Lt. Commander
# 61 F2P vs Pay
06-18-2012, 12:43 PM
I've been back since one week prior to F2P. F2P has been a godsend to STO.

"To play the game with absolutely nothing was weird to say the least"
As a F2P player, I've never gone "without" anything that a subscribed member or gold member might have. I mean no disrespect, but it amazes me at how alot of paying/gold members think they are better that F2P player. It even amazes me that they think we have "nothing".

F2P players can basically get the exact same items in-game, that any member/gold player does. Just because we may choose not to spend real money, doen't mean we have nothing. There's always dilithium crystals to collect and trade for c-points. The only main difference to most of the F2P players is... we may not get some items right off the bat.

"When I talked to recruiters they kept telling me to grind missions and get credits no one was willing to give up any cash"
I do have to admit, I agree with the recruiters. Sure, giving away credits may be a good way to get members... but... They could just as easily turn around and leave. Giving away credits should be something thats earned over time for doing well. My members receive nothing at join up, but the rewards after they've proven themselves are alot higher than just 50k.

"I logged into my gold account and sent my f2p 250,000. This enabled me to get the kind of gear i wanted to be successful grinding missions."
Wow! That's pretty decent, but alas, as most of us know, new accounts dont actually "start out" with a crapload of credits. Want to impress? Do like the rest of us do. Gind from the start. Have zero credits. Make do with what you collect while you're rising to the top. Giving a F2P character 250k.... doesn't really qualify as F2P. Get rid of all that junk and start from absolute scratch, with nothing in the bank, no HG sets, no fleet, and just run missions using ONLY what you collect. That's F2P!

"There is real pressure to purchase c-store points when playing f2p because the beginner ship looks like a trash can"
Only advice I can give..... deal with it. It's all part of F2P and building it up. There's no reward if someone is given everything they want/need in the game. I also play F2P because I enjoy the reward and feeling of actually "earning" something. Not just mailing stuff to me from another account.

lucianalliance
"But honestly the only purpose I see for your "experiment" of slumming around STO is to stir up trouble on the forums. I pity you."

DMA-1986
"You went from anger to pity?
That's a coincidence, I feel the same way about you."

F2P is the savior of STO. If Cryptic didn't merge with PWE, STO would have been gone long ago. So be thankfull to all the F2P players out there that are helping keep your game alive! We may not get certain items as quickly as Golds, but we do get them, and in no way does that hinder our ability to do anything. some of us F2P players have maxed out banks for both personal and fleet. We have d'koras. We have the ability to get c-points for free. We have all purple bridge officers. We have all purple Doffs. We have the ability to get more character slots as well as more costume slots. We can buy keys. We can start and run an extremely well fleet with triple digit members and growing extremely fast.

We can do absolutely anything that a Silver/Gold/Paying member can.
I have such pity for anyone who thinks otherwise.

http://hobog.guildportal.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL48UdbdIh0

Become a "real" F2P player... not just F2P, with expensive "gifts" from another account.
I AM the Green Monster, and I approve this message!

Yawne'wI'
Lt. Commander
# 62
06-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangulum_Phoenix
Yes i was spoiled as a child and threw tantrums when my mother said no to me. So what.:p
You still do today as an adult!
Lt. Commander
# 63
06-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Sorry for another post. Believe it or not, this is actually a mistake! Accidentally posted last message twice, so.... edit!

http://hobog.guildportal.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL48UdbdIh0

I AM the Green Mosnter, and I approve this message!

Yawne'wI'
Lt. Commander
# 64
06-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharyssa
Do they have to buy a key to open it? :p
LOL . . thats good i liked that . . . . i just hope there isn't as much pity floating in space as there are boxes that need unlocking
Lt. Commander
# 65
06-19-2012, 07:23 AM
The secret to the success of f2p are folks like me. I've subscribed here and there almost entirely to get more inventory slots (which I could live without if I HAD to), but only for a small fraction of my play time -- f2p keeps me here for the majority of time I don't subscribe.

And I've probably spent $250 in the cryptic store. Without f2p, I wouldn't have.

That's the secret that's getting MMOs to finally realize f2p is a good business plan.
Lieutenant
# 66 Oh really?
06-21-2012, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
The secret to the success of f2p are folks like me. I've subscribed here and there almost entirely to get more inventory slots (which I could live without if I HAD to), but only for a small fraction of my play time -- f2p keeps me here for the majority of time I don't subscribe.

And I've probably spent $250 in the cryptic store. Without f2p, I wouldn't have.

That's the secret that's getting MMOs to finally realize f2p is a good business plan.
Oh you've made my day a gloriously happy one. Thank you, our game will survive with true gamer's like you.
Commander
# 67
06-21-2012, 01:20 PM
when i first read this a week or so ago i wanted to add that F2P folks couldnt even post on the forums at all not even int he tech support section but now that the forums are in PWE hands i can actually post a reply and let you know that it used to be the case... now it looks like i can now :-P
Ensign
# 68
06-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Quote:
when i first read this a week or so ago i wanted to add that F2P folks couldnt even post on the forums at all not even int he tech support section but now that the forums are in PWE hands i can actually post a reply and let you know that it used to be the case... now it looks like i can now :-P
And now I'M FREEEE.....Mwahaha!!!

F2P isn't that bad. I can spend money when I want or grind for dil when I don't. I just picked up 2 character slots so I'm no longer stuck with just the 2 characters. Next on the list for me is to bump up the EC limit so eventually I can get that D'kora for the Ferengi character I started yesterday.

I'm having tons of funs..

__________________________________________________ ___________
Commander
# 69
06-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgazer View Post
And now I'M FREEEE.....Mwahaha!!!

F2P isn't that bad. I can spend money when I want or grind for dil when I don't. I just picked up 2 character slots so I'm no longer stuck with just the 2 characters. Next on the list for me is to bump up the EC limit so eventually I can get that D'kora for the Ferengi character I started yesterday.

I'm having tons of funs..
yes i am indeed free, at least free'er than i was, i actually feel more like an actual person in the STO community now that i can actualy post my feedback and ask for help on varies things, felt like i was just total garbage before.

but yes, good luck on your dill grind for extra EC space , took me a good month or so for another 2 char slots and im glad i got them a while back now that the dill-C-point conversion rate has hit around 330 - 340 now O_o and with a hard refine cap , it may be a few years before i get into that tier V akira i always wanted. well i actualy wanted a teir IV one so i got it free when i hit 40 but i guess its something i can work for now.
Survivor of Remus
# 70
07-01-2012, 10:28 AM
omg if you have followed this persons post from way back you will notice this person is a trouble starter, as a matter of fact in previous post this person has stated clearly that if there isn't strife and people aren't sad he hasn't done his job.

i call it like i see it you are a Troll.

oh and by the way you are not gods gift to stf's

**Waves**

oh yeah i am a gold player so don't think to call me a F2P though i have nothing against f2p alot of my best bud's on STO are F2P and i started out as F2P

Last edited by finious2; 07-01-2012 at 10:31 AM.