Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
Honestly, I hate the fact that we have to rely on Abrams for Trek's survivability and I think there's a LOT more to be touched in Trek that he's not doing. I didn't hate the new Trek movie but it seemed like such a mediocre sci-fi movie that I think after the nostalgia effects that fans of the new Trek has wears off, they will look at it in the same light as most haters.

So I ask you, if you could pick one (or several if you wish) director to reboot the Trek franchise, who would it be and why? You may list more than one director and you may list other casting choices, writers, etc. What's your dream crew to reboot the franchise?

Personally, I'd love to see Christopher Nolan do at least one Trek film. Why? The dude understands sci-fi (inception, the prestige), story telling, and he tries his damndest for the technology in his movies to make sense.

I'm not just a Nolan fan because of the Batman movies, I'm a fan because he's one of the few directors left that understands subtlety. Tell me that you couldn't see Memento or the prestige as being some kind of Trek episodes? But I think Nolan would have to have his brother Jon to write though, they seem to be unstoppable when working together.

Other than Nolan I think Bryan Singer would be a good choice, he's already shown interest to do a Trek series and has made proposals - Unlike Abrams he wasn't just some big shot director hired to try to squeeze Trek for more money, he WANTS to do a new Trek series. Not to mention the only good x-men movies were the ones that involved Singer (X-men, X2, First Class). Before he was scrapped from doing another Superman, he said his next superman would be the "Wrath of Khan" of his Superman franchise - Acknowledging how boring and nonsensical Superman Returns was and comparing it to TMP and how TWoK saved Trek: He obviously knew his Trek history when there was no Trek going on.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Rick Berman

(though who knows, Bryan Singer wants to direct one, while J.Brams doesn't, so why not?)
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-14-2012, 01:49 PM
The Coen brothers.

Can't be any worse that <snicker> Rick Berman or JJ.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Depends on what kind of movie you want it to be. I for one liked the Abrams approach, because it felt to me like an old-school Saturday serial matinee of swashbuckling space heroes ala Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers, the sort of thing Captain Kirk should be (wrong for other captains though). It wasn't thought-provoking social commentary or avante garde artistry, but it was heroic and fun. I'm looking forward to the next one. And lets be honest, so many people like Wrath Of Khan so much because of the starship the and Ricardo Montebellan chewing the scenery, not the paper-thin 'character studies' or the acting quality of William Shatner. I'm not especially knowledgeable on directors, but I imagine before you start picking names you'd really need to decide on what KIND of film you want to see made.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-14-2012, 02:20 PM
It's not so much the director (I'm not really a JJ fan though) but more the writers that need changing.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-14-2012, 02:25 PM
I've always been impressed with Steven Spielberg. His movies has a great deal of quality and consistency that I admire.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-14-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm probably the minority around here but I like JJ and I liked the new Trek (though its not in the top tier by any means).

But anyway, I think Ron Howard should do Star Trek. Look at what a classic Apollo 13 is, and that was a TRUE STORY (if condensed). I think he could bring a sense of grounded reality to the IP as well as being an excellent filmmaker and storyteller.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Uwe Boll

>_>

<_<

:::hides under desk:::
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-14-2012, 02:39 PM
William Shatner. Just look at how good he did directing STV. :p
Lt. Commander