Lt. Commander
# 21
06-15-2012, 04:39 PM
To me uniqueness says a lot and when I look at pvp from all the games I've seen over the last 20+ years online I have to admit that there were a lot of text based games that had better pvp systems than this game has especially the muds and Trade Wars 2002.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-15-2012, 04:50 PM
I like that the two largest factors in PvP success are 1) player skill, and 2) player teamwork. Gear does make a difference, but not as large of one as knowledge, timing, and situational awareness.

For space PvP, I like that ships are, generally speaking, fairly well balanced, and that there's a lot of latitude in choosing what powers to outfit yourself with, so you can fine tune your ship to suit your personal preferences. I also like that most offensive skills have counters or ways to react defensively but that no single ship can carry enough defenses to be invulnerable to all abilities.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
This week’s question :
What if anything do you actually like about the current PvP system ?
Just briefly, I like:
It's Player vs Player, that's what I originally came to pvp for, after all.
The OPVP community. Seriously, I would have left STO long ago if not for you lot.
The space combat system in STO is unlike anything else anywhere. It's so chock full of potential to be one of the best pvp experiences out there, if it could only get the resource and attention that it so deserves.
Not being gear dependant. Though stf loots are skewing that a bit, some small measure of skill/know-how will still outweigh gear.
Being able to tweak my build/boff loadout to my own tastes in an effort to eek an extra ounce of performance.
Last but not least (and a re-iteration of point #1): It's pew p-pew, and that is fun in and of itself.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-15-2012, 05:02 PM
I like that you can see how many are in the queue and the average time its taking for that queue to start.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Variety is the spice of life, and PvP! I like that there are so many combinations of gear, ships, classes, bridge officer abilities and the like.

I like the idea behind a place like Kerrat. I'd love to see a string of systems full of war zones with objective based PvP.

I like the war between distinctly factions.

I like the emphasis on team based PvP (5v5) rather than simplified 1 on 1.

I like that the system isn't winner take all, but I'd prefer to see a bigger gap between those who contribute and those who don't.

I like the times when we are able to get some attention for important balance concerns.

I've never played PvP in any game before. It never appealed to me. It was months before I got bored enough to queue up for my first Space FvK match. It was brutal and I was so ****ed off that I queued up and did it all over again.

The people I met along the way were just great. The bad ones get a disproportionate amount of attention, but the people are what helped me to hang in there. I know it can be off putting for some, but I really enjoy the typical bluntness, honesty, odd sense of humor and willingness to help one another.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-15-2012, 05:16 PM
the game engine's player verse player ship interaction is the funiest video game content i have ever played. the combination of tall ship physics, the ship equipment, the weapon types and all the station powers make for an incredibly sound gameing environment. it was like a pvp expert designed it.

several of the details i would have done differently, no ship in the ip rapidly fired off 8 different beams or cannons at once in the show, it was less is more with ship weapons in the IP. the spike damage and healing yoyo effect i would make much less dramatic as well. there also would be no carriers, at least not how they are now in an environment were they can be used against other player. if there had to be carriers their pets would be for dealing damage only, no debufs or befudling abilities. they break the balance created by cooldowns, they can inflict their opponent, die, immediately respawn and inflict again in an unbreakable cycle. they flush fun down the toilet of anyone thats around them. ands lag the hell out of the game, at least 30% of my deaths are from 5 seconds of unending lag. lets see another 30% is from powers not activating when i click on them, 40% is from being mobbed and my team mates being useless, and the last 5% is from simply being out played. the point is a game were 50% of my deaths are from being out played, and 50% of my deaths being from getting mobbed would be ideal.

the ship npcs in this game still feel mostly like place holders, they have 1/10 the depth and complexity a player ship has. fighting them in this otherwise brilliant game engine sucks the fun right out of playing. any time i have to do pve, even the most supposedly fun pve, it feels like a grind. the d'deridex defender proves npcs can be interesting opponents, and they are possible to make. these npcs being so bad has caused the majority of players to be completely unprepared for facing other players, and is the reason so many avoid it. i don't think a pvp overhaul can succeed without the player base properly trained by the pve content how to actually play to their ships potential.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Ker'rat - Sensing a theme here? haha

Although I don't think Ker'rat itself can be saved (too buggy, to time intensive to fix) but I think if we have it replaced with the same type of system just built up anew.
It needs the PvPvE, It needs to be easily accessible and something I can just pop into for just a mins or hours. And "maybe" a similar function as the No Win PvE where you get different enemies and along with them maybe different objectives. Just so that is each time it is going to be a little different even with the same people.

Edit:
Also maybe Different objectives for each faction and this style of map should STAY FvK.
Most of us love Ker'rat just fine it too buggy and would love more from it. Any open PvP system we get should look at the ideas behind Ker'rat and build on them. We have a system that fundamentally works we just need to build on it.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
PvP Weekly Update 06/15/2012

This week’s question :

What if anything do you actually like about the current PvP system ?

I’m not asking what you don’t like, just if there is anything that you do like about it.
Match duration is, for me, about right.

Granted there are some capture and hold missions that seem to drag out to eternity but on the whole they are about right. If tey took any longer I would lose interest. Any shorter and they wouldn't feel worthwhile.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-15-2012, 05:42 PM
I Love:

1. The faction based PVP, each side having strengths and weaknesses
2. The idea of Kerrat
3, The Complex nature of building solid and interesting PVP builds.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-15-2012, 05:42 PM
i like warp core explosions.