Lt. Commander
Firstly, let me just say I've nothing against Chinese companies, persons or products, but the Chinese industry is todate quite infamous when it comes to producing cut-rate ripoffs.

I was taking a break from hosting the weekend's STF and shipbuilding lectures for newbies and went on youtube to check out some Klingon music, where I chanced upon a promotional video of the new Chinese J-20 "stealth" fighter.

I found the video... interesting, in completely the wrong way. The scenes and plot of the CGI film were very familiar to me somehow.

Halfway through, I realized the Chinese made a literal word for word copy of the Eurofighter Typhoon: Nothing Comes Close video, which was also intended as a promotional video of a new stealth-capable multirole fighter aircraft.

The difference here is that Eurofighter's video was generally well executed as an original British concept - they made it have some entertainment value in the form of familiar Hollywood imagery and drama.

The Chinese on the other hand simply copied everything and tried to add a few 'nationalistic' touches of their own... and made themselves and their fighter program look absolutely silly.

Don't believe me?

Have a look at these youtube videos:

1) Eurofighter Typhoon: Nothing Comes Close
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvEDSI1nf3E

2) Chinese J-20 Stealth Fighter Search & Destroy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbUu6OHgLIo

Seriously, what were the Chinese thinking copying Eurofighter's video. It does give some hints as to the J-20's design influences doesn't it? After all, it looks like a cheap YF-23 clone with Eurofighter canards. The J-20 despite marketing claims, would also likely have minimal to no stealth capabilities, judging from the external design alone.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Heh, do someone remember Soviet space shuttle Buran? Or Tupolev Tu-144 "Concordski"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buran_(spacecraft)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-144
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Or there is their new ground vehicle that is complete not a Humvee, or the J11 and how it is completely home-built with absolutely nothing in common with the SU35 (the politics of that deal are hilarious). They talk about sending someone to to moon, I half wonder if they're going to use a 'domestically developed' Saturn V to do it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
Seriously, what were the Chinese thinking copying Eurofighter's video. It does give some hints as to the J-20's design influences doesn't it? After all, it looks like a cheap YF-23 clone with Eurofighter canards. The J-20 despite marketing claims, would also likely have minimal to no stealth capabilities, judging from the external design alone.
Oh you know...
J-20
Typhoon
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Oh you know...
J-20
Typhoon
Canards (and possible flight control software similarities) aside they're completely different aircraft. The question remains - why did the Chinese copy the Eurofighter movie?

Of course, it could fool people (in the PRC?) who have never seen an Eurofighter Typhoon nor have not seen it in computer games and youtube.

The sources quoted in the wikipedia J-20 article also mention a lot of controversy regarding the J-20's stealth capabilities, though acknowledge that the prototype was rushed to flight capability and likely will undergo changes before serial production.

There was also a pair of photos circulated on Jalopnik and sister sites showing a comparison between the J20 and the F/A-22 cockpits. The dimensions and canopy rail design are strikingly identical.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-18-2012, 07:32 AM
LOL, i'm surprised the J-20 isn't shown fireing phasers . . it's just that awesome . . i also love the universal missile bay opening up and all sorts shoot out :-) . . you weren't kidding when you said they've copied the Eurofighter vid almost to the letter . .

Enjoyed the Eurofighter vid though . . loved the guy with the cigar at the ground to air missile installation, the only down bit was that he wasn't exploded toward the screen shouting (Hopefully with snapped cigar) . . going "aarrgghhhh" as every movie baddie should.

Funny stuff :-)
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-18-2012, 02:35 PM
This is why I snicker a bit when one of my someone starts going on about how the Chinese could take over the world at anytime. :p The worlds a bit big for these kind of shenanigans.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace
This is why I snicker a bit when one of my someone starts going on about how the Chinese could take over the world at anytime. :p The worlds a bit big for these kind of shenanigans.
Hmmn, they already are. They own a lot of American debt, properties... and this MMORPG called Star Trek Online.