kisses Mark... and then snaps his neck.

The original idea was apparently just that some unknown lifeform took on Voyager's form and beat them back to earth as part of an invasion force. And by the end, thousands of Voyager duplicates would have converged on Earth as part of an invasion force that would have been a two parter about Earth going to war against an armada of Voyager duplicates.

That's the kind of high concept sci-fi I like... and I think it would have made a brilliant five episode arc that would have let them focus on Deanna, Barclay, Admiral Paris, etc. while the Voyager cast play an army of villains.

I love the mental image of a room full of Janeways forming a war council, plotting the genocide of the Federation.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I love the mental image of a room full of Janeways forming a war council, plotting the genocide of the Federation.
Isn't that just normal Janeway in a hall of mirrors?
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Isn't that just normal Janeway in a hall of mirrors?
Or Kirk, plotting it one guy in a red shirt at a time.