Lt. Commander
# 1 dual beam bank design
06-13-2012, 11:44 PM
hi
maybe somebody already brought it up, but i would like to see the dual beam banks changed.
if you have dual beam banks for installed, you get 2 beams out of EACH side of your ship to the target in front of you. i think dual beam banks should shoot out of ONE point of you ship, just with 2 beams (like simple beam banks, just instead of one beam, you should get 2 thinner ones). exactly like the icon of the dual beam banks shows. would look much cooler.
just a suggestion and would be true to the original idea of dual beam banks.
ty and greets
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-13-2012, 11:53 PM
like the retrofit TOS phasers only in orange?
why not!
i also would love to see the amount of beams fired reduced in general...sometimes a cruiser looks like a spider hanging inside an orange spiderweb of beams.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-14-2012, 12:22 AM
yea, like the retrofit. 2 narrow close placed beams rather than 2 far away from each other.
+1 to the beam count
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-14-2012, 02:07 PM
I think if that the dual beam banks were to use the existing firing points for the beam arrays instead of the dual heavy cannon points, it would improve the appear of ships using DBBs. Right now if one uses more than one DBB or a DBB and HDCs, you end up with multiple weapons all firing from the same point. If the DBBs are changed to use the array points then we'll get better looking ships in combat that look like they actually have more than two weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreeves7 View Post
I think if that the dual beam banks were to use the existing firing points for the beam arrays instead of the dual heavy cannon points, it would improve the appear of ships using DBBs. Right now if one uses more than one DBB or a DBB and HDCs, you end up with multiple weapons all firing from the same point. If the DBBs are changed to use the array points then we'll get better looking ships in combat that look like they actually have more than two weapons.
Agreed; beam fire at will from a DBB-equipped ship looks genuinely daft. I'd also prefer that phaser turrets fired beams as well, just thin beams in extremely short pulses like we saw when the Defiant used its phaser arrays(vs Lakota and vs Mirror Klingon flagship), would look much better than the current "pew-pew-pew-pew" pulse turrets.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-17-2012, 11:47 AM
agree with the turrent-thingy. short bursts and the DBB should have 2 narrow beams out of one firing point! please "+1" if agree, i hope a dev reads this...
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-17-2012, 02:43 PM
i think the new armitage fires dual beam banks in a narrow fashion...looks like the TOS phasers just in orange.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-17-2012, 05:32 PM
I kind of like them the way they are.

If the DBB is just two beams coming out of the same point, why should they be limited to 90 degrees? Why not 270, like regular beams?
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
I kind of like them the way they are.

If the DBB is just two beams coming out of the same point, why should they be limited to 90 degrees? Why not 270, like regular beams?
This is Star Trek, the universe is built on vacant technobabble For example; The additional power required in order to generate the double-beam requires that the entire array be energised sequentially, limiting the emission points to either end of said array, this limits the arc of fire of the weapon to 90 degrees for or aft of the vessel, depending on which phaser array is in use. And if anyone points out that many vessels have multiple smaller arrays, you just extend the power requirement issue and state that only the two main forward and aft arrays can draw the necessary energy from the EPS system.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreeves7 View Post
Yeah, if they used the beam array port/starboard hardpoints, rather than all being crammed into the DHC hardpoints, they could also have a set of seperate dorsal/ventral arrays. No more hull clipping if your DHCs fire out of your torpedo launchers [hello, Oddy].