# 111
06-26-2012, 12:24 PM
i agree 10char
Lt. Commander
# 112
06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleohnine View Post
The game is already on gamblers life support. Al just admitted in the recent PriorityOne interview that lockboxes are the games only chance at survival. I just find it hard to believe that a game can live off gamblers. If you arent somewhat of a diehard Trekky, why would you gamble here? Id like to think most diehard Trekkys are the smart ones not fooled into over gambling in this game. If the PvP sucks, and always has, why stay? If theres hardly any official content, why stay? The Foundry has saved this games butt with fellow Trekkys making content for us, and the game WOULD be dead by now without it, guaranteed.

The wolf pack already swarmed to TOR, picked its bones, and left. Where are they now? Maybe a few wolves came back here, but not many. What is happening is the death of the MMO. The console games have it right. Release X amount of content for Y. Gamers dont keep paying in the meantime while the studios produce the DLC. Gamers want to complain about not getting the full game for $60. We ARE getting a full game, and if its successful, you pay for seconds and thirds of the same game. If you get your fill with the first $60, then great. Still hungry, but dont want to wait for the next dinner party (the next whole game release sequel), you shell out a few more bucks for extra helpings. Im fine with DLC. It means the I pay for fullfilling entertainment where the gaming is at maximum fun because the content is new.

I dont like the MMO mentality of paying for subs (just canceled my STO gold sub a second time) while the game isnt at maximum fun, because Im playing old content over and over. And since no dev in any game can seem to get balance right for PvP, the only thing worth doing in between story content, then the MMO wont live into the 2020s. Gamers are getting smarter. We pay for maximum fun per minute of gaming, not diluted fun. Get get us the story content, or we dont pay.

STO is living off the fantasy of being a Star Trek captain, but this isnt an open sandbox world. Its too heavily based on singleplayer. When the game is telling you YOU are the only star of the show, and has done nothing so far where collaborating with other Captains makes a difference in the game, then it HAS to live off of story content. Dan wants to whine about creating it, but thats the box they designed themselves into, single player story content.

If a virtual world was really created for Star Trek where we all lived in an open world, and all our interactions with each other mattered, THEN that game would thrive.

MMOs are dying, and when you are an MMO where the raw game sucks, regardless of the IP its created from, then those MMOs will die faster than the concept itself.

It's just a matter of time.

Ignoring the fanbase is about the worse mistake that a gaming company can make. Trek fans spend millions.

MILLIONS!

PWE would rather simply apply it's asian formula to a generic game with a star-trek sticker on it, and call it a star trek game. This is doomed to failure.
HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png

CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
Ensign
# 113
06-27-2012, 11:59 AM
If the game is reliant solely on those bloody lockboxes, then it needs to do away with full on Free2play

It needs to focus on a subscription model
Commander
# 114
06-27-2012, 11:59 AM
well i like STO....a lot. i hope it is around a long time. i would like to see more positive attitude about changes / improvement rather than all this negative complaining. if you can't make someone happy why try?

if i had to pay a subsription to play i would, but i would not call this free to play exactly. i have spent some cash to get things i want. i do not buy lockboxes though.

Last edited by rdm1958; 06-27-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 115
06-27-2012, 12:16 PM
We can hope that PWE is learning to work with the fan-base (and if they do, it can only be with the input of the players ). The disappearance of the lockboxes is welcome... now if they would only be a bit more forthcoming about game plans for the future...
Lieutenant
# 116
06-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woghd View Post
It's just a matter of time.

Ignoring the fanbase is about the worse mistake that a gaming company can make. Trek fans spend millions.

MILLIONS!

PWE would rather simply apply it's asian formula to a generic game with a star-trek sticker on it, and call it a star trek game. This is doomed to failure.
Lots of fans of different IPs spend millions. Infact, lots of gamers spend millions. I don't understand why you keep implying star trek fans are any more special than them.

Also, please explain exactly what pwe have done that's so bad in game. Im not talking forums here, just the game.
Lieutenant
# 117
06-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adampdresch View Post
If the game is reliant solely on those bloody lockboxes, then it needs to do away with full on Free2play

It needs to focus on a subscription model
It was a sub based game. It didn't work so well, hence FTP.
Starfleet Veteran
# 118
06-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Lighten up! Right now, the future for STO is so bright, I gotta wear shades! The new forum changes are a sign of PWE's commitment to the game. PWE is purging all the deadwood at Cryptic, those who don't get the hint, are politely being convinced that they have better opportunities, elsewhere. It's a new age for STO! Quit being so serious.
Banned
# 119
06-27-2012, 01:11 PM
STO hasn't been STO sinse PWE took over....I miss the "old" STO...and the old forums.
Starfleet Veteran
# 120
06-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Why is there so much buttrage here? People seem to forget you have to work toward new content. Even if they dump several new sectors on us you still go to work at. There's plenty of content I have not done and I've been around since launch. But then again I have diverse interests, I do not spend all my available game time playing a singular game. I play WoW sometimes, jump on my XBox and play there.

You guys need to let PWE run the show and play the game. I know every player out there entertains the fantasy that they can do it better. While they do have a commitment to putting out more content, it's still a business. They have to collect opperating revenue somehow. Either get used to it or go do something else.
Closed Thread