Empire Veteran
# 11
06-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
The old ESD was a monstrosity. I would not be opposed to using it as some other starbase in some far off section of the galaxy, but it should not represent Starfleet's home base. It does not look starfleet imo.

I wouldn't mind if Starfleet updated ESD to some newer version, but I would expect that the newer version would be more in line with the aesthetics that Starfleet has. i.e. a 2409 version of ESD, would look similar, just newer/shinier, perhaps more aggressive with the Klingon War.
have to agree. i wish the bases scattered about looked more like the esd, perhaps without the top most mushroom, but just the ball on the bottom up to the mid section without that large top dock section. i guess the 39 sierra style does look like the starbases from the paintings in picard's quarters, but i have never liked the look of them. most star bases should look old like ESD, i highly doubt they scrap and rebuild them every 50 or even 100 years.

one thing i was wondering about upcoming starbases, are then going to be a target able npc thats attack able, or are then going to be just map assets that cant be interacted with. betting its the later, but starbase assaults would be more interesting if you could shoot the base and the base could shoot back.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Community Moderator
# 12
06-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Quote:
The old ESD was a monstrosity. I would not be opposed to using it as some other starbase in some far off section of the galaxy, but it should not represent Starfleet's home base. It does not look starfleet imo.

I wouldn't mind if Starfleet updated ESD to some newer version, but I would expect that the newer version would be more in line with the aesthetics that Starfleet has. i.e. a 2409 version of ESD, would look similar, just newer/shinier, perhaps more aggressive with the Klingon War.
Dammit Taco, get the old ESD in the Starbase system before it's too late man!
Cryptic Studios Team
# 13
06-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Ewwww. . . why would I want that thing to touch any of my new shinies?!
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Community Moderator
# 14
06-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Fine fine, maybe a foundry map where it's not in orbit of Earth?
Commander
# 15
06-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th View Post
Fine fine, maybe a foundry map where it's not in orbit of Earth?
Just make it a placeable foundry object.

I personally like the design.
Captain
# 16
06-22-2012, 04:57 PM
I like either one. The old one was based off what they called "Dry Dock" or San Francisco Fleet Yards. Like the others said was used in the Motion Picture through III. Later in Nemesis you can see the Enterprise E in a more updated version. And I remember seeing it in a few screen shots later on specially when you can see the Mars ship yards. You can see a few there. I think that was in a Voyager episode. One other yard was a different version. It looked like a spider with a command center on top. And arms that went over the ship. The arms allowed a more wider uses for different ship designs. That one was called McKinley Station.

To me I like either ones. However Space Dock the one in the game now does allow for more crew and offices since the others required a separate officers center.
Career Officer
# 17
06-22-2012, 05:35 PM
I didn't hate the old one, but I LOVE the new one.
Username: PodSix
Fleet: None
Captain
# 18
06-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Quote:

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!

The old ESD was awesome! If I had my old threads, you could even see how it looked like it was added on to the old one (if you tried hard). And even if it was completely new, it still looked cool! It MUST be added somewhere in game!
Rihannsu
# 19
06-23-2012, 10:13 AM
I liked the old or new one depending on which way you look at it
The classic design for lack of a better term feels a little uninspired

But then I tend to be quite fond of refits, like the Galaxy X Dreadnought
Commander
# 20
06-23-2012, 10:26 AM
can someone post a screenshot of the old one? i dont know how it looked like even though i logged in as soon as the game came out but i didnt played it for long (because of the size ratio in the game) and never saw ESD from outside