Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
06-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
"or when it sounds like "a" as in neighbor and weigh."
So are we supposed to say weird as way-rd? 'Cause that is really weird.

I reckon there is a reason that English is considered by many to be the toughest language to learn.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
06-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Your, You're, Ur. Ur was a Sumerian city.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
06-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
DATSA BIK COOKIE!!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by MightionNY View Post
Hey, Tumerboy?

Did I ever tell you, you're my hero?

Srsly, you're the wind beneath my wings.
We're in space, that better be solar wind. . .



ETA: To be clear, I'm not mad at anyone for messing this up, I find myself typing the wrong one periodically myself. Just something that bugs me when I notice it, because I know how easy it is to do.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
06-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
So are we supposed to say weird as way-rd? 'Cause that is really weird.

I reckon there is a reason that English is considered by many to be the toughest language to learn.
It wouldn't be way-rd to a redneck. Just like 'NASCAR' was coined by two rednecks talking in the driveway.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
06-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianalliance View Post
It wouldn't be way-rd to a redneck. Just like 'NASCAR' was coined by two rednecks talking in the driveway.
Consideration given to the fact I now live in Texas, yuh'd think I'd know better. ROFL
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
06-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
Consideration given to the fact I now live in Texas, yuh'd think I'd know better. ROFL
I'm sorry for you.

(Lives in Nebraska.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
06-15-2012, 04:35 PM
I'd like to chime in...

definitely =/= defiantly

... sorry I don't have a fancy graphic like Tacoface.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
06-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorticusCryptic
I'd like to chime in...

definitely =/= defiantly

... sorry I don't have a fancy graphic like Tacoface.


Who the hell mixes those two up?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
06-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Affect =/= Effect
Lay =/= Lie

And why is it like this?
Enter
Entrance

And of course, I've already read it, why should I read it again?

Edit: It's about Darmok, but it makes some great points about language.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
06-15-2012, 06:53 PM
you can guess weight in way wey cheese
weigh anchors weigh sailors that weigh anchors and wait for dates
you have ship anchors and news anchors and tug of war anchors

----------------------------------
Picard Jacket Wide open
on the Bridge
at Enterprise
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 PM.