Captain
# 15401
03-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan218 View Post
Tara A: She actually has a mother who's there for her and loves her, not to mention a father, and she chose to walk out on them! That ungrateful targ!
Lexi: A point I made abundantly clear to her. She knows and has to go about her path along, you have yours too. Only thing we can do is steer clear, and try and understand.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15402
03-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisedallen89 View Post
Lexi: A point I made abundantly clear to her. She knows and has to go about her path along, you have yours too.
Tara A: Look, not being funny, but she hates me as much as I hate her. Ever since I tried to kill her here, she wanted to beat me down.

Do you know what it's like for your own family to abandon you and then find that your alternate reality equivalent had the opposite - a loving family - and completely threw it away? If not, I'll tell you; it p**ses you off. She has no idea how lucky she is, and yet...

I'm going to tear her head off.

Old Wounds - Star Trek: Victorious (A Star Trek Online Fanfic)
"Only one human captain has ever survived combat with a Minbari Fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."
Captain
# 15403
03-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Tara A: Look, not being funny, but she hates me as much as I hate her. Ever since I tried to kill her here, she wanted to beat me down.

Do you know what it's like for your own family to abandon you and then find that your alternate reality equivalent had the opposite - a loving family - and completely threw it away? If not, I'll tell you; it p**ses you off. She has no idea how lucky she is, and yet...

I'm going to tear her head off.
Lexi: That is not going to fix what happened to you, she has it and she will see it in due time.
Career Officer
# 15404
03-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Elsewhere

Tyranus: director Anders your net has gotten lose.

Anders: I don't know what you mean.

Tyranus: a certain admiral cutter has learned of what you have been doing. And is meeting with the republic president in two days.

Anders: I will deal with him.

Tyranus: see that you do or...

She suddenly feels a constriction around her throat then it is gone.

Tyranus: the consequences will be most unpleasant.

Anders: it will be taken care of.
Phil Coulson: And back up isn't coming. It'll be just the four of us. We'll be outmanned and outgunned. But Fury always said... a man can accomplish anything when he realizes he's a part of something bigger. A team of people who share that conviction can change the world. So, what do you say? You ready to change the world?
Starfleet Veteran
# 15405
03-17-2014, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Lexi: That is not going to fix what happened to you, she has it and she will see it in due time.
Tara A: This isn't about me. This is about her being a selfish targ.

"Only one human captain has ever survived combat with a Minbari Fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."
Captain
# 15406
03-17-2014, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Tara A: This isn't about me. This is about her being a selfish targ.
Lexi: It is about both of you needing to back off. She will learn in due course.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15407
03-17-2014, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Lexi: It is about both of you needing to back off. She will learn in due course.
Tara A: Fine.

*Meanwhile, Dani and Tara are talking in their quarters.*

Dani: So, she provoked you?

Tara: Dani, she read my mind and picked the best ways to get me angry. I just... lost it.

Dani: Tara, you can't just go off like that.

Tara: I know. I'm usually good at not letting someone provoke me, but...

I don't know. I lost it with Emma once, but that was because she used me to hurt you, and it was only after she practically dared me to hit her. Tara... I just can't stand her and I don't know why.

Dani: You two didn't exactly start off on friendly terms.

C'mon, Tara, I know you held a grudge after she beat the tar out of you.

Tara: That's part of it, I guess. I don't know, she...

She hated me, I hated her, she hates me for that, I hate her back again.

Can we change the subject?

Dani: Okay. What do you want to talk about?

Tara: Well, I overheard a crewman talking about some kind of tournament?

Dani: Not a chance.

Tara: Why?

Dani: Tara, Gillian's taking part because she has training most military officers don't.

Tara: Cor'i.

Dani: Beat Gillian and I'll consider it. Oh wait, you can't.

*The two smirk.*

Tara: 50 creds.

Dani: Ask her first.

Tara: Just admit it sis, you don't want to fight me.

Dani: Okay, I admit it.

Can you blame me?

Tara: No. I wouldn't wanna fight me either.

Dani: Cute. Tara, one thing I'll never do is hurt you. No tournament.

Tara: Fine.

Can I at least watch you get the tar beat out of you?

Dani: 50 credits say I win.

Tara: 60.

Dani: 55.

Tara: 70.

Dani: That's not how it works!

Tara: Fine! 65.

Dani: Done.

*The two smile before Dani stands up, checking the time on her PADD.*

Right, I'm on duty. I've got to go over the duty roster with Ensign Colas and talk to Terry about security arrangements for when we arrive.

Otherwise, it'll be a slow day. I'll be on patrol on Deck 10 for most of the day, so I'll meet you in the gym.

Tara: How did you--?

Dani: T, come on. I saw you train while I was on the Zhiyal, and there isn't exactly room in here.

See you then.

Tara: Assuming I'm still there.

Dani: You'll be on Deck 10, one way or another.

*Dani walks out. Tara smiles before she grabs her bag and heads for the Crew Lounge.*

OOC: I don't know if you want to have one of your characters meet her in the corridor? Your choice, Allen.

Captain
# 15408
03-17-2014, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Tara A: Fine.

*Meanwhile, Dani and Tara are talking in their quarters.*

Dani: So, she provoked you?

Tara: Dani, she read my mind and picked the best ways to get me angry. I just... lost it.

Dani: Tara, you can't just go off like that.

Tara: I know. I'm usually good at not letting someone provoke me, but...

I don't know. I lost it with Emma once, but that was because she used me to hurt you, and it was only after she practically dared me to hit her. Tara... I just can't stand her and I don't know why.

Dani: You two didn't exactly start off on friendly terms.

C'mon, Tara, I know you held a grudge after she beat the tar out of you.

Tara: That's part of it, I guess. I don't know, she...

She hated me, I hated her, she hates me for that, I hate her back again.

Can we change the subject?

Dani: Okay. What do you want to talk about?

Tara: Well, I overheard a crewman talking about some kind of tournament?

Dani: Not a chance.

Tara: Why?

Dani: Tara, Gillian's taking part because she has training most military officers don't.

Tara: Cor'i.

Dani: Beat Gillian and I'll consider it. Oh wait, you can't.

*The two smirk.*

Tara: 50 creds.

Dani: Ask her first.

Tara: Just admit it sis, you don't want to fight me.

Dani: Okay, I admit it.

Can you blame me?

Tara: No. I wouldn't wanna fight me either.

Dani: Cute. Tara, one thing I'll never do is hurt you. No tournament.

Tara: Fine.

Can I at least watch you get the tar beat out of you?

Dani: 50 credits say I win.

Tara: 60.

Dani: 55.

Tara: 70.

Dani: That's not how it works!

Tara: Fine! 65.

Dani: Done.

*The two smile before Dani stands up, checking the time on her PADD.*

Right, I'm on duty. I've got to go over the duty roster with Ensign Colas and talk to Terry about security arrangements for when we arrive.

Otherwise, it'll be a slow day. I'll be on patrol on Deck 10 for most of the day, so I'll meet you in the gym.

Tara: How did you--?

Dani: T, come on. I saw you train while I was on the Zhiyal, and there isn't exactly room in here.

See you then.

Tara: Assuming I'm still there.

Dani: You'll be on Deck 10, one way or another.

*Dani walks out. Tara smiles before she grabs her bag and heads for the Crew Lounge.*

OOC: I don't know if you want to have one of your characters meet her in the corridor? Your choice, Allen.
*Lexi pats her on the head. *

Lexi: Trust my Brother.. I do fear for him a lot. Just settle in well okay.. If you want to talk my channel is open.

*She leaves and heads to the Crew Lounge.. Its crowded as people are a little more cheerful... She sits at the bar ordering the drink she wants...*

Gillian: So doll why is it that you are so much of a recluse...

Lexi: Well I could tell you but family being family is complex.

Gillian: Mine was simple enough..

Lexi: *Looking at the scar on her head hidden under the hair..* I thought that did not exist anymore.

Gillian: Well it still does. Some people just should not have children or care for them.

*Looking at the stool next to her*

May I?

Lexi: I haven't objected yet..

Gillian: *laughs a little as she sits down..*

Last edited by chrisedallen89; 03-17-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15409
03-17-2014, 04:52 AM
OOC: I thought I'd provide some extra insight into Republic Military ideology.

Despite the Armed Forces of the Republic of United Star Systems being a dedicated military, unlike Starfleet, the Republic does not place an emphasis on killing the enemy, but more on incapacitating them. They try to maintain a balance between practicality and preferability.

For example, phasers: While Federation Phasers have 16 settings or more, Republic phasers only have 6: Low stun, Stun, Heavy stun, Injure, Kill, Disintegrate. This is to allow flexibility in combat and non-combat situations without sacrificing response time. A Republic phaser will automatically switch from stun to injure when the increase setting control is tapped twice in quick succession.

Also, unlike Federation phasers, Republic phasers fire a nadion pulse, allowing a more controlled and conservative use of the power cell. If a power cell is fully discharged in one go, it cannot auto-recharge, so in this way, Republic phasers last longer at high power levels then Federation phasers, while sacrificing the beam's utility.

Combat knives: Unlike most other militaries, the Republic prefers to incapacitate, rather than kill. To this end, combat knives used by Naval Officers are a simple, barbless, double-edged blade capable of cutting into the flesh and being pulled out without severing arteries on the way out. The idea is to minimise internal damage while still incapacitating an enemy. They are also ergonomically designed to be most comfortable held in the hand with the blade pointing down, as opposed to up. This is to make it easier for an officer to transition from CQC (below) to a knife fight. The position is designed to allow for quickly drawing the knife and ease inflicting superficial injury, swinging the knife to keep your opponent at a distance being a common tactic. It also adds ease to defensive impalement, with a typical technique being to swing the knife into an opponent's back following a dodge, as opposed to thrusting the knife forward into an opponent, which can be defended from easier.

CQC Training: Again, this is based more on defence than offence, but Republic CQC does allow for a high amount of power. Republic Naval Officers are taught Basic CQC (B/CQC), which focuses on self-defence and knocking the enemy unconscious quickly (i.e. high-powered strikes and basic blocks). Meanwhile, Naval Security Officers are taught Intermediate-to-Advanced CQC (I/CQC-to-A/CQC), depending on their skill level. This involves various martial art forms aimed at taking down an opponent quickly and conditioning the officer to endure drawn-out fights. However, at the advanced level, officers are also taught to consistently block and evade their opponent, wearing them down.

RNMC Marines are also taught Advanced CQC (A/CQC), though typically to a higher standard, however, this again depends on the individual's skill level. The same can be said for Planetary Defence Forces' Regular Troops. Militia Troops are trained in Basic then bought up to Advanced depending on skill-level.

RAO Troopers are trained in a variation of A/CQC called Extreme CQC (E/CQC). This is fundamentally the same as A/CQC, except troopers are trained to endure and deal-out much greater brutality.

Other: The Republic Naval Forces serve a variety of roles across Republic Space from External Defence, to Local Security. In fact, the Republic Navy operates a Local Security Division, also known as the Republic Naval Police Fleet. This fleet typically consists of older and/or lighter designs which are ideal for patrols in uncontested areas.

(NOTE: Samantha Allington was a part of the Police Division when she was introduced.)

Since this group effectively serves to assist local authorities and deal with criminals local authorities can't handle, they can be considered the Republic's Military Police Bureau.

These Officers traditionally wear a black variant of the typical RNF jumpsuit when planetside or on a civilian installation providing security. Under these circumstances, they'd be armed with a hand phaser and defensive baton.

The defensive baton is similar to a 21st Century Nightstick, but ergonomically designed so the handle fits comfortably in the hand with the shaft running back along the forearm to the elbow, to block strikes or blades safely. It also functions as a stun-stick, with an electrical 'prod' at the base to debilitate attackers. The baton is made from Carbon Tritanium, making it light and strong enough to be used against even Vulcan opponents with success. It also makes a useful offensive weapon, providing a hard metal contact to forearm strikes. It is also used by certain PDF, RNMC and RAO units. RNF units also keep a stock of these for good practice as, while the RNF Police Fleet is dedicated to this purpose, every Republic Starship may be at one time required to supplement their numbers.

I'll come up with some more later. I just thought that this would give a good insight into how the Republic Military is run.

Last edited by ryan218; 03-17-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15410
03-17-2014, 04:54 AM
Quote:
*Lexi pats her on the head. *

Lexi: Trust my Brother.. I do fear for him a lot. Just settle in well okay.. If you want to talk my channel is open.

*She leaves and heads to the Crew Lounge.. Its crowded as people are a little more cheerful... She sits at the bar ordering the drink she wants...*

Gillian: So doll why is it that you are so much of a recluse...

Lexi: Well I could tell you but family being family is complex.

Gillian: Mine was simple enough..

Lexi: *Looking at the scar on her head hidden under the hair..* I thought that did not exist anymore.

Gillian: Well it still does. Some people just should not have children or care for them.

*Looking at the stool next to her*

May I?

Lexi: I haven't objected yet..

Gillian: *laughs a little as she sits down..*
*Tara walks in, walking to the bar and getting a glass of water before sitting at the panoramic windows, watching the stars streak by. She sets her bag down next to her, taking out a PADD and drawing on it with a stylus.*