Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
Trekkies are an interesting lot. Heralding from the late sixties they are one of the oldest subsets of nerds, and as such have developed a unique and interesting set of behaviors. If you are going to make a game that appeals to them, you need to be aware of these:

1. Trekkies do not want to be told what to like. We don't care how much work it took, or how awesome you think it is, if it is shoved in our faces, we will hate it.

Example of this point in Star Trek: Westley.

Example of this point applying to STO: Lockboxes

2. Never, never, ever, lump all Trekkies into the same group. Even though we all love the same franchise, Trekkies are an incredibly diverse group. We all love different series, different characters, and different aspects of each. If you're going to make a game, you have to make us all happy to some extent.

Example of this point in Star Trek: Call DS9ers and ENTers the same thing. I dare you.

Example of this point applying to STO: THE NEW FORUM CHANGES. You have done us a great disservice.

3. We hate being told to "Deal with it". Originally when TOS was canceled that was almost it. The fans had none of that.

Example of this point in Star Trek: Generations.

Example of this point applying to STO: Again. The forums. We brought a franchise back from the dead, TWICE. We deserve custom avatars and Signature BB code.

Conversely.....

4. We will practically throw money at the most bizarre things because it's novel or just Star Trek related. With careful management, this game could outsell every other PWE game combined.

Example of this point in Star Trek: You see this? That is an Enterprise pizza cutter. This, is a bottle opener.

Example of this point applying to STO: Where are the William Ware Theiss costumes? The Ambassador? The Vesta? T5 Connie? TNG & VOY bundles? Off-duty clothes for Boffs?

5. Trekkies will work together faster and better than any other group of nerds in order to squash problems they collectively hate.

Example of this point in Star Trek: Westley.

Example of this point applying to STO: Where are our community events? What happened to the ship design contest? Why can't we have player created STF's and Fleet Actions? Etc?

Star Trek cannot be made with out the fans, it never has. PWE cannot treat STO like one of it's first party titles, it can't even treat it like a western game. Star Trek Online needs to be treated like Star Trek. That is the most difficult lesson PWE (and even Cryptic) will have to learn. And for the sake of this game, they need to learn it fast. :tongue:
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-20-2012, 11:01 PM
/signed, /10chars, /abcd123

I used to be able to play STO, but then Season 9 happened. | Join Date: Dec 2009
1000 Paper Cuts for Star Trek Online
Rihannsu
# 3
06-20-2012, 11:20 PM
pretty much this.

i would like to add, that this game does NOT offer much excitement for a non - Star Trek fan.
There are FAR BETTER space related games out there..

So PWE will have to stick with us, ST nerds.

This can have 2 possible outcomes:

1 - they realize it, sell us the hell, make content, factions, PVE and PVP, exploration, crafting function == they make money, game wins

2 - they will follow this course - in a year also the hardest fans will be outta here -
the game will not see 2014

and it begins with the ability to BUY stuff from inside the game client.

Join the premiere Romulan community now!
Career Officer
# 4
06-20-2012, 11:20 PM
... and then there are Trekkers!

The Trek community is one of the strangest groups I have ever been a part of. Usually in life, I've found that when a group opinion is formed on something, all within must adopt it or be excluded. Those who oppose it face a hard time in swaying the herd.

However, with Trek, I've always found that independent opinions, even if they are contrary on topics, are actually widely respected, encouraged and desired. It seems to keep our community weaving and bobbing so to speak, ensuring it's longevity and really preventing it from being led by any 'seemingly' dominant group. Insofar as we love finding people to agree with us on our knowledge and insights, we also love setting those insights and opinions against others.

heh, nicely constructed topic about the forum changes ^^
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
06-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Trekies are NOT the oldest form of nerd
before there was trek there was Fireball xl5 and there are such people as "fivers"
before that there were plane spotters before them train spotters and before even them probably stone wheel spotters

Nerds have always led the herd
Career Officer
# 6
06-21-2012, 12:07 AM
heh...

Fireball XL-5 loved it...

Don't forget the THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!!! :biggrin:

I still have my set of Thunderbird vehicles from Jonny Lighting. :smile:

(or ERTL, can't remember which)
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Career Officer
# 7
06-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Coming from an old nerd...

/signed

Also some of us still like train spotting.... :redface:
Career Officer
# 8
06-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
heh...

Fireball XL-5 loved it...

Don't forget the THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!!! :biggrin:

I still have my set of Thunderbird vehicles from Jonny Lighting. :smile:

(or ERTL, can't remember which)
wow you just hit me with a blast of nostalgia!

I've got a beaten up old metal Thunderbird Two with extendable legs and a lowerable mid-section with a little Thunderbird 4. *scrambles to go find it* ^^
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
06-21-2012, 01:00 AM
i do believe the sherlock holms fans are the oldest nerd subset.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
wow you just hit me with a blast of nostalgia!

I've got a beaten up old metal Thunderbird Two with extendable legs and a lowerable mid-section with a little Thunderbird 4. *scrambles to go find it* ^^
I had that one when I was wee, my bloody mother gave it away to some friend of hers' kid and he broke the legs off and lost Thunderbird 4

I caught all the Gerry Anderson shows during their late 80's/early 90's resurgence thanks to the repeats on BBC2; Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, and Joe 90 were the best - top stuff :biggrin:

As to the OP, he's almost entirely correct(no T5 Connie! :tongue, but I think it's pretty firmly established that CBS are perfectly happy to let STO ride off into the sunset as long as PWE keep feeding them royalties until it drops dead, and modern corporations only care about the figures for the next quarter, and perhaps the quarter after that, so trying to get them to consider things long-term is a fruitless endeavour.
--------------
We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.