Lt. Commander
# 11
10-05-2009, 08:10 PM
The beta being sometime in 2009 is certainly a highlight of the article -- even though some people may have assumed as much. Great stuff!
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-05-2009, 08:33 PM
I heard this guy! I thought I was a Trek "fan" in the true sense of the word but it turns out I just like it alot, a real lot

I am just really grateful that I get to pull on the uniform myself and go foreth ... and from what I've seen they haven't stuffed it or done something that the average Trekkie won't recognise. Good work and I have a score to settle with those dang Borg who have kick'ed my arse in BOTF way too many times!
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TugBoat
I heard this guy! I thought I was a Trek "fan" in the true sense of the word but it turns out I just like it alot, a real lot

I am just really grateful that I get to pull on the uniform myself and go foreth ... and from what I've seen they haven't stuffed it or done something that the average Trekkie won't recognise. Good work and I have a score to settle with those dang Borg who have kick'ed my arse in BOTF way too many times!
now thast funny
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Guess I'm not much of a Trekkie (although I thought i was) because I have no idea what BOTF is ,,
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Starblazer View Post
Guess I'm not much of a Trekkie (although I thought i was) because I have no idea what BOTF is ,,
Birth of the Federation
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Nice to read about the ground combat. really looking forward to fluid fast paced team(pet) combat.

I wonder how long a game takes to go from closed beta to release though?

Rik
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-06-2009, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega273
Nice to read about the ground combat. really looking forward to fluid fast paced team(pet) combat.

I wonder how long a game takes to go from closed beta to release though?

Rik
If they want to do it right about 6 months at minimum..(4 or 5 months Closed Beta, 1-2 months Open Beta)

But most the time its 4 weeks Closed, 2 weeks open, then all kinds of fixing after release when people are paying for it, because there wasn't enough time spent on Closed and Open Beta (Typical New MMO)
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-06-2009, 01:31 AM
The waiting for STO transforms me into a trekkie too Somehow the game and the forum discussions got me excited and I bought a ebay package with all TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager seasons on DVD as well as all the movies. So far I watched TNG 1-5. When I watch them I look for new ship types, that I don't know yet, or other things that are discussed on the forums (for example if starfleet is a military ) Its realy fun. And I started expanding my Trek Knowledge by reading books too. The first Titan and 5 New Frontier books so far. Got me to know the Luna und Ambassador class.

I think you can so much more enjoy the game when you are a fan of the series and emersed in the world. In SWG I realy liked it to visit the places from the movies and such things. In WoW I never had this feelings. If cryptic does it right I will play STO for a long time. It could realy be a star trek fans dream. And they might be on the right track. From what I read I think they made a lot of good design decissions (everyone captain, episodic missions, exploration missions, expanding universe, pvp differences for klingon and federation etc.). I hope they will invent a good economy system. And to make a ST fan happy they need ship interiors and the possiblity to meet with friends on our on ship (I loved that in swg). Housing is for me one of the important features that make a mmo fun, I don't think that we need housing in STO, they should just create ship interiors and make our ship our home.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-06-2009, 01:32 AM
yep, pls post some better videos from ground combat. thx
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Starblazer View Post
If they want to do it right about 6 months at minimum..(4 or 5 months Closed Beta, 1-2 months Open Beta)

But most the time its 4 weeks Closed, 2 weeks open, then all kinds of fixing after release when people are paying for it, because there wasn't enough time spent on Closed and Open Beta (Typical New MMO)
Totally agree about the multiple months of Beta. Hopefully the Champions Online group at Cryptic turned to the Star Trek Online group and said, "Hey, maybe you should stretch out your Closed and Open Betas so you don't drop a patch on release day that 'ends the world'." Give it more time in beta, and then you can make those major changes and fine tunes before release. There's no question the game will need tweaks and fixes after release, but try to shake out fundamental mechanics beforehand.

I was initially skeptical about a Star Trek MMO. Even though I've been a trek fan since I was kid watching TOS in reruns in the 80s, I've always been trepedatious about Space MMOs. But I have to say, after reading the background lore setting up the universe for STO, and seeing videos/screenshots, I'm really looking forward to trying it out.