Captain
...that the Borg just aren't a threat now?

At Wolf 359, 39 Starships were lost and 11,000 people died, and the Cube ignored every attack apart from one via the Borg's own hive mind - the most catastrophic defeat in Federation history.

By the battle of Sector 001, a Federation Fleet could actually bring down a normal Cube, with not quite as many ships lost.

By STO, even an average player ship has the ability to comfortably 1 vs 1 a Cube, and most of us on here could solo a Tactical Cube, with varying amounts of ease. And it isn't just the big stuff, even a remake of Archer's NX-01 could take on a Sphere and win now.

The Borg started off as one of the most dangerous opponents the Alpha Quadrant had seen, and now a team of 5 ships can destroy a Transwarp Gate Assembly, a Tac Cube, 2 normal Cubes and lots of Spheres in about a minute and a half.

A mere 90 seconds or even less!

In 43 years, the Borg have gone from only needing one Cube to assimilate the AQ, to needing a small fleet of their own to stop a single AQ ship. That's progress, and pretty soon we will need a new ultimate threat, because the Borg just aren't suitable now...
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-07-2014, 02:05 AM
To be honest I noticed something I found strange watching First Contact the other night, in that scene where the Borg chase Pickard and Lily into the holo-deck he uses a tommy gun to kill the Borg following him.

That's when it hit me that when he used a projectile weapon their shields didn't adapt, why the heck didn't he just replicate a ton of projectile weapons and give them to the crew instead of abandoning ship?

Maybe it's along those lines, we just figured out how to fight them better now
Rihannsu
# 3
07-07-2014, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by belidos View Post
To be honest I noticed something I found strange watching First Contact the other night, in that scene where the Borg chase Pickard and Lily into the holo-deck he uses a tommy gun to kill the Borg following him.

That's when it hit me that when he used a projectile weapon their shields didn't adapt, why the heck didn't he just replicate a ton of projectile weapons and give them to the crew instead of abandoning ship?[...]
Obvious answer: They would have adapted to that, too. It was just too unexpected in that moment to react in time to tune their shields for it. It was a extraordinarily small collective, after all.

Regarding the OP: I agree. Borg should get a rework and be a lot, lot, lot more dangerous. For example, they should have versions of all the special console abilities their enemies have. They assimilate such stuff, after all.

Fighting a tac cube should be a 20-player-fleet action. IMNSHO.
Captain
# 4
07-07-2014, 02:18 AM
because Starfleet haven't used bullet-based weapons, they were out of date before Starfleet was formed...

Also, Borg can't adapt to a good pointy metal stick. Klingons FTW.

Trouble is, look at the progression - A Tac Cube is now weak. The Borg need Tac Diamonds...

Last edited by cbrjwrr; 07-07-2014 at 02:22 AM.
Career Officer
# 5
07-07-2014, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrjwrr View Post

At Wolf 359, 39 Starships were lost and 11,000 people died, and the Cube ignored every attack apart from one via the Borg's own hive mind - the most catastrophic defeat in Federation history.

By the battle of Sector 001, a Federation Fleet could actually bring down a normal Cube, with not quite as many ships lost.

By STO, even an average player ship has the ability to comfortably 1 vs 1 a Cube, and most of us on here could solo a Tactical Cube, with varying amounts of ease. And it isn't just the big stuff, even a remake of Archer's NX-01 could take on a Sphere and win now.

The Borg started off as one of the most dangerous opponents the Alpha Quadrant had seen, and now a team of 5 ships can destroy a Transwarp Gate Assembly, a Tac Cube, 2 normal Cubes and lots of Spheres in about a minute and a half.

A mere 90 seconds or even less!

In 43 years, the Borg have gone from only needing one Cube to assimilate the AQ, to needing a small fleet of their own to stop a single AQ ship. That's progress, and pretty soon we will need a new ultimate threat, because the Borg just aren't suitable now...
i take your point but if you had the kind of resilliance and weaponry of a lore based cube it would be too dificult to make the game fun, theres got to be a balance between how much the game sticks to what we see in the episodes and what is achivable or playable that can feature in game.
this means that some things in the game are only a shadow of what we see on tv otherwise it would make the game too dificult even for a team of 5 let alone a single player.

there is also the point that weapons and ships have been developed and enhanced way beyond the ships that were arround when wolf 359 occured.
Quote:
When I think about everything we've been through together, maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey, and if that journey takes a little longer, so we can do something we all believe in, I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

Last edited by bobbydazlers; 07-07-2014 at 02:41 AM.
Captain
# 6
07-07-2014, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Yes ... , but it depends on how you view "now" .

The Borg are not a threat since this game went F2P .
Before that , when the STF's were 1+ hour raids and we had to face them with MkXI weapons , no doffs , no "traits" , no Scimitars or Lockbox ships or Lobi consoles or any of the other BS that we have today -- back in those days the Borg were a threat .... (especially if you flew a BoP or the like) .

Back then this game was fun !

Which is why you will hear from time to time ppl asking for " the old STF's " back ... --- even if they'd be only half the fun with today's power creep BS ... -- which is one of the reasons I find the idiots with parsers that came in after F2P amusing ... , thinking that they are actually doing something bad ass with their high DPS numbers .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .

Last edited by aelfwin1; 07-07-2014 at 02:47 AM.
Captain
# 7
07-07-2014, 02:54 AM
I want to see a nightmare level of play in STF's or even in missions where the Borg are really difficult to battle and are very tough, at the moment its pretty much a walkover in ISE and it should not be that way.
http://www.auroratrek.com/index.html
Captain
# 8
07-07-2014, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Were they ever really a threat?
Captain
# 9
07-07-2014, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Obvious answer: They would have adapted to that, too. It was just too unexpected in that moment to react in time to tune their shields for it. It was a extraordinarily small collective, after all.
Borg adaption doesn't work like that, they adapt to energy weapons by matching their shield frequency to the same as the weapon being fired.

Kinetic attack don't have a frequency, hence why bullets and blades can kill them.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Career Officer
# 10
07-07-2014, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by belidos View Post

That's when it hit me that when he used a projectile weapon their shields didn't adapt, why the heck didn't he just replicate a ton of projectile weapons and give them to the crew instead of abandoning ship?

Maybe it's along those lines, we just figured out how to fight them better now
holodeck, holo emitters. you forget something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post

Regarding the OP: I agree. Borg should get a rework and be a lot, lot, lot more dangerous. For example, they should have versions of all the special console abilities their enemies have. They assimilate such stuff, after all.

Fighting a tac cube should be a 20-player-fleet action. IMNSHO.
oh not this argument again. that borg can adapt to projectile weapons or can not adapt.

as for fighting cubes, on sto it was severely dumbed down for balance sake unfortunately.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T6 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T6 hero ship.