# 11
06-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Rule one of tech support

"turn it off and on again"

Rule two of tech support

"is it plugged in"

Rule three of tech support

"is the modem switched on"

(never done the job myself but My Cousin does it for a living for AOL)
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
Rule one of tech support
That's why I always confirm what process they're doing and/or ask for a walkthru to the steps that they;re doing.

May not solve 90% of the problems but seems like it's at least 50%.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Whats annoying is when you know what is wrong and you still need to play along with the tech support walkthru's before you can get your laptop sent away for repair
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Agent_Fox_Mulder
Whats annoying is when you know what is wrong and you still need to play along with the tech support walkthru's before you can get your laptop sent away for repair
Been there. I've got the voice prompts for the cable company's automatic troubleshooter memorized. I started unplugging my modem so it has no choice but to send me the a human being.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Agent_Fox_Mulder
Then you quickly, calmly, and politely cover what you've done already.

"I;ve done this specific step. tried this specific step as well. I also did this specific step that I found on your tech support website."

9 times out of 10 that line comes out with a "I;m not stupid" or whining or something along those lines. (edit: "I tried everything!" Well if you did, then you still wouldn;t be having a problem now.

We just had a thread like that a few days ago here in the forums.....
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Nah, I need to play along, you need to follow the steps with them on the phone. As the solution is to replace the motherboard that is one step I cant do before calling them to get it done under extended warranty!
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-16-2012, 12:13 AM
There are over 8,000 fleets out there in the STO universe and only about 30 of them post on here regularly. Some of the other fleets may post on a person that starts a thread in here that states something that sums up what there fleet is all about. For example I keep my eye on people in their 40's and older and try to get them to read what we are all about. There are so many fleets and all of them offered different things and some fleet specialize in certain areas of the game like RP or PvP. The one thing that this forum and the in-game database does not tell is how active a fleet is... A fleet with 500 non active members is not as good as 25 active members and so on..
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinepuhotepgames
In my experience, the problem is that no matter how much searching you do, no matter how much time you spend reading posts and researching, you end up - after all that research - discovering that the information you're looking for IS NOT THERE, so, out of frustration and disgust, you post a question that can basically be summed up as "why isn't anyone answering these basic questions that would resolve these problems and reduce the number of people posting 'looking for fleet' posts?" And then, of course, you get insulting, rude, sometimes even hostile responses, often from the very people whose posts forced you to ask the frustrated questions in the first place.
Then say that you've searched. That will go a long way with folks answering questions. List the steps that you've done. Show that you've put in a least some effort in finding a solution. Takes two seconds and it'll show that you've at least made the attempt to look for your solution.

if you do that chances are you'll get a lot better result when you ask a question.

In your last thread, you at least walked through the situation and showed that yes you did in fact poke around to see what was going on.

Want to see the exact opposite? Search the forums for mobile and see how many of the first posts in those threads include the statement "Has anyone suggested this previously?"

edit: The irony of all this is that on the show, the library computer was used for research all the time.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Something no one has pointed out is sometimes fleet threds are over 30 days old. Replying to a 30 day old thred is a violation of the rules if I am not mistaken?
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elis_Grant
Something no one has pointed out is sometimes fleet threds are over 30 days old. Replying to a 30 day old thred is a violation of the rules if I am not mistaken?
To go along with that, aren't they also removed after 6 months or a year? I remember seeing something about forum threads age from a dev in another thread somewhere. Can't remember which dev or what thread though. Am I correct in that statement?