Lieutenant
# 1 Earth Spacedock
06-22-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm probably gonna get a LOT of haters here, but... am I the only one who preferred the look of the earlier spacedock the game had? I still like how it is now, and although it was kinda cool to see when i first started playing, I kinda wish they'd kept it in.

Though I'm not complaining about them actually taking feedback into consideration, no siree :tongue:

So, thoughts?
===========

Yeah... Not the best signiture, but it's my first time using an advanced image editing program, so... woo!
Career Officer
# 2
06-22-2012, 02:53 PM
The new ESD is closer to the show. Unfortunately, I never much liked that design. :tongue: I'm with the OP on this one.
I miss my _.
Captain
# 3
06-22-2012, 03:01 PM
When did we actually see the inside of ESD as a whole? I must have missed that.

I really have no preference. I saw the old ESD for like 1 day. I don't even recall it.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Lieutenant
# 4
06-22-2012, 03:07 PM
I've never seen it personnally except for old screenshots, but I quite like it. I don't think we should stick to what is 'canon' just for the sake of it, because this is like 30 years in the future of any series. I'm sure ESD could use an overhaul after being in service for so long :p
===========

Yeah... Not the best signiture, but it's my first time using an advanced image editing program, so... woo!
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
06-22-2012, 03:09 PM
I never minded it. it's been what 150 years since the time of Star Trek III, not unreasonable for Starfleet to have built a new one, and the look was cool.

If you're pining for the old version, its still in the Foundry. Go make a mission and use the premade Sol System space map and the Earth Spacedock interior map.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Career Officer
# 6
06-22-2012, 03:15 PM
I have to majorly disagree here guys. I'm very glad they adopted the change. Like it or hate it, its as canon as a Galaxy Class or a Tricorder.

I find it beautiful and Federation-y. The previous station was alright, but always felt out of place to me.

It appeared in the films from three to six (with three: the search for spock showing it during the Enterprise heist), and was referred to seen in reused clips in a few episodes.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Lieutenant
# 7
06-22-2012, 03:27 PM
The biggest reason I wish they'd kept it the same is that they seem to have made the fleet starbases mushrooms too to reflect this. I can understand if you want to play a star trek game, you want the star trek locales :p

Compared to the KDF Starbases, Fed fleetbases looks very plain. I wonder if they would have gave the design of the exterior more character if they did keep it different?
===========

Starfleet Veteran
# 8
06-22-2012, 03:28 PM
I prefer the new ESD as the old one was a monstrosity
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Did not mind the old one but it did seem out of place am really glad they changed it to something more traditional
Cryptic Studios Team
# 10
06-22-2012, 04:12 PM
The old ESD was a monstrosity. I would not be opposed to using it as some other starbase in some far off section of the galaxy, but it should not represent Starfleet's home base. It does not look starfleet imo.

I wouldn't mind if Starfleet updated ESD to some newer version, but I would expect that the newer version would be more in line with the aesthetics that Starfleet has. i.e. a 2409 version of ESD, would look similar, just newer/shinier, perhaps more aggressive with the Klingon War.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?