Captain
# 10821
11-14-2013, 11:33 PM
*OOC: Sorry its been a little silent on my end picked up my new PS4 and I have papers due and stuff at work that needs to be resolved. So will post when I get the chance.*
Captain
# 10822
11-15-2013, 01:32 PM
*Terry is watching the USS Possibility being repaired, the crew is uneasy as the council placed the ship under his command over Phillips as Reynolds recovers. He has made inquiries about people to fill his team. He has heard nothing so far. Except one an older member of Vanguard who is semi retired. *

Danny: I guess you are the one who has called me in here...

Terry: You have been in this situation before.

Danny: It means little Captain.. I am not a man at his very best.. *coughing*

Terry: Do you need medic...

Danny: No.. This is my penance for my sins, the men I have killed were evil but so was I.. For wiping their existence and taking their future evils onto myself.

Allow this old soldier to do one more thing before his time runs out.

Terry: Is that what haunts you?

Danny: Yes.

*Staring at the ground as his coughing fit dies down*

I was not there for him when his mother died. I sent him to live with relatives while I took the lives of those that did it to me and my son.

Terry: Alright. Go check in with Vanguard they may want to know that you are retiring..

Danny: I am surprised that you are not turning me in.

Terry: No... I still think you have something to offer this galaxy...

*Elsewhere on the Citadel the Federation is sending aid to the Republic with the new Jegan and New Joker class frigates and Space Ark class cruisers*
Career Officer
# 10823
11-15-2013, 04:28 PM
As jacob reads through a padd a screen displays these words

" The hushed casket is opened"

Jacob: oh please tell me they havent firefly raise fleetcomm NOW!

Firefly: right away
Phil Coulson: And back up isn't coming. It'll be just the four of us. We'll be outmanned and outgunned. But Fury always said... a man can accomplish anything when he realizes he's a part of something bigger. A team of people who share that conviction can change the world. So, what do you say? You ready to change the world?
Career Officer
# 10824
11-15-2013, 06:59 PM
UNSC Facility
Planet designation alpha 1

genetics lab

The lab is mostly destroyed as an ODST squad arrives.

ODST: Captain test subject Bishop has escaped i repeat Bishop is no longer in the lab...

Jehrico 7

harper: this isnt good

Terrace: really what was your first clue combining precursor and normal dna together trying to revive something we have no idea what Bishop is capable of or where he will go.

Harper: relax we will find him before word gets out.

A freighter traveling through slipspace a tall well built man sits be himself watching those around him.

OOC: yes of course the UNSC is doing genetic experiments been doing them along time this one though might be a little out of there control
Phil Coulson: And back up isn't coming. It'll be just the four of us. We'll be outmanned and outgunned. But Fury always said... a man can accomplish anything when he realizes he's a part of something bigger. A team of people who share that conviction can change the world. So, what do you say? You ready to change the world?
Captain
# 10825
11-15-2013, 10:12 PM
*Yet another hallway in the Citadel. Voporak and Omet'etan, safe from being shot on the spot, contact the Red October.*

Voporak: ...so yes, that is why it is safe to decloak.

Mirra (currently in command with Voporak not onboard): If you say so, captain.

*The Andorian turns to Xa'vek, a Romulan in temporary place for Omet'etan*

Prepare to decloak.

*She hails the hidden timeships*

Please honor your end of the agreement, as we will.

*Upon receiving the confirmation from a timeship,*

Xa'vak: *with some amount of hesitation* Cutting power to the cloaking device, raising shields.

*30 assorted Mobius and Wells class ships appear out of sensor masking. And then, the grand centerpiece of all the temporal incursions begins distorting space visually. As its stealth goes down, the huge form is revealed. The shape of the Dominion dreadnought is still visible, but the outer hull is affixed with dozens of weapon firing points from the captured Scimitar warbird. Above the dreadnought's nacelle pylons are attached the wings of the Scimitar, giving it a menacing four-pronged look. Underneath the pylons are two pairs of warp nacelles, harvested from the Scimitar. The entire ship is colored a dark gray, varying in intensity, as well as a sickening green and purple glow coming from parts of vessel. The mechanical nightmare is armed to the teeth with weaponry.*

*Back with Voporak and Omet'etan*

Voporak: It's kinda funny how a hellish thing like this came to make peace.

Omet'etan: Funny?

Voporak: It's an expression... Jem'hadar don't have those, do they?

Omet'etan: None that I have ever learned of.

Voporak: Remind me to teach you to have a proper sense of humor.

Now let's go see what they're all up to. I bet they're planning another attempt at trying to get themselves killed while playing a futile game with powers they can't beat. Not unless, like, a deus ex machina happens to show up and save the day.

Omet'etan: I doubt they will ever listen. It'll just keep going on in this cycle.

Voporak: That's what we - what I am here for. To teach these Admirals and Presidents and Ambassadors that it's gotta end at some point. That the cycle can be broken.

Omet'etan: It'll just never happen if they keep throwing ships and lives at it.

Voporak: Exactly.

Omet'etan: But if we were to stage an intervention with all the galactic powers, which are conveniently massed here right now...

*Voporak grins*

I like where you're going with this. What do you have in mind?

Voporak: You'll see, you'll see. I just love it when a plan comes together.

*OOC: Will be gone for a lot of the day tomorrow...*
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.

Last edited by voporak; 11-15-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Captain
# 10826
11-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
*Yet another hallway in the Citadel. Voporak and Omet'etan, safe from being shot on the spot, contact the Red October.*

Voporak: ...so yes, that is why it is safe to decloak.

Mirra (currently in command with Voporak not onboard): If you say so, captain.

*The Andorian turns to Xa'vek, a Romulan in temporary place for Omet'etan*

Prepare to decloak.

*She hails the hidden timeships*

Please honor your end of the agreement, as we will.

*Upon receiving the confirmation from a timeship,*

Xa'vak: *with some amount of hesitation* Cutting power to the cloaking device, raising shields.

*30 assorted Mobius and Wells class ships appear out of sensor masking. And then, the grand centerpiece of all the temporal incursions begins distorting space visually. As its stealth goes down, the huge form is revealed. The shape of the Dominion dreadnought is still visible, but the outer hull is affixed with dozens of weapon firing points from the captured Scimitar warbird. Above the dreadnought's nacelle pylons are attached the wings of the Scimitar, giving it a menacing four-pronged look. Underneath the pylons are two pairs of warp nacelles, harvested from the Scimitar. The entire ship is colored a dark gray, varying in intensity, as well as a sickening green and purple glow coming from parts of vessel. The mechanical nightmare is armed to the teeth with weaponry.*

*Back with Voporak and Omet'etan*

Voporak: It's kinda funny how a hellish thing like this came to make peace.

Omet'etan: Funny?

Voporak: It's an expression... Jem'hadar don't have those, do they?

Omet'etan: None that I have ever learned of.

Voporak: Remind me to teach you to have a proper sense of humor.

Now let's go see what they're all up to. I bet they're planning another attempt at trying to get themselves killed while playing a futile game with powers they can't beat. Not unless, like, a deus ex machina happens to show up and save the day.

Omet'etan: I doubt they will ever listen. It'll just keep going on in this cycle.

Voporak: That's what we - what I am here for. To teach these Admirals and Presidents and Ambassadors that it's gotta end at some point. That the cycle can be broken.

Omet'etan: It'll just never happen if they keep throwing ships and lives at it.

Voporak: Exactly.

Omet'etan: But if we were to stage an intervention with all the galactic powers, which are conveniently massed here right now...

*Voporak grins*

I like where you're going with this. What do you have in mind?

Voporak: You'll see, you'll see. I just love it when a plan comes together.

*OOC: Will be gone for a lot of the day tomorrow...*
*OOC: I think it will be delayed for a bit but a brilliant idea as I think a couple things need to happen. Such as bringing Species 9042 and resolve their story and the idea and dangers of supermen so yes the being will be back.*

*The voice of the being rings again beside Voporak*

Being: It isn't likely that they can fight back but in the interm all they can do is throw what they can at them. Angel Halo is their salvation what they need is materials to build it and a valid site to build it in secret. The UGC consented to build it. What the worry is... is the Romulans...

*Elsewhere Danny arrives at the Vanguard building and looks at the wall..*
Starfleet Veteran
# 10827
11-16-2013, 11:20 AM
*S.S. Tora Zhiyal. Drake and Jack are in the Conference Room drinking coffee.*

Drake: Y'know, there's one thing I never understood, Jack.

Jack: Yeah?

Drake: Well, as far as I can tell, no one saw the Vanguard together after the Shadow War. What happened?

Jack: We had our reasons for splitting up the Vanguard. Forest wanted to find a cure for the Destroyer so he could finally live a normal life, Armada wanted to try to kep the team together... I don't know where Daniel went.

Drake: And Sanders? For that matter, why did you leave?

*Jack drops his head for a second.*

Jack: That ain't a door you wanna open, Drake.

*The comm chirps.*

Daxis *Over Comm*: Captain, we're entering orbit of Ora.

Drake: Understood. Clear us to land.

Jack: We're not beaming the supplies down?

Drake: They haven't got the equipment to move them down there, and do you know how difficult it is to beam down a grav-sled without it crushing on rematerialisation?

Nope, we've got to land and deliver it ourselves.

Jack: Ora doesn't have a space port yet. We'll have to land on the outskirts.

Drake: Yup.

What's up? Not exactly new for us to have to land. We do it all the time.

Jack: Yeah, but what about the new kid? Has she experienced a re-entry before?

Drake: She's a hopper, Jack. I'm sure she has.

Besides, if she's gonna be part of the crew, she'll have to go through a landing at some point.

And that's 'entry', not 're-entry'. We haven't left Ora's atmosphere before, so we can't re-enter it.

Jack: You knew what I meant.
My Fan Fictions
Starfleet Veteran
# 10828
11-16-2013, 12:16 PM
*The Zhiyal starts her descent, two obelisk-like structures rotating from the side of the ship and pointing downward as retro-thrusters at the front of the ship start the de-orbital burn.

Bridge*

Daxis: Periapsis height: 200km.

Periapsis is now within Ora's mesosphere and descending from 100km.

Drake: Keep us steady, Dax.

Daxis: Aye.

Periapsis now at 50km - within the stratosphere and decreasing rapidly. Ending retro-burn.

Altitude is 400km and dropping.

Periapsis has entered planetary body - we are on sub-orbital trajectory.

Drake: Engage electromagnetic motors.

Daxis: EM drives online. Slowing rate of descent.

Engaging vertical thrusters at 100km.

Altitude now at 300km.

Drake: Dax...

Daxis: Sorry.

Hull temperature rising slowly through thermosphere. Well within hull tolerances.

Altitude is 200km. Vertical speed is increasing.

120. Engaging vertical thrusters!

*Outside, the Zhiyal's vertical thrusters burst into life. As the ship enters the mesosphere, the hull begins to glow.*

We are experiencing shock-heating! Hull temperature rising rapidly!

Drake: Raise shields.

Daxis: Shields up.

Hull temperature dropping.

80km. We're inside the stratosphere. 60km and descending.

Rate of descent dropping.

40km.

10. Inside the troposphere.

7km and levelling out.

Altitude holding at 6,500m.

Drake: A little steeper than usual, Dax.

Daxis: Yes sir.

We're 100km off target. Compensating.

Done. Lowering thrust to bring us down on the outskirts.

6,000m.

Approaching the settlement. Initiating landing pattern to bring us down outside.

*The ship begins to enter a (controlled) downward spiral around the settlement.*

Increasing thrust again.

750m

Lowering landing stabilisers.

*The transport's landing legs extend from the belly of the ship and lock in place as the ship descends towards the surface, the retros firing one more time to cancel out the last of her lateral velocity.*

100m.

*He eases the throttle up gently.*

10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1.

*They feel a small rock as the ship touches down. The stabilisers contract slightly as they take the load of the ship's weight, before slowly lowering to allow egress through the exit ramps on the ship's belly. The cargo pods also slowly lower down so the hatches are at ground level.*

OOC: I really enjoyed writing this piece. I don't think people really appreciate how difficult it is to build a sizable space craft which can actually land. Because shape and aerodynamics don't really apply in space, you can shed a tone of extra mass by not bothering with it. The problem is that this makes it almost impossible to safely return such craft and by adding aerodynamic elements to a space craft, you're adding more mass and causing it to be almost impossible to even lift such a craft into orbit, unless it's about as big or smaller than the space shuttle. In Star Trek, they get around this by assembling space craft in orbit.

But even so, there's a limit to how big a space craft can be (i.e. how much mass it can have) while being able to land and take off and Starfleet ships aren't exactly aerodynamic as they are more warp-dynamic. Also, since different planets have different gravities, a starship with a weight of 500kg on Earth would weigh something like 185kg on Mars, or 1,250 at Jupiter, so landing stabilisers would have to take into account varying gravitational fields through some form of suspension.

Now you see why only the Intrepid, B'rel, Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and Defiant could land in the series.

I'd say the Zhiyal is smaller than the Intrepid, but definitely bigger than the Defiant, so it could conceivably land in canon (in terms of mass, coupled with the Zhiyal's special gimmick, which I'll get into later).

I hope you enjoyed this little physics lesson!
My Fan Fictions
Captain
# 10829
11-16-2013, 01:55 PM
*OOC: So Ryan.. Who all is in the Vanguard after 20 years?*

Danny: *Walks around the building feeling the ghosts of the past... his cough begins to occur again and falls to his knees.. his body feeling weak as he can't reach his hypo... *
Captain
# 10830
11-16-2013, 01:58 PM
*Director Mason's office the Broker comes on his terminal...*

Broker: Director. How has the last dozen or so years been?