What if anything do you actually like about the current PvP system ?
I was going to list a bunch of stuff... then I logged in and played around in kerrat for awhile... and checked out the newest pay to win bs. There was more runabouts then cubes in kerrat this evening... I really really really considered deleteing all my toons tonight to keep myself from returning... I resisted for now... but I may still do just that tommorow. Night Gozer gl with all the hand sitting.
I like the concept of ker'rat. I like being able to enter a zone with no wait time and dont need a team. I like the concept of pve objectives, so if there are no enemy ships around you can at least do something. I like the quick nature of it (although there is room for a long time consuming map as well).
I like the pvp itself. i think its fun and enjoyable to play at its core. ship pvp is some of the best pvp ive played. it can get a bit hectic at max level, but lt. cmd to commander level pvp is great fun as there is just a right mix of abilities without it turning into a disco light show and you dont get killed in 2 seconds.
i like that even if you lose you get xp, rewards etc. its not critical to win a match, as pvp can be very one sided and no rewards for being beaten by a better team would suck.
Open pvp ie... Ker'ret ! i'd like to see more open combat zones like this please. one such zone could be the map from Op Gamma FE, have the roids with swarmers on as some sort of mineable roid and everything is fair game. this map would make for some awesome fights, escourts flying in and out of the main large roids after eachother... nom nom
Iím not asking what you donít like, just if there is anything that you do like about it.
Gose dude... "IF"? PVP is the only reason i still play.
Everything else is just about leading to the PVP experience. And don't let your metrics fool you into thinking it can be cut out of the game. I hardly ever PVP anymore. Okay, the last three months was because I was couch surfing with my computer in storage, but before that. Fleet duties and grinding to stay competative keep me out of the queues way more than I want, but they are just a means to an end. Even the good story in a featured episode that I want so badly is just so that I can write my own characters' stories into the Trek Universe against stimulating opponents.
So to give a general principle that reflects a complex answer to your question, i would say that what I like about STO pvp are the elements that feed into good roleplaying. Anything that enhances this would be an improvement.
Specific examples would be:
- PvPvE. PVP maps are usually made "fair" by being made symetrical. This is tactically boring and doesn't reflect the IP, where there is usually some overriding objective that provides a direction to combat. Kerrat, for all its flaws, provides that. My dream is to one day see a featured episode that at some part of the story dumps me into a PvPvE queue. The story then continues on two separate tracts depending on whether your team wins or loses.
- A good mix of heal over time and instant heals. I know the "sluggers" hate the feel of having their progress negated, but those of us who prefer a "pitching and defense" style of play use instant heals for the tactics of deception. Zooming around with unhealed hull may be stupid against a TSI premade, but in a PuG match it can be a great way to lure a newbie off of his focus fire target. The bottom line for me is that the original IP all had instant heals, from improved structural integrity on Voyager at a power console tap to Scotty's miracle working. Stick with the IP.
- Character customization. Gear customization. Ship customization (ie. Universal B/O stations, consoles, and even alternate ship skins). The flip side of this is the way rules changes and new gizmos can invalidate a character concept overnight. I have always loved this game best when the rules were not changing faster than I could adapt my customizables. I get demoralized most when it seems that I will not be able to make the changes necessary before the rules and gear are likely to change yet again.
- Success comes from knowledge and teamwork. This totally reflects the IP experience.
- I LOVE the rare PuG match where you are thrown in with people you don't know, without voice comunication, and there is enough skill and awareness of team mates that you patch together a battle that's almost worthy of a premade. When it happens, it makes me feel like I would actually belong in Starfleet or the KDF... and since someone earlier expressed a similar sentiment I'd like to renew my call for split PuG and Premade queues. Make fleet starbase battles the place for premades, and split up all teams so that arenas and cap and holds, et cetera, are entered singley and grouped randomly. Think of pre-mades as the planned naval offences and the PuGs as the reactionary crisis response. After all you don't always get to choose your battle... sometimes the battle chooses you.
PVP should be the obvious objective for roleplayers.
Just to get this out there, I don't do ground PVP's, space only. So nothing I say applies to Ground
Gotta say that Kerrat is one of my favorite places. The idea of having a objective while you have "real" enemies trying to kill you is great. I think that Kerrat should be debugged and overhauled. Seperate the spawns when the map resets, fix the npc's ..etc. I would also love to see more of these types of maps.
The current format of Fed v Fed, Fed v KDF, KDF v KDF is good. Maybe adding the Fed+KDF v Fed+KDF team option would be good, but don't get rid of the others.
I love the current space maps, except for solar wind. This one should be trashed, unless of course you hate my graphics card . Why do you hate my graphics card? What did it do to deserve that punishment?:p
Capture and Hold was a good idea, but needs work. It should have a way to tell how close you are to capping areas. Maybe adding more maps for this would be good also.
And lastly, thanx for the work you are putting into this Gozer. We appreciate it.