Captain
# 4111
07-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirepical View Post
*Searches unwaveringly for 7.2 hours* I found a former clan leader of Sidorak's species, which was experimented upon and became a Dark Hunter; it has 647 pieces, is colored red, black, yellow, and silver, and has rotating blades as hands. Is it a snipe?
No, I'm not a snipe.

Now put me down and don't stuff me in that trash bag I gave you to store snipes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Imperfection - a prequel to Ashkrik23's Perfection
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Captain
# 4112
07-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Quote:
I know something rarer. It's called a snipe.
Actually, that was how the term, "Sniper" came about. The (English) Royal Army's best Marksmen would go hunting for those tiny birds. Whomever was able to actually kill one (bringing it back to base as proof) was then declared a Sniper.

Oh and the term "Sharpshooter" came about in Amerika because those particular Marksmen used Sharps rifles, so they were "Sharps Shooters."

/end history lesson

I successfully completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE.
My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, ISS Queen Elizabeth, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord

Click here to view my DeviantArt.
Empire Veteran
# 4113
07-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaleff View Post
Actually, that was how the term, "Sniper" came about. The (English) Royal Army's best Marksmen would go hunting for those tiny birds. Whomever was able to actually kill one (bringing it back to base as proof) was then declared a Sniper.

Oh and the term "Sharpshooter" came about in Amerika because those particular Marksmen used Sharps rifles, so they were "Sharps Shooters."

/end history lesson
Where did the term "Marksmen" come from?
# 4114
07-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirepical View Post
Where did the term "Marksmen" come from?
probably from the same place sharpshooter came from - named after the type of weapon they use
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Empire Veteran
# 4115
07-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Cat picture of the day.
Little Toto from Big Cat Diary before he passed away as a baby.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr...kqsso1_400.jpg
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Captain
# 4116
07-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Today's snipe picture of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Imperfection - a prequel to Ashkrik23's Perfection
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Captain
# 4117
07-26-2013, 06:38 PM
The word "mark" pre-dates the word "target," So someone who specialized in archery was called a Marksman. This was for the better, since Targetsman just does not sound good.

Fun fact, King James II actually banned golf because it interfered with the army practising their archery.

I successfully completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE.
My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, ISS Queen Elizabeth, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord

Click here to view my DeviantArt.
Empire Veteran
# 4118
07-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaleff View Post
The word "mark" pre-dates the word "target," So someone who specialized in archery was called a Marksman. This was for the better, since Targetsman just does not sound good.

Fun fact, King James II actually banned golf because it interfered with the army practising their archery.
But hitting the opposite army with white pieces of (whatever golf balls are made of) and metal clubs is more effective......
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Rihannsu
# 4119
07-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
But hitting the opposite army with white pieces of (whatever golf balls are made of) and metal clubs is more effective......
let's see, hitting a target with a small orb of what was most likely wood back then, or hitting them with a sharp, pointed tip that was often poisoned or barbed...yeah, i think i'll take archers over golfers for my army
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4120
07-26-2013, 07:26 PM
M'Vore the master of all things orbs firmly believes that golfing balls like many objects are always far more useful for things other than their intended use, especially as very adaptable weaponry when viewed from the perspective of a ninja, but completely innocent looking to anyone else ! *Fox snicker* M'vore is sure he could get them banned in many territories.