Captain
A while ago @spektre12 posted his suggestion for a LCARS themed forum.

While this new forum still uses conventional forum code (as all standard, functional forums today do) I do like the new "viewscreen" banner. The perspective in the viewscreen style banner is scaled just right that it's something I'd imagine like the panoramic view out of the front window of an Odyssey class if you were to stand on the bridge.

I know, the perspective in-game doesn't give the same feeling, but that's because we're viewing the game world through a flat screen and a 'flat' perspective. RL depth of field would give a much more spectacular view out of such a panoramic viewport than presented in static POV (in game).
Captain
# 2
06-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Youre kidding, right?

This whole new site, while shiny and new, is designed horribly. It relies too much on PWEs infrastructure and systems (i.e.: Zen where C-points would have been just fine, or requireing a PW account to post when it worked just fine before.). Its cluttered and the forums take up MORE vertical space than they used to. Its like the PWE/Cryptic web designers decided to throw everything that was un needed into a website redesign... and then proceded to get rid of the in-game mail system, and didnt bother bringing back the in-game friends list (and then decided to add in facebook... for no good reason)

Its a mishmash of stuff, and I dont think anybody who designed this should be proud of it... its horrible.

Not only that... but it seems that whoever was tending the forum database of users doesnt know how to transfer them... theres no reason we should have to restart our post counts because of this... and its a step back with no avatar customization and other such stuff.
Empire Veteran
# 3
06-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Oh please dont tell me the STO community is going to go on again about bloody c-store points

its old look we can earn Zen by doing stuff and not spending money and for that i am all for it
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Sure, the header looks visually nice. But it's so much wasted space.

And the forum's style is set to a fixed width, so nothing scales as you change your browser window size. Booo to fixed width here.

I don't recall -- were these forums using vBulletin before, or something else? If it was vBulletin, it's a shame we don't have the previous theme as an option.

edit: Additionally, no matter how "slick" it may end up being, it's really difficult to win the membership over with a surprise update and change. Sure, it'll calm down eventually, but I foresee some rough waters ahead for a little bit.

Last edited by synkr0nized; 06-19-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Commander
# 5
06-20-2012, 01:15 AM
Calling the new forums "slick" is about the same as passing off Epoxy as K-Y Jelly. The functionality of it is horrible. I don't understand how anyone actually prefers this over the basic layout we had before. I'm all for redesigns, but this design certainly doesn't merit the fashion over function aspect.

A proud member of Sinfully Sexy. Join us.
Rihannsu
# 6
06-20-2012, 04:25 AM
My god this new layout is an eyesore. If it isn't broke...don't ruin it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
06-20-2012, 04:48 AM
Agreed there was no point to this and its a giant eye-sore! But what are we gonna do, just complain about it and nothing will be done and we'll just have to live with our eyes being sore for eternity.
Ensign
# 8
06-20-2012, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Its cluttered and the forums take up MORE vertical space than they used to. Its like the PWE/Cryptic web designers decided to throw everything that was un needed into a website redesign... and then proceded to get rid of the in-game mail system, and didnt bother bringing back the in-game friends list (and then decided to add in facebook... for no good reason)

Its a mishmash of stuff, and I dont think anybody who designed this should be proud of it... its horrible.

Not only that... but it seems that whoever was tending the forum database of users doesnt know how to transfer them... theres no reason we should have to restart our post counts because of this... and its a step back with no avatar customization and other such stuff.
This +1

Apparently using a quote doesn't count and since the forum won't let me post a message under 10 characters in length I'll just randomly ramble on about nothing for a moment just so I can agree with something someone else already said. :frown:

__________________________________________________ ___________
Career Officer
# 9
06-20-2012, 04:59 AM
Yay new shiny forums.....wait a min they don't look very 'new', looks more like the {UFP}'s did a few years ago

If it ain't broke don't fix it :frown:
Ensign
# 10
06-20-2012, 05:05 AM
Actually i see two issues here:

1. Functionality. I didn't go very far yet, but replying to a thread is more cumbersome (even if it's just one mouseclick) than in the previous version.
2. Official presentation. The visual part might be allright, but why do i need to log in before being able to browse the forum?

From a marketing point of view, this is an extremely bad move for STO. You have to consider why forums usually are set up for registered members only. The usual reasons are:
1. The forums belong to a small group of people, who prefer to stay with themselves.
2. The forum has serious issues with the behaviour of its members, so they want to hide the "bile" from the public.

Neither of those two points is true for the STO forum, though. Big portions of the forum are dedicated for helping other players and most of the players in the forum are kind and helpful. Thus the STO forum up to now was a nice advetisement for the game.

This is even more emphasized by the fact that the developers regularily use the forum to make announcements and even to get feedback from other players. Such clearly visible interaction between the dev-team and the players is rare and again adds to the games appeal.

Indeed, in theory the forum had only an advertising character to a small part of the games potential playerbase, but considering that the Nerd-factor in STO is higher than in many games (and that we are proud to be Nerds!), a well run forum is more of an advertisement for this game than for many others, while at the same time being rather cost efficient.

Thus locking the forum and hereby limiting access to players who already are registered seems a bad move to me. If new (potential) players want to inform themselves about the game, they now run into a wall at the official forums and if they have any questions before starting the game, they'll find their "information" at other places, which quite likely hold wrong or outdated information. To keep up the good public presentation of the game, it makes sense to switch the forum to public access again.