Lt. Commander
# 111
06-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pt41nk4ng4r00
Really? Like what? President of the Federation? The max rank is already VA, so there isnt much higher you can go before everyone is unrealistically high ranked. But none of that actually matters unless those new ranks come with new content to play through.
Full bird Admiral, Fleet Admiral, then of course I'm sure there will be some specially named ranks for the 70+ levels.

it is odd that there are so damn many Admirals flying around.
Lt. Commander
# 112
06-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
"shortly after S6 means the months following S6"

The software devs can begin working on the Foundry reward feature as soon as they are done with S6 tasks. We've already been planning to do this for some time, and as such the remaining "work" will be quick. So if S6 ships in July, then you may see Foundry Spotlight in Aug or Sept and that still leaves 3 months before end of the year (we have not announced when S7 is releasing other than before the end of the year).

We have heard the feedback and will be making changes to how players earn the rare limited time only ships. You've already seen a big change with the DS9 DOFF Promo. We will continue to tweak these offerings (as any retailer would) so that we strike the right balance with demand.
But that's the thing dstahl;

If you are offering them as a sweepstakes item, specifically awarded solely through purchasing ticket access as a lottery to win the prize, you are not operating as a retailer tweaking these offerings at all. Even when a retailer sells lotto tickets, they are just the broker. Hell, my local corner store has to ring the transaction through entirely separately to ensure legal propriety is maintained in the purchase of the lotto ticket.

Furthermore, without published odds on these opportunities where people are spending actual currency to acquire their shot at glory, this is dubious business for a 'retailer' at best.

We're not talking about a sale where I get a random discount on my purchase, we're talking that the only means to access these prizes is through a purchase.

There are rules for these kinds of competitions and sweepstakes for a reason in the business world because they are otherwise a carte blanche to abuse consumers completely blind to the real odds of winning.

I want to say that the DOFF packs were a step in the right direction, but I just can't. While better than the lockboxes, you are still structuring your business model on us gambling with real money for virtual property. The randomness of the DOFF packs themselves is irksome enough, but there is at least a very reliable baseline of output (the requirement for these in any trading card or CCG physical purchase as well; clearly defined, published and followed odds for acquisition of any given card in the minted set... do we have this for DOFF packs? To best of my knowledge, we do not.)

Forgive me good Sir, but while I believe your bottom line reacted to the backlash in people willing to spend money while this was your business strategy, I'm not convinced people were heard loud and clear until such time as these are dealt with far more transparently. Even saying that the DOFF packs were normalized for randomness appropriate to the expenditure point... Normalized to increase the odds or decrease them? After all, the DOFF Packs gave you stuff already, so normalizing the odds to reduce bug ship chances would be absolutely justifiable compared to a box whose only function was to be a random roll for this prize.

Without actual numbers you are compelled to follow, there is simply nothing to see here; move along, move along.

There are too many points of potential manipulation in the game model right now, connected to real money purchase, that are not nearly as transparent as they ought to be. That was a critical message in what your customers have been trying to tell you, loud and clear.
Lt. Commander
# 113
06-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Merriman
To quote Mr. Stahl....

"Season 7 will be entirely focused on adding a new sector and content to the game. You’ll be seeing the return to one of our key story lines as you begin the quest to resolve one of the key conflicts happening in the game."

If this storyline is about the Romulans, what better way to launch the Ambassador Class starship? It would tie everything together. simply awesome!...The possibilities are endless! I certainly can hardly wait to see what happens.
I can see it now.

Sorry admiral for the inturruption, but we asked you here because with the impending unification, we didn't know what to do with this... (he motions and we see the enterprise C. Could be quite the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 114
06-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Sorry you feel that way. We play the game constantly internally and have dedicated staff that play to max level and then start over and play to max level again. The issue is that you as a player are representative of one viewpoint and there are many others. We use data to support our decisions, not to make our decisions. It is very easy to sit back and "analyze" what you think is going on, but without hard data, it is very easy to make false assumptions. The days of "making games on gut feelings" doesn't fly in today's highly competitive market - you have to know the whole picture. That does include playing the game, but without data, you're ignoring many players who don't always speak up.
Dan, I've all the respect for you in the world, but I've got to say the response above feels very Inspector Lestrade of Scotland Yard of Sherlock Holmes fame... clinical and relying upon the data you can see. I'm not saying you need to 100% rely on your gut but I'd say that you need to find yourselves a Sherlock Holmes like Community rep one that can come in and challenge your conceptions... read the first Holmes Story A Study in Scarlet or even the first episode of the Moffet series Sherlock A Study in Pink.

The hard data shows everyone committed suicide but in fact where murdered... I'm happy your're hearing us about the disdain for the lock boxes and are trying to find some kind of happy middle ground.

The Idea that you have dedicated staff playing to max level, and then starting a new toon and doing it again is both fine and not at the same time. Might I suggest these intrepid internal players start one toon, play it to max level and try to really max out there toon with all (available) Mk XII Gear like the real players of the game do. Sure we'll start up a new toon now and then, but it's ipso facto to our playing of our main toon because there is no choice... we endlessly grind on our main toons, and because we love this game and it's IP so much, rather than just go play another company's game we start another toon and level that one...

When the STO servers are down, we go play Camps. Thank you for everything keep up the grate work and don't get jaded in this job you sir are a bright light in the otherwise darkness of the void.
Lt. Commander
# 115
06-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Quote:
...start thinking about how you’re going to get out of that Tholian web…
Tholian Web???
Dan, what are you talking about?

We've HAD a Tholian Web since the introduction of the CTM's and it's only gotten worse!

How will we get out if it? Well, obviously all we need to do is prevent them from even starting it!

Throw enough chroniton torpedoes, tractor beams, phaser procs and viral matrix at the Tholians to shut them down completely. They won't have a chance in hell to make a web. Then just bring in all the ridiculously OP Jimmies to 2-second-kill them.

Since it's what all the "best" players use already, it seems pretty easy to me.
Lt. Commander
# 116
06-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pt41nk4ng4r00
Really? Like what? President of the Federation? The max rank is already VA, so there isnt much higher you can go before everyone is unrealistically high ranked. But none of that actually matters unless those new ranks come with new content to play through.
that's what I was talking about.. because everyone is already the same rank.
Lt. Commander
# 117
06-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
brand new ones. see for yourself (at least on the klingon side)

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=273887
Ahh cool thank you for the link Revo.
Lt. Commander
# 118
06-16-2012, 09:55 PM
how about a date when this is happing and the sb get here so we got somthing to do kinda boed at mo
Lt. Commander
# 119
06-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfelly
Easiest way to help out Klingon leveling is adding patrols like the federation has in the starting system.

As for lockboxes I don't care for them but I'm not going to complain about them other than how about raising the chances and lowering the drop rate on the green boxes, it would go a long way with some of the people against them.
Klingons have become so leatherskinned at playing KDF anyway that if they had 1 mission left at all to lvlgrind theyd probably do it. I would much rather see endgame content for KDF now than 1-50. I do of course not speak for everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 120
06-17-2012, 06:19 AM
Is there a "lockbox filter" planned? The green ones drop very often and I never intend to open them.