Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
06-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
This hurt deeply... Being a parent myself... How anyone can be so stupid is beyond me.

But South Korea is not the only country with this problem:

http://mashable.com/2010/10/28/farmv...r-mother-baby/
Truly sad, both cases are horrible, there are some wretched people that children have the great misfortune to have as 'parents'.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-17-2012, 01:53 PM
This is about them banning virtual faming bots, and virtual trading for real world cash. its not about banning virtual items themselves.

considering that literally all mmo's in asia have the free to play with microtransactions it would cripple the entire industry if they banned the whole thing.

this is a storm in a teacup.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
many other countries are doing this as well.
Canada is planning legislation this fall.
It won't matter to cryptic. They have a plan i bet.
Don't worry, Charlie... I've got an angle.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSilhouette View Post
Don't worry, Charlie... I've got an angle.
That was one of the best bits from that movie....heh...

STERN!!
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
Truly sad, both cases are horrible, there are some wretched people that children have the great misfortune to have as 'parents'.
I mean... I could understand if it was some 13 year old kid locked inside a closet, but I can't get into my head why adult people who at least had to... do what is needed to make a kid in the first place would leave the poor little thing. I mean, I have been playing games ALOT for the past 18 or so years, but I would never in my dreams not pay attention to my kids needs.

Sadly those cases are far from unique, and not unique to one place in the world. Gaming addiction is real, and as such there needs to be some kind of control like other addictive materials (not just talking drugs here).
This is the first step taken, but I seriously doubt it will be the last, and the gaming industry should look ahead and make plans for how they are going to tackle it. Especially the F2P games, would suffer from this.

There is a good chance Captain_Revo is right, and this is really just the whole Player2Player trades (Poor Diablo 3), but the reality is that the specific law is somewhat vague as to who it targets, so it could also be the whole deal... We simply don't know (unless more info can be provided... I could'n find any).
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Yeah, exactly, the article deals with gamers selling virtual items via ebay or goldselling websites, and great numbers of students there apparently getting so carried away with their little 'businesses' that it takes away time from their scholastic work.. It's not really about the C-store or anything like it.

And it's a little bit disappointing, that you'd quote the article, but not read it. As seems to go for everyone on page one. Though I admit the English in is a bit straining, as it seems to have a very subtle but weird twist to it.

Also, not that I'm proud of it, but here's another example of gaming related idiocy outside Korea: http://www.disinfo.com/2012/02/boy-c...in-video-game/
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Oh I dont know about the not reading part but this paragraph seems pretty clear:

Quote:
For arcade games, game providers will be unable to list in-game items in their accounts as property, or handout gift certificates for item purchases
Each C-point is a gift certificate and it is traded for either an in-game currency to other players or for an item in the shop.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-17-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't think Cryptic'll see it that way. Cryptic, and most other MMO developers with it, regularly stress that you do not own anything in your account, as justification for them forbidding players from messing up the in-game economy through gold-selling and eBay.

Cryptic does offer literal C-point gift certificates, though. And I suppose the transferable ship-crates gotten from Lockboxes could be interpreted as virtual I.O.U.s redeemable on use. I'm just not quite sure if that's what they meant, and if nothing else, Cryptic's not an Arcade game but rather an online RPG as described three paragraphs before.

Still, the entire thing is meant to keep players firmly entrenched in the role of consumer, rather than let it turn into a if-not-legitimate, at least profitable profession. CryPWE's likeliest response to such a law would be, I imagine and if at all necessary, no more C-point gift certificates, and all lockbox loot becomes bind on pickup. So I'd hold off on declaring victory for now.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-17-2012, 03:16 PM
I think this is more targeted at Blizzard and Diablo 3. Along with gold and item selling sites. Still, the fall out from these legal changes might force some changes on the MMO market.

Thanks for the heads up Mav, quite an interesting turn of events.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavgeek View Post
Again we don't know yet, the exact wording of the law. They may include all microtransactions.

Even if they don't, what about the Dilithium Exchange? Again it's paying real money (buying C-Store points) then using that to purchase a virtual item (Dilithium). This isn't a system of just player to player trades, it's an actual in-game feature put in by the developers of the game. Would they have to remove the Dilithium Exchange? Or find some other mother of exchanging currency for currency?

And I really hate this being in Ten Forward, the potential outcome of this could possibly affect STO, and more people read General Discussion than Ten Forward
This right now has zero effect on STO as STO doesn't have a Korean localization. And as has been stated above - unless similar legislation is passed in the major Western countries; while I'm sure PWE and Cryptic are paying attention to it; right now, it's not an issue for STO.

The MMO developer that's more likely to be majorly affected is NCSoft who is based in Korea.