Career Officer
# 641
05-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdewey View Post
I love checking this thread for some great missions.
Its been awhile since I've been able to put a mission out. Hopefully I'll have more time in the coming months to play around in the foundry some more. I was able to slowly put together this one though.

Mission Name: Eternal Madness
Author: dewey001
Minimum Level: 31+
Allegiance: Starfleet
Project ID: ST-HQQZ4SOU7
Estimated Mission Length: 1hr15min

A troublesome mystery leads your crew to a devious plot hatched by a long lost Starfleet crew who are consumed by a madness that knows no bounds. You must take your ship and crew on a journey where logic need not endeavor and where heroes fear to tread. Can you and your crew solve the riddle in time to save everyone?
Report to the Lirss System in the Iota Pavonis Sector Block and delve into the mayhem and persevere the treachery.

Reading is required
Multiple dialog options with multiple outcomes
TAC/SCI/ENG skills used to resolve puzzles/battles
-Treknobabble
-Historical/scientific/engineering research
-Trek canon/lore
-Numerous details related to Star Trek's shows, toys, movies, and STO
--All used to bring you a fully immersive mission.(Feel free to alt+tab and look up any info you find)

P.S
Seriously, alt+tab at stuff you find (if you're an info junkie like me). It was mostly coincidence, but the fact that things came together so well blew my mind.
Hi dewey001,

Welcome back to the queue. I am glad my posting helps authors refine their missions and regular players missions to play. I understand not having enough time to play or work on missions. The promotion I got at work keeps me pretty busy so I am only able to review on weekends. I try to get to a couple per weekend but that does not always work. Your mission is 17th in the queue behind lincolninspace. I will post the review here once it is completed.

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details.
Captain
# 642
05-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil70th View Post
Your mission is 17th in the queue behind lincolninspace. I will post the review here once it is completed.

Thanks for authoring,
Brian
I was gonna tell you my mission needs a little spit and polish before you review it but it will be totallly finished well before the time you get to it.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Career Officer
# 643
05-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
I was gonna tell you my mission needs a little spit and polish before you review it but it will be totallly finished well before the time you get to it.
Okay. Thanks for the heads up, but I think you are right, it will be a little bit before I get to your mission.

Brian
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details.
Career Officer
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
At long last, the Ghosts of War saga is now complete!

Mission Name: Ghosts of War, Part VI (aka "Time's Hammer")
Author: NCC-89471
Minimum Level: 35+
Allegiance: Federation
ID: ST-HB3UDU2GK
Playtime: 30-45 min

Method of Report Delivery: This thread and/or the Ghosts of War thread

I expect to be tweaking this mission a lot based on feedback, especially Map 7, which is probably the most complex and SFX-laden map I've ever done. (Hint: It features a huge ground battle that doesn't involve you, and that you must sidestep as you carry out your objectives; defend yourself if you have to but don't go wading into the fray unless absolutely necessary.)
Federation Mission - Ghosts of War, Part VI (aka "Time's Hammer")
Author: NCC-89471
Project ID: ST-HB3UDU2GK

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: This is a great mission and excellent wrap up to the entire series. The map designs are excellent, the battles tough, but fun, and the story dialogue is outstanding. While I would not recommend this mission on Elite level I would highly recommend this mission and the entire series to all players.

Mission Description: This is a good description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: The grant and follow on dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: This is a good initial task with a clear start location for the first custom map. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good use of the entry prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
1: Typhon Expanse (Space): This is a good map design with well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

2: Celtris III (Space): This is a good map design with excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

3: Celtris III (North Pole): This is a good map design with tough but fun battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

4: Celtris III (Caves): This is a great map design with tough but fun battles and excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

5: Celtris III (Caves): This is a great map design with tough but fun battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
-Some of the enslaved crew members to be tagged for beam out are all cowering in fear in unison. It looks odd.

6: Celtris III (Caves): This is a good map design with tough but fun battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

7: Celtris III (Caves): This is a good map design with a tough but fun battle taking place in the chamber while you try to resolve the tasks. The other battles are tough but fun and the story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

8: Celtris III (Space): This is a good map design with excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

9: Verena III (Space): This is a great map design with good story dialogue that makes it a great wrap up to the mission and the series. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

---------End Report----------

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a great job with this mission and the entire series. As always I look forward to playing/reviewing more of your work in the future.
Brian

This critique report also filed 05/11/13 on forum posting for: "Ghosts of War" mission series semi-official discussion thread.
Career Officer
Quote:
Originally Posted by remairtamec View Post
Hi Evil,

Do you give reports missions still only available to reviewers? Or only after they have been approved for general audience? Mine is still in the review stage but if you could give me some feedback on it, either as it is or once it's been approved I would greatly appreciate it. From what I've seen so far your reviews are exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for to improve this and future projects.

Mission Name: Minefield
Author: remairtamec
Minimum Level: 16+
Project ID: ST-HGETQAUOO
Estimated Mission Length: ~45 minutes (depending on choices)

The info is also in a thread on this board available here.

Cheers
Federation Mission - Minefield
Author: remairtamec
Project ID: ST-HGETQAUOO

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: This is a good, heavy combat oriented mission with nice map designs, very tough battles, and well written story dialogue. I would definitely recommend this mission to other players, although not on Elite. It was a lot of fun.

I mention the use of the response button "Continue" on every map. This is something I usually recommend the player uses to help tell the story and include the player as more a participant rather than just a reader of the story. This is particularly true when it comes to the "Captain" responding to a BOFF report or dialog from an NPC. An exception to this would be when reading log entry or something along those lines, but even in those circumstances I recommend the use of "..." as an alternative. Yes I know Cryptic missions use the response button "Continue" a lot. In my opinion it seems unlikely that a Captain would simply say "Continue". This is my personal opinion.

Below are some things I noted while playing the mission that I wanted to let you know about. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a good description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: The grant and follow on dialogue are well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: Your initial task needs to include the start location for the first custom map. This will make it easier for the player to find your mission. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good use of the prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
Imman Nebula (Sierra Outpost System): This is a good map design with tough but fun battles and well written dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-The use of the response button "Continue". I will cover this in more detail in my summary.
-The post "Hail the Trident" dialogue; consider changing "I would hypothosise that they are cloacked mines" to read "I would hypothesize that they are cloaked mines".

Freighter: This is a good map design with very tough battles and well written dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-The use of the response button "Continue".
-Consider adding respawn points deeper into the map.

Dissanti System Approach: This is a good map design with tough battles and well written dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:

Mine Factory: This is a good map design with very tough battles and well written dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-One of the warheads does not disappear when you pick it up. Consider changing it so that warhead disappears when the player picks it up.
-The "Scan Door" stays in place if the player does not use it and blows the door. Consider changing it to disappear if the player uses the "Place Warhead By Door" task.

Dissanti System Exit: This is a good map design with tough battles and well written dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:

---------End Report----------

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a good job developing this mission and I look forward to playing/reviewing more of your work in the future.
Brian

This critique report also filed 05/12/2013 on forum posting for: Minefield - ~45 minute story based foundry mission
Lieutenant
# 646
05-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Cheers for that Evil. The "Continue" thing is something I've done my best to address for my Foundry Contest mission (Alpha Flight if you're curious), in which I think I managed to remove all of them and replace them with a little more interesting dialogue. I agree that just because Cryptic uses "Continue" a lot doesn't make it a good thing

Good notes on the rewording and addition of a respawn marker, when I get some more free time I'll get onto those and the Scan Door interaction lingering.

The warhead lingering was the best I could manage without being able to use OR gates on triggers. It was either this, having the mine disappear when the shield is lowered, or having player able to plant the first mine and have it do nothing even after they solve the puzzle. It was the best solution I could find from a bad situation.

Thanks again for this, I think what you're doing here in this thread is really excellent work, helping the new and experienced alike improve. I learned a lot from reading your feedback to other people's missions, keep up the good work!

Click for more details
Ensign
# 647
05-13-2013, 12:43 PM
I will be reposting my foundry mission probably in the next few days and under the same title. I have gone through and reworked the dialog and worked on a few bugs that I saw as well as remove a map or two that was kind of useless. Look for it in a few days and thanks for the review ahead of time.

Also I am working on a three part series that shows promise and I will post it asap.

Cheers,
Horriblecat.
Lieutenant
# 648
05-13-2013, 01:02 PM
I've just posted my first mission, and I would greatly appreciate some feedback.

I like the in-depth information you provide, so I was hoping you could take a look at mine...

Here is my Forum thread

Mission Name: Contact Squared
Author: eldil1
Minimum Level: 41+
Project ID: ST-HDKD38CDP
Estimated Mission Length: 30-45 minutes

In Game Description:

Quote:
Captain [LastName], Admiral Flores has a special assignment for you and the [ShipName]:

Forty years ago, Captain Jean-Luc Picard initiated First Contact with the inhabitants of Malcor III.

After a series of missteps on both sides, the Malcorians decided to postpone their Warp Program and focus on solving their social problems.

The Malcorians are now ready to resume the program and take their first Interstellar Warp Flight.

When you are ready, Admiral Flores will contact you with the mission details.

The Mission will begin just outside the Sierra/Starbase39 System.

This is a Story/Dialogue Driven Mission with some Ground and Space Combat.

Some choices will affect the path you take.

Version 1.0
I'm almost finished with Part 2, It will be up soon.

This mission is intended as a follow-up to the events in the ST:TNG episode: "First Contact" (season 4).

While the episode is not required viewing, It may increase your enjoyment of the mission...

Thank you in advance for your help...
Career Officer
# 649
05-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks for finally getting to my mission, O Evil one. Though truth be told, by the time you did, it had already been subjected to many other reviews and revisions (which is probably why you found so little fault with it). Map 7 in particular has proven very hard to get right.

As for the one suggestion you made, I'm not sure how to fix the "cowering in unison" issue or even if it can be fixed. I think that has more to do with the game and/or graphics engines than with map design.
Ensign
# 650
05-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Hello,

Reposting my mission for you to review. I have added several improvements to the gameplay.

Name: All Roads Lead To Rome
ID: ST-HRPGRETGV
Author: horriblecat
Faction: Starfleet
Level: 31+
Duration: Roughly about 30 to 35 minutes

Description
A routine mission is interrupted by a message from Starfleet. Prepare for an engaging mission into a system that is on the edge of Federation space. Engage in a compelling story with many twists and turns and a hidden agenda that goes all the way to the top. Combat near the end and hopefully a wonderful climax to leave you wanting the sequel

This is my first mission so please offer feedback on how I can improve future missions as well as this one.