Lt. Commander
# 161
10-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basicacorn View Post
Do Klingons follow the same three types of characters ie tactical, engineer, science?
Yes, they do get the same careers.
Lt. Commander
# 162
10-02-2009, 12:32 AM
what will be the idea time frame for player advancement, how long can we expect itto take to actually rank up? also will there be any type of "set" bonus for our BO or any equipment we have?
Lt. Commander
# 163
10-02-2009, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandben View Post
I hope there are replicators and you can use them. For example get something from the replicator and walk around with it ( say around the bridge ). That would be nice.
I would think they have more pressing concerns with the game
Lt. Commander
# 164
10-02-2009, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Starblazer View Post
I would think they have more pressing concerns with the game
Yes, but it wouldn't take too long to do, and you get get some kind of currency and insert it into the replicator for buffs, such as precision bonus, if you're going on an away mission and things like that.
Lt. Commander
# 165
10-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandben View Post
Yes, but it wouldn't take too long to do, and you get get some kind of currency and insert it into the replicator for buffs, such as precision bonus, if you're going on an away mission and things like that.
Oh, please, no buffs!
Lt. Commander
# 166
10-02-2009, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS
Q 1: Will we be able to walk around our ship and / or other players ships?
Q 2: Will we be able to board another players / npc's ship and attempt to take it over?
Q 3: Will we be able to fire starship weapons at planets / colony's?
If so will we be able to use weapons of mass destruction or blockade a planet / system?
Q 4: Are we allowed to asymble / steal / trade technology *Ie.. can we steal cloaking or better weapons*?
Q 5: Do we have to be in the Federation? Can we be indipendant and kill / attack who ever we want?
Q 6: The Federation itself has no currency, what about the other races / factions that do?
Q 7: Can you build your charicter along the lines of Warlord?
Q 8: Can you capture other players / npc's and put them in the brig, or torture them for information?
Q 9: If your ship is destroyed, do you automatically get a replacement with a fully functional crew with SP spent?
Everything we know about STO is a great thread to read. It answers some of your questions and tells you even more. Those questions it doesn't answer aren't exactly "player progression" questions and won't be answered anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 167
10-02-2009, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
One question that spooked my mind for quite a while.

From my understanding I have to choose my career path during the charakter generation. So this would be the first character progress decision. After that, I have to choose my ship. But what if I decide to choose be an engineer? There is no proper ship waiting for me. Science captains will get the Miranda, Tactical officers will take the Centaur. And the engineers? Is there really no ship for them?
The information provided from Cryptic says that starting out every Starfleet character will get a Miranda class ship as the starter ship. When you are eligible for a Tier 1 ship then based on your decision of career path you will get a Tier 1 ship. So far Cryptic has said publicly only that the Tier 1 Tactical ship you will get is the Saber class. They have not said AFAIK what the Tier 1 Science or Engineering ship will be. Cryptic has also said that you are not forced to only use/choose ships in your career path. You will spend your points as you want to and can put them into areas that will allow you to eventually earn the skills needed to captain any of the ships. So that you can be a Science career path and fly either Tactical or Engineering ships.

Here is the link to the info: http://www.startrekonline.com/node/397

Look at the fourth paragraph under the first question.
Lt. Commander
# 168 Klingon Advancement
10-02-2009, 08:35 AM
While we have plenty of information about how many things are going to work on the Federation side of things, there hasn't been much said about the differences between Klingon and Federation besides the obvious that Ships, Tactics, and Weapons will be different.

Will Klingon progression include rites of passage and ceremonial rituals that have been outlined or alluded to in the canon?

Or will we just get a pop up on the screen that Says - "Ding" and we go pickup a new ship. I would hope for a long drawn out Quest that makes upgrading to a new ship and gaining a new rank something that has meaning and value to the player, not just a new word next to his / her name.

-Moktu K`Tana

P.S. First Post-Woot
Lt. Commander
# 169
10-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moktu View Post
While we have plenty of information about how many things are going to work on the Federation side of things, there hasn't been much said about the differences between Klingon and Federation besides the obvious that Ships, Tactics, and Weapons will be different.

Will Klingon progression include rites of passage and ceremonial rituals that have been outlined or alluded to in the canon?

Or will we just get a pop up on the screen that Says - "Ding" and we go pickup a new ship. I would hope for a long drawn out Quest that makes upgrading to a new ship and gaining a new rank something that has meaning and value to the player, not just a new word next to his / her name.

-Moktu K`Tana

P.S. First Post-Woot
while this would be most canon- accurate it seems as though this might actually detract from people wanting to play as klingons. and as the game gains popularity with non trekkies who just want to fly around in badass ships and shoot things, these ceremonies might be dropped completely to make the game more interesting to the non trekkies.

i remember playing EQ2 and i had to run around to some guy and request that he teach me how to summon my paladin mount. and shortly after i go to all that work of finding the npc and learning, they introduce a patch so paladins don't have to scour the city talking to every NPC to figureout which guy it is who gives you the mount.

i've also seen things like tradeskills simplified for the sake of making the game more fun for players who didn't want to sit around all day crafting components to other components.

speaking of which will there be a tradeskill / item crafting system in STO?
what about Loot that enhances your ship?
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyX View Post
while this would be most canon- accurate it seems as though this might actually detract from people wanting to play as klingons. and as the game gains popularity with non trekkies who just want to fly around in badass ships and shoot things, these ceremonies might be dropped completely to make the game more interesting to the non trekkies.

i remember playing EQ2 and i had to run around to some guy and request that he teach me how to summon my paladin mount. and shortly after i go to all that work of finding the npc and learning, they introduce a patch so paladins don't have to scour the city talking to every NPC to figure out which guy it is who gives you the mount.

i've also seen things like trade skills simplified for the sake of making the game more fun for players who didn't want to sit around all day crafting components to other components.

speaking of which will there be a trade skill / item crafting system in STO?
what about Loot that enhances your ship?
One the point of ceremonies, they could almost make it cinematics where it centers around your character like many other mmorpgs in the introduction stage and if you don't care to sit through the whole thing you could just hit the escape key and skip through it. I think that might balance the people who learn to speak Klingon with those who look at you funny when you talk about the misalignment of the phase inverters.

On the trade skill part, they have announced that there will be a "form" of crafting in STO, however they really havent gone in depth with what exactly this will entail. They've thrown out things about using your replicators to make or reproduce items, and use of memory alpha and star bases to craft items, but beyond that I havent heard/read anything else on the subject and guess that it will come later on in the PR cycle.

Loot that enhances your ship? Definitely. They've talked about look a couple times and even mentioned several ways to acquire it. Destruction of enemy ships that may drop loot [Check, also seen in the newer video when they destroy a Romulan Warbird], completing missions/orders from either the kdf or sfc [Not mentioned that i can recall but ill assume Check], doing missions/requests from planets that may have an advantage in that technology [Check, and this also has been mentioned for ground kits as well], purchase of loot, ie equipment specifically, from the KDF or SFC by the appropriate pseudo monetary element, and god if they use honor points for the Klingons I will laugh my happy lil arse off, and of course probably some sort of crafting formulation.

Oh... sorry out of Orion slave girls...if you want though we still have a fine batch of Naussican ones?

Also on a point of intrigue, no one has asked about the Beta in this posting and I'm almost proud of that.