Career Officer
# 21
06-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Agreed, sir. Very much agreed.
[/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
Career Officer
# 22
06-21-2012, 08:28 AM
This was the appeal STO had for me at the very begining. I would buy new costumes and even hunt down some different editions of the game to get novelty items. I participated in the refferal program to get the Galaxy-X and immediately bought the VA ships instead of grinding for them because I wanted to support more ships being in the game.

But once PWE took over and we started to move down this style of F2P methodology, I noticed quality degregation, Featured Episodes cut and story quality itself lost, non-trekky items being thrown in just to make a quick buck and everything suddenly being a nickle and dime. ESD was re-done with cartoonish interfaces instead of keeping the 25th century look it had before, the Trek theme from the launcher and then eventually the website.

In essence, the game became MMO centric instead of Star Trek Centric. The appeal of being a good online game based on Star Trek that allowed your own pace of progress and your own style became nothing but a grind or pay just to get simple novelty items. It truely saddens me to see how this game became as it had so much potential at the begining.
Empire Veteran
# 23
06-21-2012, 09:48 AM
It's a cool MMO as it is (although the game engine gives me the feeling to play a mid 1990's game, as far as gameplay possibilities are concerned. Eg : no 3D, instances and separate zones for everything, etc.), but there is a long way to make it a Star Trek game. Such a long way.

The fact is that we really get the feeling that the game management has little concern about the game being Star Trek, and I bet that most of the PWE management team members didn't watch any single Star Trek episode. Which is sad, since they are consequently unable to understand what the players want and why they really want that. Instead of that, we get nice but very classical MMO features, a card game (doffs), territory control coming after starbases, the cheapest pvp ever...

Come on ! This is not just a game ! This should be adding to the Star Trek universe, not just copying-pasting old scripts and ideas every MMO uses with a Star Trek skin. I believe that what we all love in star trek are the amazing stories, characters we really like, the interactions between races and factions, and so on. Where is that in STO ?

The most interesting feature I see there is the foundry, but it looks like the ressources investment goes somewhere else. For uncreative features, obviously. :biggrin:

Oh, and OP, the true Star Trek fans aren't abused here, you shouldn't say that. It's a cool MMO woth a Star Trek skin but I'm sure we all know that. Consequently, people will stay here for the people they know, not for the skin itself, which is, probably, just an excuse for a MMO.

Last edited by diogene0; 06-21-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Career Officer
# 24
06-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by branmakmorrn View Post
One would have thought Cryptic would have learned this under Atari, when they ran $30k in the red one year and $15k in the red the next. 2 straight years-no profits.

One would have thought Cryptic would have learned this after launch, when entire fleets left the game. Or a year after launch, when entire fleets continued to leave the game (like mine).

The fact Cryptic sold out in both the literal and figurative senses of the word to foreign company is proof STO is in Salvage Operation mode- which might be profitable for the company, but is negligent to the game and the IP.

Stop treating STO like a salvage operation (lockboxes, releasing 1-2 missions at a time like 'snacks' to tide players over 'till next month, releasing in-game items obtainable only through paying cash-money a la lobi store BS) . . .

. . .And start treating it like Star Trek because that's the only way it will truly succeed.
Just a heads up... ATARI was in the red because of their lousy accounting and bad business decisions...
(In fact, buying Cryptic was probably the only Good decision they had made in years.)

Cryptic was the only thing they had that was making them money and the main reason they sold it was to pay off their other overwhelming debts... (and the fact that PWI was willing to give them a huge sum of money... about $50 million.)

ATARI claimed that Cryptic was a godsend while trying to sell it... (and proved it with their adjusted tax claims, it really was the only thing they had that brought in more money than it lost.)

Then claimed it lost them money, after they sold it. (which they also proved with their next year adjusted tax claims in order to write-off/pay-off most of those overwhelming other debts... about $30 million.)
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 06-21-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 25
06-21-2012, 10:11 AM
The oldest nerd subset is the Shaman, witch doctor, tribal witch, etc. What ever you called him, the guy that was too small to hunt with the hunter group and unwilling to gather food with the women and children.
The guy who would jump around and scream while reading the entrails of the latest kill to determine if the gods where happy or if rain would come soon. The crazy guy that held power in the tribe based off his knowledge as oppossed to his skill of arm and body.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Career Officer
# 26
06-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
The oldest nerd subset is the Shaman, witch doctor, tribal witch, etc. What ever you called him, the guy that was too small to hunt with the hunter group and unwilling to gather food with the women and children.
The guy who would jump around and scream while reading the entrails of the latest kill to determine if the gods where happy or if rain would come soon. The crazy guy that held power in the tribe based off his knowledge as oppossed to his skill of arm and body.
And the one with the craziest hair-doo. :wink:
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Career Officer
# 27
06-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Right on point
Captain
# 28
06-21-2012, 10:26 AM
I am a Trekkie, and therefore i have my own opinions, if you disagree, then excellent! You just help illustrate my point that Trekkies are an incredibly diverse and hard to please group! All the more reason PWE needs to take this into account and start treating this like game like Star Trek. :wink:

P.S. I never wanted to step on the backs of our geeky-forefathers. I was going to say "Or, abusing one of the oldest nerd subsets for fun and profit". I seriously was, it just didn't fit in the header. :frown:
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Ensign
# 29
06-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstamo01 View Post
You broke rule #2 with rules 1,3,4 and 5.

Hehe, yep. Glad someone else picked that up, too.
Career Officer
# 30
06-21-2012, 10:39 AM
If they (the Ferengis running PWE) want to decide what makes the very soul of the game (aka the Community) can be sacrified without remorse for more profits, so be it.

They will have to deal with the consequences, whatever they are.

I understand why they did not announce the changes, they knew real ST fans would not agree with theses changes.

I do blame Cryptic for putting the game in this position. I really hope they'll wake up before thing get too worse to be fixed.

As the Borg would say "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated". Let's show them resistance is never futile.