Commander
# 11
06-22-2012, 06:00 AM
If you feel you're so hard up for gear for STF's that you feel you absolutely *need* Green quality Mk XI gear, go run some missions with choice pieces of gear which are going to have very nice pieces of gear for your tier:

*Doomsday Machine: Har'peng Torpedo

*Past Imperfect: Paratrinic Shields, Efficient Impulse Engines, Plasma-Disruptor Hybrid Arrays and Dual Heavy Cannons

*S'harien's Swords: Combat Hyper Impulse Engines, Prototype Gravitic Impulse Engines

*Coliseum: Reman Covariat Shield

*The New Link: Chroniton Flux Torpedo, Polarized Tetryon Arrays

*The Deferi Arc: Breen Set, Breen Cluster Torpedo

*The 2800: Jem'Hadar Set, Phased Polaron Beam Arrays and Dual Cannons

Regular STF's do not require superb gear and, in fact, you can quite comfortably run them at level 46 with all white Mark 10 gear and not be hamstringing your team (provided you've a decent BOff skill layout).

If you're hard-up for cash, any of the missions that give engines, deflectors, or shields are a pretty solid source of cash.

Oh, and don't forget that Mk X Rare (Blue) is statistically identical to Mk XI green quality gear.
Lieutenant
# 12
06-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metl View Post
If you yourself don't need it, then why get all bent out of shape because someone else feels they might? If you want to sell it for EC, then click need and shut up, otherwise don't worry about it.
Somebody who starts to roll need on trash items in an elte STF is either obusing the Need/Greed/Pass system or is under-equipped and should not be there in first place. The rest is usually rolling need because of the one who starts to do so.
Commander
# 13
06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
If you're in a PuG, need on everything except lockboxes. Why not? You're doing your part to help win the STF, so why should you gimp your own chances at getting something out of it besides the junk at the end?

If you're with friends, don't be a **** and greed unless you really do need it.

That's all there really is to it.

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
06-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Not rolling need is counter productive to making EC from running STFs. Simple solution is get in a good fleet. We rarely if ever pug STFs anymore and everyone rolls need on everything, post STF we see if anyone actually needs anything that dropped and 9/10 times it just ends up as vendor trash... then again if anyone actually ever "needs" anything even if its not an STF drop people pitch in to acquire it for them because one member having better gear helps the fleet as a whole.

It's not abusing the system, its common sense. If I PUG I'm doing it for profit myself, I don't care what "Johnny-bag-o-noobnuts" needs, wants, or gets out of it. If my fleet happens to be one short and we get a pubbie in the queue we are still running it for our benefit. Don't mind carrying people to optionals and getting the STFs done blazing fast, but I most certainly am not doing it out of charity.

If I truly lacked empathy or a conscience I would not take time out of my day to help someone who had a less fortunate education than myself correct their gross misunderstanding of words in the English language.

Last edited by outllaw; 06-22-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Lieutenant
# 15
06-23-2012, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outllaw View Post
[...]
It's not abusing the system, its common sense.
[...]
If you want to sell something, you roll greed, because this is the purpose of this system.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
06-23-2012, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woril View Post
If you want to sell something, you roll greed, because this is the purpose of this system.
If I want to sell something I will roll need to ensure I receive a shot at the item because that is how the system is designed.

If I truly lacked empathy or a conscience I would not take time out of my day to help someone who had a less fortunate education than myself correct their gross misunderstanding of words in the English language.
Lieutenant
# 17
06-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Quote:
If I want to sell something I will roll need to ensure I receive a shot at the item because that is how the system is designed.
And if everybody else rolls greed as intended you will receive the item by abusing the system.

Quod erat demonstrandum:
Quote:
[...]
It's not abusing the system, its common sense.[...]
Ensign
# 18
06-23-2012, 06:39 AM
N/G makes sense on BoP items which not everyone needs. You'd have good reason to be pissed if the rogue rolls needs on a warrior BoP item, for example.

For BoE items in STO, it makes zero sense. First, it penalises players who actually go buy decent gear on the exchange before going into STFs. I do this on all my toons, it costs me a decent chunk of change. I am not going to roll greed while someone else rolls need just because they are badly geared due to their own selfishness.

Second, I need credits in exactly the same way as I need items. Items and credits can be exchanged between each other via the exchange at zero cost. Therefore, if a tetryon dual heavy cannon drops, and I want a polaron, why shouldn't I be able to roll on it? I can then trade it for a polaron, so it is as good to me as a polaron.

N/G makes no sense for PuGs. Just hit need. Always. It makes far more sense - the only thing that's BoP is stuff you always need, whether for gear or dilithium (and don't complain about people rolling need for that - the main reason I run STFs on most of my toons, reward wise, is dilithium, so yea, I do need it to buy ships).
Captain
# 19
06-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Somebody who starts to roll need on trash items in an elte STF is either obusing the Need/Greed/Pass system or is under-equipped and should not be there in first place. The rest is usually rolling need because of the one who starts to do so.
Or a "Wow, this PUG is going horribly awry, might as well get what I can out of it." :tongue:

When somone's rage-quit over a failed optional and someone else is chasing spheres off the map I suddenly get a lot needier.

TBH, I'd much prefer a "ZOMG WANT/EW DO NOT WANT" system. The need/greed/pass only punishes the polite.
# 20
06-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Quote:
And if everybody else rolls greed as intended you will receive the item by abusing the system.

Quod erat demonstrandum:
a?buse
tr.v. a?bused, a?bus?ing, a?bus?es
1. To use wrongly or improperly; misuse: abuse alcohol; abuse a privilege.
2. To hurt or injure by maltreatment; ill-use.
3. To force sexual activity on; **** or molest.
4. To assail with contemptuous, coarse, or insulting words; revile.
5. Obsolete To deceive or trick.

Words, I suggest learning the meaning of them before using them to describe things.

1. Pressing an available option to everyone is not "abuse". It is proper use of the button
2. No harm or injury comes from the non-existent maltreatment
3. Last I checked there were no sexual implications from pressing "Need, Greed, or Pass"
4. No words are exchanged between players
5. It's not deceptive since its there for everyone

Basically in a nutshell. Press "Need" or "Pass" in the future. Pressing greed then going to the forums of all places because someone didn't play your way and choose to play within the system set guidelines is going to get you nothing but laughed at.