Lt. Commander
# 31
06-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Before PWE took over, STO was ostensibly in cryo stasis because Atari had Cryptic running two MMOs (and developing Neverwinter) with a skeleton crew of about 20 people. All because the dinosaurs at Atari don't understand the concept of post-release support and content development.

So no, we're not going downhill. Just about anything barring outright cancellation should be considered uphill compared to that situation.
---
Relax.
Commander
# 32
06-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Enough is enough, The devs are doing what they are instructed to do, Cryptic is taking its direction from PWE who are now the people in charge. If you don't like go elsewhere.
Quote:
to recap, stop with all the Anti Dev, Anti Cryptic, Anti PWE talk, if you don't like it go elsewhere
excuse me? 'if you don't like it leave' is not only ignorant its offensive. you're making excuses for PWE and telling people to shut up and leave. you have no right to be saying things like that to anyone

Quote:
The game is F2P - that means they need to generate revenue by whatever means possible, if that is changing the lockboxes to Doff packs then that's fine with most of us as we use doffs in game
'whatever means possible' is not acceptable. there are right ways and wrong ways. what you said could mean alot of things. and who is 'most of us' exactly?

Quote:
6) About the lockboxes in general. If you don't like them, DISPOSE OF THEM. I really don't get all the grouching about them. The damned things are purely voluntary, and nothing in them is in any way necessary to participate fully in the game. So if they bother you that much, then leave'em on the field... Don't pick them up, don't roll for them in STFs, just ignore the fact that they exist and get on with your life
ignoring things doesn't make them go away. if you don't get it you haven't been paying attention.

Quote:
5) About the lockbox lottery ships, let's consider them for a bit. The Jem-bug, the Galor, the Marauder, and the Freighter. None of these ships are in ANY way end all be all, must have or the game's unwinnable, types of ships. Not one. They're unique, they're expensive, but not one is in any way the "One ship to rule them all". No one ever said they have to satisfy anyone's sense of entitlement to have every toy in the box.
it has nothing to do with making the game more 'winnable' that has nothing to do with it. you just showed you don't have any idea what the problems with the system are. and the second you bring up 'entitlement' you cease to have any kind of argument

Quote:
3) The F2P system does not, IN ANY WAY, restrict silver players from ANY mission content in the game, period
give it time

Quote:
And I think the lockboxes will be phased out eventually, Doff-pack bonuses seem to be the way of the future
yes. and i'll bet good money that the reason for this sudden changeover to doff packs has something to do with their lawyers telling them to stop with the lockboxes

Quote:
it's amazing how many chicken littles come out when things change. it has ever been the way. anyway I am out of here. pointless discussion is pointless.
so you admit you have no argument then. you just came here to insult people
Captain
# 33
06-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by delsaberedux View Post
Before PWE took over, STO was ostensibly in cryo stasis because Atari had Cryptic running two MMOs (and developing Neverwinter) with a skeleton crew of about 20 people. All because the dinosaurs at Atari don't understand the concept of post-release support and content development.

So no, we're not going downhill. Just about anything barring outright cancellation should be considered uphill compared to that situation.
This. Is your glass half full, or half full of hate?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
Career Officer
# 34
06-23-2012, 01:44 PM
lol your post lazarus is one big troll. all you did was nay say what everyone else posted you didnt agree with. that isnt an argument (cue Monty Python) anyway I made my points here and in other similar threads. getting tired also of negativity and choosing when to pick my battles. The battle over forums and cpoints is not one that will be won. The lockboxes could be if people didnt buy them, but the thing is - some people love to gamble.

If they wish to spend money on the game they can spend it as they choose. I don't like lockboxes and simply discard them but I do not grudge others who want to try their hand. If they thought about it the money they spend opening boxes would probably be enough to buy the ship outright on the exchange without all the messing about.

The move to other methods of prize boxes is simply adopting something that has been going on in PWI for a couple of years now. And the lockboxes here are not unique to PWE, Sony's promethium box in DCUO is the same but even more expensive to open. This is the market MMOs are moving into, succesful F2P involves monetising content without restricting access to it - and for all their percieved faults, this is something PWE have had some success at.

In Game: @Liath | STO Join Date: Jan 2012 | PWE Join Date: Feb 2009
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoshonuff View Post
Is it me or has STO started to go seriously downhill since PWE took over? Between all the stuipid gimmics to get cash from people, like the rediculous lock boxes with utterly frustrating uselessness, the "if you buy this pack 1000 times you MIGHT get something cool" cstore packs, the 8000 refinment limit, and not the utter faiure of their servers. The game has drastically dropped in quality since the PWE takeover. Granted we may not have STO if it were not for PWE, but I'm starting to think STO would have been better off in the hands of a more capable studio or a more compitant Dev team.

PWE you FAIL

Well Said!!
Perhaps if they cared about us, respected us, and cared about Star Trek, they wouldn't be having these problems.

but they don't.
They just want our money.
HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png

CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
Empire Veteran
# 36
06-23-2012, 01:51 PM
STO won't last 6 more months, just like it wouldn't last 6 more months after it was launched with a bunch of bugs, after they stopped development on PvP, after Stahl left, after it was sold to PWE, and after it was decided that they weren't going to focus exclusively on developing KDF fully.

Clearly, after the Holiday Gift fiasco ruined the game and the introduction of lockboxes shut down the servers, some piddly changes to the forums marks the beginning of the end.
Captain
# 37
06-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Well I heard it here first on the forums. Guess I better start selling my stuff.

I knew this would happen as soon as PWE took over ST: Enterprise, it got cancelled and now we have no more Trek on TV.

Now its STO. Khaaaaaaaaaaan!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
Ensign
# 38 What Happened?
06-23-2012, 02:13 PM
What happened to Star Trek Online? I mean sure it had bugs but those were nothing compared to Perfect World taking over. I mean from a financial point of view, it may have been good for Cryptic but as a result, any ongoing projects in Cryptic are going to tank because of the greed of Perfect World. Take a look around, Perfect World is killing Star Trek Online whether they mean it or not. Perfect World is trying to take every cent they possibly can from the players before they quietly shut down the servers one night...

Personally, I give the game two to three more years max with how Perfect World is operating it now.

So, anyone care to try to figure out when everything started going downhill, how it can be fixed, or how much longer Star Trek Online will even exist?
Survivor of Romulus
# 39
06-23-2012, 02:16 PM
I think the worst thing to happen to STO was Atari being put in charge of publishing. None of the MMO's Atari "published" that i''ve played ever got the attention to do well. dungeons and dragons Online was Atari published.... was totally neglected until they went F2P then their revenues skyrocketed.

STO instead gets sold off.
Rihannsu
# 40
06-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadek View Post
Perfect World is trying to take every cent they possibly can from the players before they quietly shut down the servers one night...
How do people keep making the jump from "they're trying to make money with a free game" to "they're about to shut down the servers any second now?"
Closed Thread