Ensign
# 21
06-22-2012, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
Why do you think there are motions to fix PvP? Companies don't spend money fixing things unless they're broken.

As an aside, I love all things Trek, and I don't appreciate game-play that revolves around repeating the same skill time and again to fix or survive any scenario. It's not Trek, and the game should have no place for it. Can you imagine how boring the shows would have been if everything revolved around the same skills which appeared every episode? "We're being pursued, Spock? Well then, let's just vent warp plasma again. Worked the last 248 times!!!" "The Romulans are attacking us!! Quick, Mr Data. Reverse shield polarity over and over. That'll ensure our survival!!" How utterly droll.
Do you actually think this statement makes any sense? The only thing cryptic is trying to do is add some more depth and a bit of balance to the pvp side. It isn't broken. Any mmo you play, if you pvp, you will come across a player that can tank 2,3 sometimes 4 other players. Why? Because they know exactly what you can and cannot do and how to counter it. They have all the best "gear" and that gives them the extra edge they need to do this. They practice over and over and it has become second nature to them.

Honestly can you really say pve is any different? Sure maybe the content changes but your skills are the same. You are using the same tactics over and over in pve and because you can't enter pvp and smash face you assume it's "broken".

You need to realize that in any mmo the best players are those that pvp. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that players that pve aren't good but it is much harder to fight a thinking opponent that can change tactics at any moment than it is to fight a scripted opponent.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

So you felt obliged to attack some typing error to dont have to deal with the contain itself, that you couldn't grasp and when you could, you didnt have the brain to can answer it
Captain
# 22
06-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
I'm getting a torpedo every second by loading 3 tubes up front with three purple doffs. I use quantums as when you reduce the reload by 5 seconds you're left with a 3.5 second reload. 3 seconds of this is absorbed by the global cooldown of the 3 tubes and the 0.5 seconds seems to disappear as firing a torpedo is never an instantaneous effect.
so firing one quantum doesn't reset the identical torpedo type cooldown on the other tubes? interesting.

of course, I use everything by using warhead yield chambers. hargh'peng, plasma, transphasic, quantum up front, with tricobalt and photons aft. high yield plasmas and tricobalt devices provide the entertainment. I can easily drive multiple rapid cooldowns via my doffs so that the hargh'peng and tricobalt devices are ready much sooner. then there is the KHG bonus and rule 62 bonus (for the more dedicated), along with firing from cloak... all of which I'm sure Starfleet will get before long for a mere handful of c points.
Nessia (KDF Sci), IKS Aluminum Falcon (B'rel Retrofit)

Swimsuits: People will pay almost any price to let their characters show a little skin... any price except joining the KDF.
Banned
# 23
06-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyoga View Post
Do you actually think this statement makes any sense? The only thing cryptic is trying to do is add some more depth and a bit of balance to the pvp side. It isn't broken. Any mmo you play, if you pvp, you will come across a player that can tank 2,3 sometimes 4 other players. Why? Because they know exactly what you can and cannot do and how to counter it. They have all the best "gear" and that gives them the extra edge they need to do this. They practice over and over and it has become second nature to them.

Honestly can you really say pve is any different? Sure maybe the content changes but your skills are the same. You are using the same tactics over and over in pve and because you can't enter pvp and smash face you assume it's "broken".

You need to realize that in any mmo the best players are those that pvp. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that players that pve aren't good but it is much harder to fight a thinking opponent that can change tactics at any moment than it is to fight a scripted opponent.

While you're absolutely correct, you're wasting your breath.

Even walking out of the PvPvsPve debate (which he started... strangely if he did not all he had to do was say, "I don't enjoy PvP" as opposed to insulting us off the bat, prompting my response to begin with), He's displayed already that the fact he stayed 60 seconds on 1 target and even after seeing 4 players focusing him for that duration, it didn't occur to him...

"...Hey, this guy isn't going down, his entire team must be focusing him to keep him up along with a REALLY nice implementation of tact... Maybe we should change targets suddenly and without warning, to catch their healers and tanks off guard and burn another target?"

Nope... instead, 60 seconds (which in PvP is an INSANELY LONG amount of time) of spamming the spacebar thinking the system is broken without even stopping to think at all, but more importantly on the notation that maybe he's doing something wrong?

No strategic or tactical awareness at all.

Probably had 2+ Extends on him, 2x RSPs, 2x EPtS, 2x Tac Teams, and any number of heals between 5 ships. Yet didn't occur at all to, now that all this attention is given to 1 target to keep them alive (as is standard PvP tactic in ANY game), to try to catch your enemy off guard by making a coordinated target-swap to a random target.

Hell, I've seen PuG parties pull this off, there is no excuse.

That one teeny little no-brainer would have altered the course of the entire match.

But we're trying to explain PvP to an RPer... it's like trying to explain the intricacies of the human mind's ability to analyze and defeat a problem to an insect.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~kalecto

Last edited by kalecto; 08-04-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Ensign
# 24
06-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Quote:
I don't play a Star Trek game one-handed because I'm whacking off trying to imagine myself in a "real life" Captain chair.
I personally find this remark offensive and uncalled for. This right here is why I don't have anything to do with pvp or let my children play this game no matter how much they beg me.

__________________________________________________ ___________
Banned
# 25
06-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgazer View Post
I personally find this remark offensive and uncalled for. This right here is why I don't have anything to do with pvp or let my children play this game no matter how much they beg me.
Thankfully I find the very notion of being offended by words to be ridiculous in and of itself, but that is aside the point. It is merely a means used when a comment cannot be responded to intellectually, and therefore demanding acknowledgment of a feigned negative emotional response in an effort to bully someone else to alter their behavior to suit personal whim.

Alongside that, what you do with your children is your business sir, not mine. I honestly don't care. I've my own to worry about. And frankly if I thought my son were so inept that he couldn't comprehend that sometimes a combat veteran is going to talk like a combat veteran from time to time, then I'd have to question not my speech behavior, but the intellectual critical thinking skills I've taught him to date alongside his ability to accept his fellow human being in spite of small speech terms used that I might not personally like for whatever reason.

To feign any of the above in my opinion is fundamentally dishonest, and frankly I prize integrity above saving someone else's feelings.

Last edited by hakaishinlegion; 06-22-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Captain
# 26
06-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaishinlegion View Post
Hell, I've seen PuG parties pull this off, there is no excuse.
From my experience based on PuGs I've been on, getting a PuG to focus on one target in the first place requires a minor miracle.

Sigh.
Ensign
# 27
06-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post
From my experience based on PuGs I've been on, getting a PuG to focus on one target in the first place requires a minor miracle.

Sigh.
I do agree that this is nearly impossible myself. However you do run across some truly great fleetless players or those whose fleets aren't online etc, that are good art coordinating pugs. Not often but it does happen.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

So you felt obliged to attack some typing error to dont have to deal with the contain itself, that you couldn't grasp and when you could, you didnt have the brain to can answer it
Banned
# 28
06-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahinder View Post

Sigh.
Oh I admit it is rare, you're correct. But the fact that it does happen is impressive and leaves the actions of this man relatively without excuse.

Ironically, if you use team chat in a pug PvP, you'll often be surprised however at how well your team will respond.
Ensign
# 29
06-23-2012, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiscustodiet View Post
Transphasic DPV against Hull: 2155
Transphasic DPS against Hull: 205.24
Transphasic DPV against Shields: 431
Transphasic DPS against Shields: 41.05
The numbers are wrong there. Transphasic does +20% shield penetration (not raw 20%), and due to the way resistance works becomes:
(1-0.1)*(1-0.2) = 0.72 resistance => 28% bleedthrough

Transphasic Hull DPV against Shields: 603
Transphasic Hull DPS against Shields: 57.46

And you still get the usual (heavily reduced) damage against the shields themselves.

When/if the new +40% bleedthrough goes live it becomes:
(1-0.1)*(1-0.4) = 0.54 resistance => 46% bleedthrough

Transphasic (40%) Hull DPV against Shields: 991
Transphasic (40%) Hull DPS against Shields: 94.41

Which IMO is too high (+30% bleedthrough would give a good dps/bleedthrough balance with other torps).

Of course, none of that factors in the targets Kinetic resistances (which are then applied). Once you add that in, Brace For Impact and active console resists does a lot less vs Transphasic over time, as they're best used when your shields drop.
Ensign
# 30
06-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Well as it seems that this thread has taken on two distinct subjects I have a question that fits in with both. As I'm fairly new to the game, I've only been playing for a little under a month now, I've made it up to level 50, Vice Admiral. My ship is a Sovereign class with two tetreyon dual beams and two quantum torpedoes in front and two tetreyon beam arrays and two more quantum torpedoes in back. All weapons are MK X or higher and blue or purple. In all missions I can wipe out any enemy that approaches quickly except borg cubes. They can tear through my ship in a matter of seconds every time. Oh, and my shields are MK XI with a total capacity of over 6000 with a recharge rate of around 120 every 3.5 seconds.

My question is this: I'm currently looking for a combo of boffs or a general idea of what works and what doesn't that would increase my odds of survival against borg cubes and in PvP battles. Currently PvP matches are "Let's see how fast I can get my ship vaporized!" I currently use overload beam arrays, torpedo spread, vent plasma, and attack pattern alpha as my main goto combat tactics. As I said before, I'm kind of new to this game so any constructive advice is appreciated.