Lt. Commander
# 1 Obvious solution to STF drops?
04-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Let me start off by saying that Im not any kind of STF expert, but while I was listening to the new episode of STOked and the conversation about drops, a seemingly obvious solution jumped out at me. Why not simply put the super rare gear in the STF store for a super high price, but also *keep* the random drops? That way some people can still get lucky, but the incredibly unlucky people can stil get their gear?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Let me start off by saying that Im not any kind of STF expert, but while I was listening to the new episode of STOked and the conversation about drops, a seemingly obvious solution jumped out at me. Why not simply put the super rare gear in the STF store for a super high price, but also *keep* the random drops? That way some people can still get lucky, but the incredibly unlucky people can stil get their gear?
Not a new suggestion Nagus, folks have been saying this from the start. Same way the mk x and mk xi stuff works is the way the xii should. /agree
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
Not a new suggestion Nagus, folks have been saying this from the start. Same way the mk x and mk xi stuff works is the way the xii should. /agree
must say it has been suggested before, but that doesn't make it any less of a good idea, I've been all for this since it was first suggested. The current method is, lacking to be polite.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:

This is exactly what I said would be happening in the interview. When new cosmetic variants of the three sets are made available to me I will put the current ones in the store. The new ones would then be the only ones that you can only get from drops.

There will always be at least one set that is only available on Elite and only available as a drop. This will not change. As a player you will have a choice, play now and hope that you get your drops for the current high end set.

Or, Save up EDC's and wait for that set to show up on the STF store.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
This is exactly what I said would be happening in the interview. When new cosmetic variants of the three sets are made available to me I will put the current ones in the store. The new ones would then be the only ones that you can only get from drops.

There will always be at least one set that is only available on Elite and only available as a drop. This will not change. As a player you will have a choice, play now and hope that you get your drops for the current high end set.

This actually makes me a happy camper, Goz...

I've gotten to a point with at least one character where all he does is either STFs or (on request) assisiting fleet mates with PVP, Dailies, etc.

I'll definately have to hold on to more of my EDCs from here out.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
When you say: "cosmetic variants" do you mean that the MACO, Omega and Borg sets will get new visual characteristics but the same overall attributes?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:

I did hear that part of the interview, but unfortunately it sounds like you dont really have any ETA on when that will happen. I know you said 3-4 months, but as you said it has already been approximately 3 months and you have no idea where the next set is. So while that sounds good in theory, until it actually starts happening the issue is not resolved.

That said, I have to ask why must there always be an exclusive random drop set? Why not have both the random drops *and* let that set be super expensive in the store at the same time? That allows people to get lucky drops and also allows the unlucky people to not have to wait on something which there is not even a current ETA on.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:

Now my question is this Gozer. Not long ago a new series of costumes did come out, but instead of putting them to the Elite drops and adding the current Mark XII to the store, you put the new costumes to the Elite Optional accolade. Why didn't you do this then? And why not the prospect of putting some of the other costume variants to some of the other accolades, like Silver Star and Starfleet Cross (To give a bit of visual bling to the accolades that take time to earn)?
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:

The two choices you outlined above require the exact same activity.

To save up, for a currently unknown and yet to be announced, amount of EDCs requires to players to run an indeterminable (to the player) number of STFs.

To play now and hope you get your drops also requires players to to run an indeterminable (to the player) number of STFs.

I think the reason this issue keeps popping up is because most players seem to dislike the non-deterministic method of loot acquisition - which is compounded by specific STFs dropping specific Prototech with no method of trading in duplicates of said Prototech for another you've been unable to acquire.

I think many players fundamentally disagree with the concept that rarity gated through random loot makes it special.

I would very much prefer things like the special objectives of STFs to be expanded on with achievement of said objectives leading to either an increased drop chance teamwide, or a separate earn-able currency that would allow us to collect and spend in conjunction with EDCs to purchase the MK XII sets.

Make it hard, make it challenging, make us earn it through skill as opposed to random luck.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-24-2012, 01:22 PM
This is good and fine Gozer, but why do you just ignoring the possibility to add an additional way of using Rare Prototype as a barter option for the sets too?