Captain
Hey everybody,

I've been playing STO on and off since about Dec 2011. One thing that has always bugged me about the ground combat is the 'limitation' on the weapons you can use. Correct me if i'm wrong, but towards the end of the episodes and in ground STF your main enemy is the Borg. And because of their shield adaptation you want to use weapons that are hard hitting yet have a slow rate of fire. Weapons like Pulsewave Assault or Sniper Rifles are preferred weapons.

I like to use full auto rifles, miniguns and dual pistols. I'm a min/max'er and everything but i like to RP a little when i fit my away team NPCs. I'll give one of my Tacs a minigun, my other Tac and Eng Full Auto rifles, my medic a sniper rifle or regular hand phaser and depending on my mood i'll take a sniper rifle and dual pistols or a compression pistol. But later on with you fighting borg and having to do STFs against borg it sucks having to use nothing but Pulsewave Assault weapons.

It would be nice to have all weapons viable regardless of whether you do episode content, pve ground or pvp (do people even pvp ground?). I know that pistols for example have shorter ranges because hey! its a pistol and those have shorter ranges. But having all weapons, pistols included, have a base range of say 35m but instead giving them a different drawback might add to more variety.

And with Borg Adaptation affecting weapon choices...one thing i can think of is to take away shield adaptation. But then that takes away one of their signature abilities...that would be like saying 'hey lets take away pointy ears from Vulcans'. But maybe modify it so that if a Pulsewave can shoot 3 normal shots before they adapt, then a minigun can shoot 3 normal shots as well (remember each mini shot, shoots 4 times) before they adapt. Or a full auto rifle that hits x3 times per normal shot can shoot 3 seperate volleys (total of 9 times, 3 times per volley) before it adapts. Did any of that make sense?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
02-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewbie View Post
And with Borg Adaptation affecting weapon choices...one thing i can think of is to take away shield adaptation. But then that takes away one of their signature abilities...that would be like saying 'hey lets take away pointy ears from Vulcans'. But maybe modify it so that if a Pulsewave can shoot 3 normal shots before they adapt, then a minigun can shoot 3 normal shots as well (remember each mini shot, shoots 4 times) before they adapt. Or a full auto rifle that hits x3 times per normal shot can shoot 3 seperate volleys (total of 9 times, 3 times per volley) before it adapts. Did any of that make sense?
It does, but the only real reason there are "correct" ground weapons is that there's not enough content to justify using the full range. STFs are borg, so the correct weapons are ones that work better against borg, like Pulsewaves and snipers. Plus, STFs are the most profitable content, so there's not enough incentive for players to play anything but STFs, at least while they grind their rep.

If you want more lenient standards for your weapon choice try some of the ground fleet actions or adventure zones like the New Romulus Salt monsters, Colony Invasion, and Nukara. You'll find more reasons to use different weapons there.

In Nukara especially I love combining my Cryo Shotgun and either a Sonic Antiproton Pistol or the Breen Cryo Projector.
Captain
# 3
02-28-2013, 12:44 AM
I would rather the 'correct' weapons be just the energy type not the type of weapon AND energy type. In space STF you dont want to use plasma weapons cause the borg are resistant to that right? But you can pick any other energy type: phaser, disruptor, AP and any weapon type BA, DBB or cannons. In ground STF the 'correct' weapon is anything non plasma (since i assume ground borg are resistant to plasma as well) BUT you also have to pick something that does more damage per shot due to shield adaptation mechanics.
Empire Veteran
# 4
02-28-2013, 01:11 AM
Quote:
I would rather the 'correct' weapons be just the energy type not the type of weapon AND energy type. In space STF you dont want to use plasma weapons cause the borg are resistant to that right? But you can pick any other energy type: phaser, disruptor, AP and any weapon type BA, DBB or cannons. In ground STF the 'correct' weapon is anything non plasma (since i assume ground borg are resistant to plasma as well) BUT you also have to pick something that does more damage per shot due to shield adaptation mechanics.
I do not believe that is true.

I think that enemies, or at least Borg I heard once, are either equally resistant to everything, or resistant to nothing.

Captain
# 5
02-28-2013, 01:55 AM
Quote:
In space STF you dont want to use plasma weapons cause the borg are resistant to that right?
Wrong.

Quote:
In ground STF the 'correct' weapon is anything non plasma (since i assume ground borg are resistant to plasma as well)
Wrong.

Quote:
BUT you also have to pick something that does more damage per shot due to shield adaptation mechanics.
Cryptic for a while was saying something about adding a system where borg could only adapt "once per second" or something, so that rapid-fire weapons were just as practical as heavy hitters. If they ever added this, I honestly can't tell the difference.

The only thing that seems to make any difference is the "rotating frequency" perk of the omega reputation line, which results in a noticeably higher number of hits before needing to remodulate.
Captain
# 6
02-28-2013, 02:17 AM
Quote:
I would rather the 'correct' weapons be just the energy type not the type of weapon AND energy type. In space STF you dont want to use plasma weapons cause the borg are resistant to that right?
Not to offend , but that is incorrect .
I have 3 toons equipped with plasma space weapons and the Borg get damaged the same as by other weapons and the plasma [Dot] applies to them as well .

What you do not want to do is use Plasma in Space PvP , since many players use the MACO or OMEA shields in PvP and those shields have an innate resistance of ... somewhere between 10-20% to plasma (Borg) weapons .

Quote:
In ground STF the 'correct' weapon is anything non plasma (since i assume ground borg are resistant to plasma as well)
While I'm not 100% sure here (I don't use ground Plasma weapons as a choice) -- I don't think it would be different then the space , meaning that the Borg should not have any immunity to Plasma .

As to your type of weapons on ground STF's ... , well I can only speak for myself here but there are weapons that are better suited for each ground STF .

- Infected needs long range weapons (High Density Beam Rifle , Split Beam , Sniper) are all good , but none must have a Knock Back modifier , as pushing the Borg back delays the time it takes to kill them and you're on a clock to get the optional .

I usually carry a Maco or High Density rifle + one "shot gun" (Pulsewave) .
The Pulsewave is for mid-ranged combat that occurs when rescuing the starbase personnel from assimilation .

- KAGE -- well that's the one you can have a little fun in .
While some weapons are still frowned upon (/looks at the Ferengi wip/) , there are times when I indulge in a bit of dual pistol mayhem and it's all good as most of the combat is very close quarters , thus long ranged weapons have no superiority there .

Having said that , I usually play that one with the same setup as Infected , simply because I'm too lazy to change weapons + it works there too , except I use the shotgun as my primary weapon .

- CGE -- again , a high range + a mid range weapon is preferred .
This one actually benefits from weapons that have Knock Back abilities (unlike Infected) . Plus the use of the stun grenades is (those that stun the Borg for a few secs) is also recommended .
"We're not mad at Angry Birds, and we're not trying to defend the universe from Angry Birds. Although you might want to consider defending yourself from Angry Birds. If you aren't paying for the app, you aren't a customer, you're the product ."

- former CIA, NSA chief Michael Hayden -- your guide to F2P ...
Rihannsu
# 7
02-28-2013, 02:55 AM
No NPC is resistant to specific energy types. Not in space or on ground. Only PvPers avoid plasma.

The Borg adaptation is supposed to be tuned so it takes about the same time of continous fire for them to adapt regardless of weapon. I don't have any exact data on how successful that is, but I've used a full auto rifle on Borg and it seems just fine.

The one thing you have to look out for in ground combat is to use two weapons with different energy type, so you can switch when they adapt (which is a real bummer now, can't use 2+2 MACO/Adapted MACO sets since they're both phaser). There are situations where you want a specific weapon, such as sniper for the range or pulsewave for the knockdown, but damage-wise you can generally use what you like best.
Captain
# 8
02-28-2013, 07:29 AM
wouldnt this be more of an issue if you could fire further than you could throw grenades?

the sniper rifles fit for the borg quite well imo since they look alot like the pulsed phaser rifles from voyager & ds9s dominion war.
Career Officer
# 9
02-28-2013, 07:39 AM
I have a TOS toon that I use quite often in STF's that uses the Type 2 Phaser pistol and I can usually take down a borg before they adapt (except for the tacs), she always carries various weapons, though, to be adaptable. For the most part I use high density anti-proton(borg) weapons for my rifles (for KB). The only time i actually use the "shotgun" is when fighting Armek.