Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,520
# 4111
07-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirepical View Post
*Searches unwaveringly for 7.2 hours* I found a former clan leader of Sidorak's species, which was experimented upon and became a Dark Hunter; it has 647 pieces, is colored red, black, yellow, and silver, and has rotating blades as hands. Is it a snipe?
No, I'm not a snipe.

Now put me down and don't stuff me in that trash bag I gave you to store snipes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Imperfection - a prequel to Ashkrik23's Perfection
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,941
# 4112
07-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
I know something rarer. It's called a snipe.
Actually, that was how the term, "Sniper" came about. The (English) Royal Army's best Marksmen would go hunting for those tiny birds. Whomever was able to actually kill one (bringing it back to base as proof) was then declared a Sniper.

Oh and the term "Sharpshooter" came about in Amerika because those particular Marksmen used Sharps rifles, so they were "Sharps Shooters."




/end history lesson

I successfully completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE.
My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, ISS Queen Elizabeth, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord

Click here to view my DeviantArt.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 588
# 4113
07-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaleff View Post
Actually, that was how the term, "Sniper" came about. The (English) Royal Army's best Marksmen would go hunting for those tiny birds. Whomever was able to actually kill one (bringing it back to base as proof) was then declared a Sniper.

Oh and the term "Sharpshooter" came about in Amerika because those particular Marksmen used Sharps rifles, so they were "Sharps Shooters."




/end history lesson
Where did the term "Marksmen" come from?
____________________________________
I am retired from STO. By the way, hindsight is 20/20.
Ferasan Shadow Force | Borg Extermination Squad
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,056
# 4114
07-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirepical View Post
Where did the term "Marksmen" come from?
probably from the same place sharpshooter came from - named after the type of weapon they use
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,115
# 4115
07-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Cat picture of the day.
Little Toto from Big Cat Diary before he passed away as a baby.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr...kqsso1_400.jpg
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,520
# 4116
07-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Today's snipe picture of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Imperfection - a prequel to Ashkrik23's Perfection
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,941
# 4117
07-26-2013, 06:38 PM
The word "mark" pre-dates the word "target," So someone who specialized in archery was called a Marksman. This was for the better, since Targetsman just does not sound good.

Fun fact, King James II actually banned golf because it interfered with the army practising their archery.

I successfully completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE.
My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, ISS Queen Elizabeth, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord

Click here to view my DeviantArt.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,115
# 4118
07-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaleff View Post
The word "mark" pre-dates the word "target," So someone who specialized in archery was called a Marksman. This was for the better, since Targetsman just does not sound good.

Fun fact, King James II actually banned golf because it interfered with the army practising their archery.
But hitting the opposite army with white pieces of (whatever golf balls are made of) and metal clubs is more effective......
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,056
# 4119
07-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
But hitting the opposite army with white pieces of (whatever golf balls are made of) and metal clubs is more effective......
let's see, hitting a target with a small orb of what was most likely wood back then, or hitting them with a sharp, pointed tip that was often poisoned or barbed...yeah, i think i'll take archers over golfers for my army
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 437
# 4120
07-26-2013, 07:26 PM
M'Vore the master of all things orbs firmly believes that golfing balls like many objects are always far more useful for things other than their intended use, especially as very adaptable weaponry when viewed from the perspective of a ninja, but completely innocent looking to anyone else ! *Fox snicker* M'vore is sure he could get them banned in many territories.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:23 AM.