Rihannsu
# 141
07-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Maybe I've missed something in the conversation but I played that Jeroan Farmer Escapade and never saw a grey-out
Starfleet Veteran
# 142
07-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
The hell? It loaded properly when I tested the map. I think I did have Heatwave effect set on that map, to help with the effect of the event, but it didn't put out any kind of effect when I played the publish version, let alone do something that..... crazy. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Consider that effect removed ASAP and not used at all in the future. Especially if the earlier map like this one was loading properly.

Although this would be interesting if used in a "Oh crap, we are stuck in a grey universe dimension" mission. But then, I fear not everyone would suffer that.
I think figured it out. It is the visual effects settings. I have Speed versus Quality set to 2/3. When I take of the setting and run it on 1/3 level the white out disappears. I use custom settings with that as well and tried a variety of different settings while the Speed versus Quality was set at 2/3. So if you are running on lower graphic settings the problem does not manifest itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrobbiec View Post
Maybe I've missed something in the conversation but I played that Jeroan Farmer Escapade and never saw a grey-out
It looks as if the issue is the "Heatwaves Effect" is not functioning as it was intended on higher graphic settings.

Thanks to both of you for your feedback.
Brian
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details. Also see Evil 70th's list of missions at "Evil 70th's Missions".
Starfleet Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
Do you do reviews for incomplete missions? I have a half-finished mission and I'm interested in hearing if you think it'd be worth finishing.

TAS Redux
author: Marhawkman
allegiance: Federation
ST-HRJMDNQIN
Estimated time: 20-30 mins
Description: Journey into the Dark depths of space in search of the missing Federation Freighter the Bonaventure-C.
Federation Mission - TAS Redux
Author: Marhawkman
Allegiance: Federation
Project ID: ST-HRJMDNQIN

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: Realizing that this is not a completed mission it is still a good concept and start to your development. The maps designs are good. Story so far on the first couple of maps the story dialogue is well written but the whole story needs a little work here and there. If this is going to be the actual mission you should consider taking it down while you finish developing. I noted you have received at least 2 one start ratings. This will bring down your overall average. If this is just a proof of concept and will not be used for the actual mission then you have nothing to be concerned about.

Below are some things I noted while playing the mission that I wanted to let you know about. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a short description. Consider adding a little more story to help draw the player in and make them want to click the "Hail" button. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: This is a good grant dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: Despite the fact that you have indicated the start location for the first custom map in both the description and grant dialogue, you should also include it in the initial mission task. The goal for that initial task is to help the player find where to start.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good use of the prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
FGC-32050: This is a good map design with good battles, and I like the "Badlands" effects you added. The story dialogue needs a little development. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-Consider adding some initial dialogue from the Science BOFF explaining that the Orion?s are jamming communications with the Relay Station.
-Consider adding the Tactical BOFF discussing options for engaging the Orions as part of the initial dialogue..
-The use of the response button "Continue". Consider adding some story oriented responses for the player, especially for BOFF reports.
-The post battle dialogue; consider changing "[Rank], I'm picking up some sort of spacial anomaly" to read "[Rank], I'm picking up some sort of spatial anomaly".
-Consider removing the "Heatwaves Effect" near the anomaly. It is annoying and really does not add anything to the story.
-Consider changing the "Anomaly XL" you are currently using to one of the following; "FX - Portal Fekihri" or "FX - Portal - Undine" or "FX - Portal - Mirror Universe" effects. In my opinion they all look much better than the "Anomaly XL" you are currently using.
-Consider changing the "scan spatial anomaly" button from "Interact" to read "Scan".
-The post "scan spatial anomaly" task dialogue; consider changing "I think we may have foudn a way to safely enter Elysia" to read "I think we may have found a way to safely enter Elysia".
-Consider changing "If so we may need to deal with the ships persuing it" to read "If so we may need to deal with the ships pursuing it".
-Consider changing the map transfer dialogue "enter spatial corridor" to read "Enter spatial corridor".
-Consider changing the response button "enter" to read "Take us in" or something along those lines.

Spatial Corridor: This is a good map design with some good battles. The story dialogue is well written. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-The initial dialogue; consider changing "There appears to be an interchange point in the middle of the Corridqr" to read "There appears to be an interchange point in the middle of the corridor".
-The use of the response button "Continue". Consider adding some story oriented responses for the player, especially for BOFF reports.
-Consider changing the map transfer dialogue; "Transition to subspace pocket" to read "We are ready to enter the next subspace corridor".
Consider changing the response button "Go to Next Map" to read "Ahead full" or something along those lines.

Spatial Corridor: This is a good continuation map from the previous one with some good battles. The story dialogue needs some development. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-The initial spawn point; consider moving it into the corridor a little further. The player ends up staring at the wall of the corridor until they start to move ahead.
-Consider changing the map transfer dialogue; "Exit Spatial corridor" to read "We?ve reached the corridor exit".
-Consider changing the response button "Exit corridor" to read "Take us out" or something along those lines.

Subspace Pocket: This is a good design. The story dialogue needs some development. I noted one item to consider changing:
-The Map Text field has no entry and the default "<UNNAMED TASK>" appears on the map.

---------End Report----------

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You have done a good job with the development of the mission so far but it needs a little polishing. As always, I look forward to playing/reviewing more of your work in the future.
Brian
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details. Also see Evil 70th's list of missions at "Evil 70th's Missions".
Rihannsu
# 144
07-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Hmm.... Heatwaves works fine for me. I made two pics to demonstrate.

And no, it's not a mirage, my foundry char really is an admiral...

http://marhawkman.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d56ed12

http://marhawkman.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d56edcp

I also used it in the second part of the Spatial corridor...

Thanks for the review!

Good idea for the change to the initial task. I've started doing that in my other missions.

Good ideas for changing the FGC map.

Corridor: fix typos and incomplete text, got it. Actually I had been thinking about moving the spawn point. In case you're wondering why I bothered with the interchange map transition..... you can't fly through that part of the map for some stupid reason.

And yeah, the Subspace pocket has barely been started. I'm definately going to be adding soemthing to that one in the next update!

Last edited by markhawkman; 07-06-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 145
07-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil70th View Post
Hey aelogria, AKA Desdecardo,

Thanks for the review request. You are 12th in the queue behind nrobbiec. I plan to work on the queue starting tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can get through a couple of missions this weekend. I?ll post the review here in the forums when I am done.

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
No problem. Just be warned, its not to be taken seriously. And some of the reviews on there are from the very first version of it. Its taken me about 16 hours of total time to get it to where it is at now. Thats with the learning curve of learning the foundry from scratch.

Its best viewed with a beer at a good knowledge of 50s Scifi serials.
------------------

@Desdecardo since 2008.
Starfleet Veteran
# 146
07-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Hmm.... Heatwaves works fine for me. I made two pics to demonstrate.

And no, it's not a mirage, my foundry char really is an admiral...

http://marhawkman.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d56ed12

http://marhawkman.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d56edcp

I also used it in the second part of the Spatial corridor...

Thanks for the review!

Good idea for the change to the initial task. I've started doing that in my other missions.

Good ideas for changing the FGC map.

Corridor: fix typos and incomplete text, got it. Actually I had been thinking about moving the spawn point. In case you're wondering why I bothered with the interchange map transition..... you can't fly through that part of the map for some stupid reason.

And yeah, the Subspace pocket has barely been started. I'm definately going to be adding soemthing to that one in the next update!
Glad I could help. I knew it wasn't completed but wanted to give you the best review of the mission I could.

As for the Heatwaves effect, it doesn't look right on any of my machine even with my video settings maxed out. The only time I could get ot to look right was when I reduced my settings to the minimum level. The space version is the only one I've ever had a problem with. The ground version seems to work well regardless. In the end the author is the one who has to decide what to do with the recommendations.

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
Starfleet Veteran
# 147
07-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelogria View Post
No problem. Just be warned, its not to be taken seriously. And some of the reviews on there are from the very first version of it. Its taken me about 16 hours of total time to get it to where it is at now. Thats with the learning curve of learning the foundry from scratch.

Its best viewed with a beer at a good knowledge of 50s Scifi serials.
I look forward to the review. Thanks for the heads up on the "serious" nature of your authoring...

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
Starfleet Veteran
# 148
07-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post

If I'm not mistaken, "pagh" is somewhat similar to "path" in Bajoran... try checking on Memory Alpha, just to be sure.

Also, one thing I noticed: It's the Idran System, so unless it's a random GQ system, it should be called the Idran system, not the GQ Star System.

Edit: I meant to say that the system on the other end of the wormhole is the Idran system, not that the ingame system is the Idran system - here I am, asking about whether you made a typo and commenting on what I think are misinterpretations on your end (the first and second quotes respectively), and then I break my sentence more badly than what I thought was a typo would have broken yours.

In Bajoran religion Pagh is one's spirit or essence. Having a 'strong pagh' means that you have a purpose given to you by the prophets that is consistent with that strong spirit or essence. Also in the episode I follow up Opaka mentions that her and Sisko's pagh would cross again. Obviously this hasn't been the case yet.

I had just rewatched that episode before I started. The planet is not directly on the other side of the Wormhole and at the time of that ep hadn't been charted. It's at least a few light years away going from the Dax/O'brien conversation in the Runabout. It was also never named. So I just went with this generic name.

Last edited by bazag; 07-06-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 149
07-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazag View Post
In Bajoran religion Pagh is one's spirit or essence. Having a 'strong pagh' means that you have a purpose given to you by the prophets that is consistent with that strong spirit or essence. Also in the episode I follow up Opaka mentions that her and Sisko's pagh would cross again. Obviously this hasn't been the case yet.

I had just rewatched that episode before I started. The planet is not directly on the other side of the Wormhole and at the time of that ep hadn't been charted. It's at least a few light years away going from the Dax/O'brien conversation in the Runabout. It was also never named. So I just went with this generic name.
Then all is settled. That is not a typo. Thanks for clearing that up for us Bazag. The mission was a lot of fun.

Sorry it took so long to get to the missions but I am making progress.

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
Captain
# 150
07-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazag View Post

Thanks for clearing that up, I guess I did go a bit closer to the answer

Like I said, if it was just an unnamed GQ system, then it's fine. But if it were the Idran system...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.