Lt. Commander
Hoch Savan!
DeyvID ′oH pongwIj′e′, ′ej tlhIngan Hol vIHaD.
Qu′lIjvaD tlhIngan Hol Dalo′ DaneHchugh, vaj qaQaHlaH.

«Activating Universal Translator»

Greetings Everyone!

My name is Deyvid, and I study the Klingon language. If you would like to use the Klingon language for your mission(s) then I can help you.

I have studied the Klingon language, tlhIngan Hol, since the late 1990s and continue to be a strong proponent of the Warriors' Tongue, "the fastest growing language in the galaxy." I not only can speak Klingon, but I can also read the Klingon writing system known as pIqaD (the Klingon writing in my signature are actual Klingon words, not random gibberish).

I host the Klingon-themed music and talk show Warriors' Den on TrekRadio.net on which I often speak Klingon and discuss the language and Klingon culture (in addition to playing a wide variety of music). I have interviewed Lawrence Schoen, founder & director of the Klingon Language Institute, on several occasions, and am in the early stages of planning a Klingon language study/discussion group in conjunction with my show.

After offering to help with Klingon language and cultural lore, I was fortunate to join the Gates of Sto-Vo-Kor audio drama podcast. I add tlhIngan Hol to the scripts and torture our cast and guests with multiple takes to get the pronunciation as close to accurate as possible. (I have to say they all have done a great job with the Klingon language words -- better than some of the actors from the TV shows in fact!)

I have several ideas for KDF Foundry missions, and am continuing to practice and develop these missions. I look forward to publishing my first Foundry mission very soon, and you can bet there will be some tlhIngan Hol in the mission dialogue.

If any Foundry authors would like help with Klingon words, phrases, or translations I would be happy to help when possible. Sometimes translating English into Klingon can be tricky: direct word-for-word translations may not be possible; metaphors and puns don't always work, and sometimes there are English words missing in the Klingon lexicon -- however, it should be possible to incorporate the Klingon language into a wide variety of mission situations.

If you are interested in using tlhIngan Hol in your missions, feel free to contact me for help and I will do what i can (and if I can't figure it out, I can reach out to the Klingon language community if necessary). You can send me an in-game mail (my handle is @Deyvid), send me a tweet to @DeyvID_KDF, and you can usually find me in the Trek Radio IRC and the trekradio.net in-game chat channel, as well as some of the chats of various STO-related podcasts.

For those interested in learning the Klingon language, I wrote up a "brief" introductory primer for the language on my blog. (I keep meaning to get back on the blog more often.)

qo′mey poSmoH Hol.
Language opens worlds.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-14-2012, 02:04 PM
An excellent service, Deyvid, thanks!

One thing that might be helpful is to post right here (maybe we can get a sticky) a list of common Klingon phrases that would crop up in our missions. The sort of things we can insert of Klingon flavor in situations where they wouldn't need translation.

For example:

Beam me/us up/down
Warp speed
Fire weapons
Attack!
Full impulse
Intercept course
Yes, sir
No, sir

And of course, insults!

I remember some of these phrases from the movies and tv shows but you could tell us how to properly spell and pronounce them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post

One thing that might be helpful is to post right here (maybe we can get a sticky) a list of common Klingon phrases that would crop up in our missions. The sort of things we can insert of Klingon flavor in situations where they wouldn't need translation.

For example:

Beam me/us up/down
Warp speed
Fire weapons
Attack!
Full impulse
Intercept course
Yes, sir
No, sir

And of course, insults!

I remember some of these phrases from the movies and tv shows but you could tell us how to properly spell and pronounce them.
Just to add a few possible generic phrases...

Damage report!
Report!
Kill him
Kill her
Kill it
Kill them
Kill them all!
I will kill you
I should kill you right now
Do it
Do what I ordered you to do
It is a good day to die
You honor me
You dishonor me!
I have been dishonored
Do you wish to challenge me?
We will fight (them)
I will fight you
What do you want (from me)?
Be silent!
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Thank you very much for offering this service!

How do you say "Fearless" and "Undauntable"? They're for ship names.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Just some common insults....

Also, how would you say captain in Klingon?

- Thanks
Q400
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Just to throw this out, I wrote a fanfic piece a long time ago that included a line of Klingon that I could never get translated.

Any chance you could translate "I kissed your boyfriend" for me please?

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post

That's a good idea. I can add a list of common, standard words and phrases in Klingon and English. I will edit the original post with the list, and can add to it over time with more.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapparatus View Post
Just to throw this out, I wrote a fanfic piece a long time ago that included a line of Klingon that I could never get translated.

Any chance you could translate "I kissed your boyfriend" for me please?

Thanks
Unfortunately, there is no word for "kiss" in the Klingon language.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvid View Post
Unfortunately, there is on word for "kiss" in the Klingon language.
Why am I not surprised? :p
Captain
# 10
06-21-2012, 07:55 PM
In "Tears of the Prophets", Worf said a Klingon death chant over Jadzia's corpse. The English translation is:

"Only Qo'noS endures. All we can hope for is a glorious death. Only Qo'noS endures. In death there is victory and honor."

How do I spell the Klingon version?
Closed Thread