Career Officer
# 1 Using STO storyline characters
06-21-2012, 07:33 PM
I want to ask, just to be safe.

I seem to recall it was okay to use STO characters in Foundry missions. After all I recall one famous Foundry mission where we get revenge on ol Slamak.

But I'm wondering if we can use more pivotal characters like B'vat? I got an idea to use him and tie up loose ends with his story. And hoping its okay.
Captain
# 2
06-21-2012, 07:46 PM
I don't see why not. Everyone does it, and it's not at all forbidden in the EULA.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Captain
# 3
06-21-2012, 08:29 PM
The only thing the EULA really says is that you can't use the image of any of the actors. Exactly how close is too close? I guess we'll need to wait for someone to get there to see.
Career Officer
# 4
06-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I figured that even the Dev Team even applauded the author getting revenge on Slamek.

So I'll sneek in ol B'vat. The story isn't about him, but hes sort of that loose end that can help tie things together.
Lieutenant
# 5
06-22-2012, 01:58 AM
recently played a foundry mission that featured Admiral T'nae and Obisek (tho he didn't realy look prefectly like Obisek in the Featured Series).
Also I noted that alot of missions I played so far mentioned Franklin Drake and I find it strange that they just don't put him in their missions. People have been adding ingame characters in their mission all the time

As a side note, when they made Captian Shon commanding the Enterprise, my main problem with him is that there was very little to no Development with him, Authors could use the foundry to rememdy this
Career Officer
# 6
06-22-2012, 02:10 AM
This is covered and answered in the EULA FAQ stickied in this forum.

Quote:
8. Can we include Cryptic-made characters and stories in our Foundry missions? (e.g. the Admiral on Earth Spacedock, or the new Captain of the Enterprise-F)
Nothing in the EULA prevents this. Please refer to the EULA for a list of “Star Trek Properties”.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*

Last edited by nynik; 06-22-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
06-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Well then the next question would be, how do you use STO characters? Last time I checked none of the characters mentioned in this thread are included in the character asset list. Is there another way to add them to your missions, or do you have to make your own costumes of them? And if so, has anyone posted screenshots of all the costume settings needed to create approximations of these characters?

In particular, I would like to use Franklin Drake in "Ghosts of War, Part V" (and maybe Part VI too). I do have a Plan B to make up some other Section 31 dude to use in his place if needed, but I'd much rather use Drake himself.

Last edited by paxfederatica; 06-23-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Captain
# 8
06-24-2012, 10:16 AM
There are a few in the asset list, but for the most part you'll have to make them yourself in the costume editor.
Please fix the Foundry lag!