Captain
Tonight or tomorrow, depending on where you live, the Mars Rover Curiosity lands on the Martian surface.

So in the midst of the Olympics, take a moment to cheer, pray or simply hope for the success of a one ton robot as it rockets to the landscape of the red planet. Be it we discover life, water, oil, the simple thrill of learning, or a stepping stone to the greater space beyond, here's hoping to the success of one small robot hurtling through the vastness of space.

And may it's eight month journey, be only the beginning.

Watch the NASA livestream here.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-05-2012, 02:07 PM
absolutely... this is a very important and monumental event for the world and the ever dwindling into non existant U.S. space program.

Maybe we should all cross our fingers that they do find oil on mars and watch funding for NASA apper all of a sudden. lol
Career Officer
# 3
08-05-2012, 02:21 PM
I hope everything goes well as this mission will have significant effects on future funding of extra-planetary exploration. I hope to tune in from 5/6 am + (GMT iirc) to see history being made.

Here is a good artistic rendition of whats going to happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwinFP8_qIM
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Captain
# 4
08-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Wil Wheaton is narrating a special feature on Curiosity on that NASA Livestream, like, RIGHT NOW.

EDIT: Both William Shatner and Wheaton have been asked to narrate two versions of the same video.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots

Last edited by sumghai; 08-05-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 5
08-05-2012, 04:04 PM
So NASA made it to Mars before STO?

(Wow, I cannot believe I typed that...)
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6 Good Luck Curiosity!
08-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Best of luck to all the engineers and personnel responsible for the Curiosity Mars rover. Thank you for your hard work in this audacious attempt at learning more about the red planet.

May the landing go just as planned.

-Forjo
Join Date: Aug 2008 -------------------- My oldest post (that I can find)
Location: Houston, TX ------------------ Former Cryptic User #11424

Stop the easily abused and unfair auto-silence "feature"!
Captain
# 7
08-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Why is this historic again? We've sent rovers to mars before. Because this time we are getting a live feed thats 14 minutes old that will show Curiosity just before she touches down?

How many USS Curiosity are flying around STO right now? Im sure theres a few lol.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
"Captain, the entity appears to be A New Accord"
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
08-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I second, third and fourth this. What an awesome achievement this represents for man. May it be the small stepping stone to greater and more wondrous things.
Career Officer
# 9
08-05-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm streaming NASA in HD right now. Roughly a half-hour before the craft enters Mars atmosphere. 7 minutes of terror for the team. To see if the craft survives entry.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Tier 2 Constitution for Fleet Refit!
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 10
08-05-2012, 10:14 PM
T-minus 17 minutes! Things are looking really good! Reminder from OP, livestream is here: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/ustream.html

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment