Lieutenant
# 21
06-28-2012, 06:10 PM
But aren't those dollars taxed, meaning some of my money goes to the PRC's regime?
Captain
# 22
06-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Yes they are. Much like how I began our tirade with where does the money I pay to the Federation go to? Oh right, drone attacks in the Neutral zone.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
Lieutenant
# 23
06-28-2012, 06:34 PM
So ... you're saying I should either stop being a law-abiding US citizen, or sell my soul and support China?
Captain
# 24
06-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Yes nikoagonistes. That is exactly what I'm saying.

Look, it's not you, it's me. But I don't think this is going to work out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
Captain
# 25
06-28-2012, 06:48 PM
I can;t believe I;m actually stepping into a political discussion. You folks don;t realize this but I stay away form these like the plague. First time in like years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoagonistes View Post
In China, dissidents are beaten, imprisoned and/or persecuted for their views. In the US, people can - and have - made the most outrageous statements about the government and its leaders and still remain citizens in good legal standing.
Go lookup the civil right movement and see how many times Dr. King was beaten and arrested. Heck, go lookup how many times that happened to Rosa Parks. And why did that happen? Because they weren't on good legal standing to use your own words.

Quote:
The Chinese government enforces a one-child policy among China's families (with perhaps a few exceptions) and utilizes means such as forced abortions and sterilizations to achieve those ends. In the US, however, you can have as many children as you want.
No, they actually do that at the state level:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenic...North_Carolina

I;m on battery so I won;t list them by state but most of the states have had (and I bet a couple still do) have those policies.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Lieutenant
# 26
06-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Acutally, I think all the eugenics policies in the US have been repealed.

And it looks like I'm the only one who doesn't think the current US government is morally equivalent to the Chinese Communist Party...
Career Officer
Look at this!
Lieutenant
# 28
08-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Quote:

And it looks like I'm the only one who doesn't think the current US government is morally equivalent to the Chinese Communist Party...
Morally, we are. Just, in a different way. They aren't very nice to their own people, and we're not very nice to every other countries people.

This is going way, waaaay back, about 65 or 70 years, but, I don't think it was very moral to bomb Nagasaki or Hiroshima.

Every nation has the moral principles of Q. (If that makes any sense.) The vast majority of nations in the world have been at war, which, is to begin with, completely immoral. That's why I believe America is morally equivalent to the Chinese. But, so is England, France, Germany, Turkey, The Balkan nations. We just did harm to a different group of people.

As a well know certain someone said, "Now we are all sons of bleepers."
Captain
# 29
08-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:

Apparently the NC laws weren't repealed until 2003, though. The current US government isn't morally equivalent to the Chinese Communist Party, but the US doesn't have China's population density either. That isn't excusing China, just explaining that they have a tougher situation in some ways.

The US very recently felt the need to torture suspects, and although there has been a lot of backpedaling, there was a sizable portion of the population that seemed to be backing such activity just after 911. And there are still prisoners in Guantanamo.

It is fair game to criticize China or any given country on their policies, but it is important to keep it constructive and be careful regarding outright condemning. And it is likewise important to keep one's own house in order rather than simply accept it unquestioningly out of blind patriotism or fear, and to avoid hypocrisy. Don't just claim to be better. Be better.
Career Officer
# 30
08-15-2012, 10:58 AM
I know it's a lot to ask, but can we please keep this about Cryptic and not world politics?