Lt. Commander
# 1 Transporting objects
12-05-2010, 06:32 AM
I am trying to set up something similar to the following.

after killing a number of mobs, I then have to find and collect a number of containers, I can get it to lpace, find and even interact with them, but when I use the transport object effect, it is applied to my character not to the object.

Any ideas??

thanks

currently published under

stoked alpha
Lt. Commander
I am also trying to figure out how to apply transporter effects to detail objects, so far no luck here. Any help out there ?
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-15-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm afraid that while we can make detail objects disappear, we cannot assign animations to them such as "beam out."

To make it disappear when the player interacts with it, select the object and look at the bottom menu, you will see two tabs, click on the one that says "states." Now, you want to set it to go from visible to hidden when "this component complete."

If that object is tied to an objective, you can set an animation for the player to do, like scan with a tricorder, tap combadge, etc., from the main story tab.

If it is not tied to an objective, you'll see another tab in the bottom menu for that object that will say triggers. Click on that and you'll get the options for setting player animation.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-17-2012, 07:48 PM
There may be a couple ways to fake it... which I've been considering for a mission I have. The is one FX object, which I don't know the name, which is a rotating column of red light. In theory, you can "story" it as a transporter beam around an object, particularly a Klingon one, albeit without the sound effect.

The other option I've thought of... "prop costume" contacts can selected. I don't think non-combat contacts get a beam in effect when they appear, but combat ones do (so if you have the prop costume object appear behind an invisible wall so that can't aggro or be attacked, that should work). I haven't tried this, but you could also have a short, small prop object (like the Borg device thing) appear in front of the object that's beamed in but behind a short wall or obstruction (maybe even within the object beaming in, not sure if that will obscure the effect though), you'll get the full FX.

I haven't tried the methods above, to be honest, so I can't vouch for how well they work.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-18-2012, 10:07 AM
You know I didn't think about using props. As far as I know, npc contacts beam in when they spawn, so you can try using the create props (those are in the npc contact menu instead of details).