Career Officer
# 1 Free Offers Under Earn Zen
06-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Do we have some kind of assurance that the sites are legitimate and are not trying to scam for personal information? Some of them sound ridiculously sketchy and they all seem like a "CONGRATULATIONS YOU JUST WON THE NIGERIAN LOTTERY" banner ad.

I would rather not have anything to do with Zen. I would prefer to just come to the STO site and click on the button that says "Buy C-Points".
Commander
# 2
06-20-2012, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark535 View Post
Do we have some kind of assurance that the sites are legitimate and are not trying to scam for personal information? Some of them sound ridiculously sketchy and they all seem like a "CONGRATULATIONS YOU JUST WON THE NIGERIAN LOTTERY" banner ad.

I would rather not have anything to do with Zen. I would prefer to just come to the STO site and click on the button that says "Buy C-Points".
Some PWE mouthpiece may come along later and censor what I have to tell you, but I'll at least try:

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, USE AN EMAIL ADDRESS THAT YOU ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT to the 'free' offers. (Surveys, etc.)

Whatever email you provide them WILL BE CEASELESSLY SPAMMED with offers. The throw away account I use for them gets on the order of 1000 spam mails per day.

If you make the mistake of giving them a real phone number, it will be rung ENDLESSLY. (This was not something I did; I read the horror stories on other forums.)

And while I do not directly fault PWE for it, there is also a high chance that some of these places are not on the up-and-up, and will turn your info over to scammers. I won't tell you to lie, but even the free offers want enough information to commit identity theft, so you should probably consider whether giving so-and-so survey accurate info is really such a good idea.

The only possibly safe bets are the ones the require you to end up buying something from a known, established company. Netflix promos, etc.
Captain
# 3
06-20-2012, 12:55 AM
I know. I tried to use them with a fake mail, but it did not work (I tried one with my real stuff and it did not work either though). and I am sure as hell wont give these sites my email, that is used for gaming and all... (even if I use this as a secondary mail, even this does not deserve the spam)

so the only good way would be to create a new account, with an email address dedicated for this reason. though I could not expect this, when I linked my email to the game at the start of the beta
Commander
# 4
06-20-2012, 03:14 AM
Well, I don't know if they're going through other datamining companies besides Peanut Labs, but I can tell you for a FACT that Peanut Labs rarely delivers. You can get all the way through their surveys, only to find out you don't qualify (at the very end, very convenient), yet they still have all the information they needed to get from your session. I wouldn't trust using them even if they changed their business ethics from a couple years back, but that's just me.

A proud member of Sinfully Sexy. Join us.
Captain
# 5
06-20-2012, 03:18 AM
The whole point of those trashy surveys is that you feed them false info and use dummy accounts, dude. Some people recommend Virtual Machine environments or using a dump partition you don't care about (a lot of these sites are malware-ridden).

If you're really that desperate for "Zen", the one thing I absolutely advise you not to do under ANY circumstances is give a real phone number. The amount of phone harass you'll get is positively insane and getting your number delisted from these spam centers is really, lreally hard/convoluted.

EDIT: I recommend skipping about 95% of the "survey" offers. As the poster above mentioned, these crappy scam sites will pretend to be "gauging" you for viability in the survey, i.e. if you're the right demographic material or not. It's just a lie so they can take your personal info (as well as your survey answers) for free and make off like criminals. Classy!
Captain
# 6
06-20-2012, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattimeo97 View Post
Some PWE mouthpiece may come along later and censor what I have to tell you, but I'll at least try:

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, USE AN EMAIL ADDRESS THAT YOU ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT to the 'free' offers. (Surveys, etc.)

Whatever email you provide them WILL BE CEASELESSLY SPAMMED with offers. The throw away account I use for them gets on the order of 1000 spam mails per day.

If you make the mistake of giving them a real phone number, it will be rung ENDLESSLY. (This was not something I did; I read the horror stories on other forums.)

And while I do not directly fault PWE for it, there is also a high chance that some of these places are not on the up-and-up, and will turn your info over to scammers. I won't tell you to lie, but even the free offers want enough information to commit identity theft, so you should probably consider whether giving so-and-so survey accurate info is really such a good idea.

The only possibly safe bets are the ones the require you to end up buying something from a known, established company. Netflix promos, etc.
Yeah I tend to agree with this. Use a backup email address, and avoid giving your phone number unless you trust the company in question (the netflix ones for example)

Use common sense and you'll be grand I assure you.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark535 View Post

If you are that scared, then just watch the videos. It takes more time to earn up zen, but it keeps you and your emails safe.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-20-2012, 08:30 AM
To be honest, I'm not going to be data-mined by these chumps. It's pretty disgusting that PWE is behaving like this and working with companies that behave like that. Makes them look rather seedy and disreputable. I hope Cryptic is either bought by somebody that actually has integrity or goes independent at some point.
Lieutenant
# 9
06-21-2012, 10:51 AM
for the free offers only do what is required to get the zen. In part because most of the time you don't need to fill out everything. And put in fake info. Most of the time you don't need to do everything
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
06-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeneezergoode View Post
To be honest, I'm not going to be data-mined by these chumps. It's pretty disgusting that PWE is behaving like this and working with companies that behave like that. Makes them look rather seedy and disreputable.
Hard to believe that a Chinese company would do something disreputable with an MMO

My advice to everyone is to ignore the "free" offers.

Quote:
I hope Cryptic is either bought by somebody that actually has integrity or goes independent at some point.
Cryptic started out independent and it didnt work out as well as was hoped and were bought by Atari. I dont see them going independent again.