Starfleet Veteran
Trying to decide whether I arm my ship with quantums or transphasics. Either way I can get them to fire one per second (without boff abilities like HYT or Spread) with very good reliability.

Here are my pros and cons for each.

Quantum pro - when they hit unshielded targets they're inflicting upwards of 4,000 per hit. I've landed one or two 20,000 criticals, too.

Quantum con - when hitting a shielded target they're landing between 400-500 per hit.

Transphasic pro - when hitting a shielded target they're landing around 1,100 to 1,300 per hit.

Transphasic con - when hitting unshielded targets they're doing around 2,000-2,300 per hit.

I'm able to strip shields with some regularity, but the victim is always just a 90 degree turn from having shields.

Based on the above numbers, which do you think is more valuable, quantums or transphasics?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Before I can give you my estimation, I need to know whether you are talking for PVP or for STF PVE.

In PVP, between these two, the transphasics are superior: most other players are going to drop as soon as their shields go down. In PVE, when you're pounding borg who have light shields but tons of hull, Quantum torpedoes would be superior.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
06-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Coming Soon***

Transphasic torps will be getting the 20% shield bypass increased to 40% shield bypass.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
06-21-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm not going to bother with PvP. I tried it for the first time today and I can understand why so many people avoid it.

I fired at point blank range at a klink cruiser's port side for almost a full minute with three phased polaron cannons that were either on rapid fire or scatter volley due to tactical initiative. My cannons do between 1,800 to 3,000 DPS, depending on energy and other boff abilities and I didn't even break through his shield.

If that's the state of PvP then I think it's so broken it will take forever to fix. Seeing as how the vast majority of players don't PvP, then the time wasted to fix PvP could go to so much end of game content, new episodes, etc.
Banned
# 5
06-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
I'm not going to bother with PvP. I tried it for the first time today and I can understand why so many people avoid it.

I fired at point blank range at a klink cruiser's port side for almost a full minute with three phased polaron cannons that were either on rapid fire or scatter volley due to tactical initiative. My cannons do between 1,800 to 3,000 DPS, depending on energy and other boff abilities and I didn't even break through his shield.

If that's the state of PvP then I think it's so broken it will take forever to fix. Seeing as how the vast majority of players don't PvP, then the time wasted to fix PvP could go to so much end of game content, new episodes, etc.
Mistake #1: You stayed on one target by yourself for a full minute without taking notice of buffs he was using (EPTS, Extends, Tac Teams, RSP, etc) and adapting accordingly.

Mistake #2: You didn't coordinate fire with your team, treating it like it was some haphazard PvE match against useless AI's that can't think.

Mistake #3: You anticipated that because you can damage AI ships that do not have the same skill builds and team builds of your enemies, that by default you can rip them apart in the same fashion. The truth is, AIs rotate the same 4-5 skills whereas humans have a pool of 2+ dozen to cycle against you.

I don't mean to sound rude, but you can't honestly expect to have done any better against competitive, intelligent players without even accomodating these things? Of course you're not going to get much done in PvP with tactics like that.

I could have saved you the heartache if you'd come on here and asked if doing that would be of any success in PvP.

The PvP climate does have a large number of players. For Cryptic to ignore that would be suicide for the game, as PvE and scripted content only goes so far, in any game. Particularly a persistent world.

But for future reference... I don't care if you had 50 Gal-X Spinal Lances on a 30sec CD at point blank unloading all at once on 1 enemy who's at 1% HP... 1 skill will have rendered that entire volley obsolete, and buy him the time to be healed back to 100%.

PvP isn't about a DPS race.

It's about situational awareness, tactical and strategic thinking, teamwork, reflex, proper build design, identification of BOTH your skills AND your enemy's... the list goes on.

It is not PvE where you can spam the space bar and expect to come out on top every single time. Same rules don't apply.

That does NOT mean it is broken.

It just means you did it wrong.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
06-21-2012, 01:23 PM
4 ships were concentrating on this one klink ship. Despite the constant pounding, his shields remained comfortably blue. For 4 ships to not even scratch the shields of a single ship, well, that's hardly believable to me.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
06-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Oh, and the strength of a good game is to have it be accessible across all areas for all players. I would regard myself to be of good skill. I can take on a cube in elite stf by myself comfortably, yet I couldn't make a dent in someone's shields whilst being assisted by three other ships.

How do you think people with less skill will fare, and how encouraging would it be for a relatively new player? To have the entire PvP section fenced off like this shows a broken element.
Banned
# 8
06-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
Oh, and the strength of a good game is to have it be accessible across all areas for all players. I would regard myself to be of good skill. I can take on a cube in elite stf by myself comfortably, yet I couldn't make a dent in someone's shields whilst being assisted by three other ships.

How do you think people with less skill will fare, and how encouraging would it be for a relatively new player? To have the entire PvP section fenced off like this shows a broken element.
4 players concentrating him... You missed in that 50 spinal lances can hit a player simultaneously and 1 skill will render that entire volley obsolete.

Your homework... a test of your ability to beat another player, and a very simple test at that... is to tell me what skill that is.

And no, it is not a trick question.

It is even a skill you can double-up on to cut the cooldown timer in half. Something many players in PvP do, when they assume their build will be one of focus fire.

Come on, use your head. You can't honestly tell me you don't have any depth to tactical knowledge or ability to learn?

I honestly don't care what people of less skill fare or think.

And I have very good reason not to.

You don't learn unless you fail.

Those like you enter PvP once and make a stupid mistake (and yes... what you did was retardedly stupid. I'm sorry. That's just being honest), and suddenly think it's all broken and doomed.

You don't even stop to think, "Hey... maybe it was something that I did wrong, instead of design or someone else?"

Without that, the less-skilled players never get skilled. They never learn. They never grow. They never adapt.

They are never a challenge.

And they never should have touched PvP in ANY game to begin with, because the same rules apply.

I'm sorry. What you suggest is to instantly take a completely unskilled player with no knowledge whatsoever of tactical or strategic interest (you), and trying to instantly and without training or experience put them on the same level as the rest of us.

That's like putting 2 cars in a race, one with a twin V-12 engine and nitros, and the other with a V4, and expecting a fair fight.

You're ridiculous if you're actually serious about what you're proposing.
Commander
# 9
06-21-2012, 02:10 PM
PvP isn't an efficiency race, true. It's a Carrierspam and p2wconsoles race.
PvP might be more populated if its core crowd wasn't so full of itself.

Now, back to the original question, a few numbers (all Torpedo Launchers below are Mk XII White):

Photon DPV against Hull: 2980
Photon DPS against Hull: 458.46
Photon DPV against Shields: 298
Photon DPS against Shields: 45.84

Quantum DPV against Hull: 3313
Quantum DPS against Hull: 389.76
Quantum DPV against Shields: 331
Quantum DPS against Shields: 38.98

Transphasic DPV against Hull: 2155
Transphasic DPS against Hull: 205.24
Transphasic DPV against Shields: 431
Transphasic DPS against Shields: 41.05

See, even against Shielded targets, less DPS than Photons and not that much more than Quantums. Sure, they do the most DPV against Shielded targets, but does that really matter?

But there's a rumour that they'll be buffed to 40% Shield Penetration soon, at which point they'll be more viable.
Until then, Transphasics are pretty pointless.
Banned
# 10
06-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiscustodiet View Post
PvP isn't an efficiency race, true. It's a Carrierspam and p2wconsoles race.
1 8-beam cruiser with 2 instances of FAW. The same cruiser is also packing a Commander and LTC Engineer stations, enabling it to easily tank the entire volley of spams without so much as breaking a sweat while it does its job.

I, by myself, just rendered your entire team's spam completely and totally obsolete with 1 skill (technically 2, but the same skill repeated).

Easy damn counter... you can't see that? Come on. That was the easiest and most ridiculous idea you could have used to laugh at its inaccuracy.

If that's your assessment of PvP, given it is completely false, your follow up statement stands invalid.