Ensign
So,I just came back to STO after a long hiatus. I pre-ordered and played for a few months after release,and then I stopped playing.
Anyways,my fed character is rank 47 at the moment.I decided to look around the c-store and find him a nice ship as a prize for reaching max lvl soon.I found the odyssey 3 pack bundle,which looks like fun.Now here's where things took a turn for the worse,off the road,crashed into a tree,and burst into flames.

Someone please tell me I've got something wrong here,and I'm a nublet.

I have to convert this Zen junk into C-store points at a conversion rate of 100 Zen to 80 c-store points.

The bundle cost 4000 c-store points,which would be 5000 zen.
5000(+300 bonus) Zen is $50.00 USD.

$50.00 really? for a 3 pack ship bundle? are you people out of your mind? This is enough for a whole new release game.Besides that,I've already paid $50 once,not counting my 4 months or so I was subscribed.Now you want $50 more? I don't think so.

Now,don't get me wrong.I know I don't have to buy that 3 pack ship bundle,and I can go on my merry way,playing the game without spending a dime.Which I will certainly be doing if it really is fifty friggin dollars for a ship pack.I don't have a problem in the world spending money in the store if I'm having fun with the game,I think it's worth it to support the company,and I feel like I'm getting a good value.I was cash in hand ready to shell out $5,$10,maybe even up to $15 for the 3 ship bundle.But $50.00 is completely outrageous.

Last edited by lucentdragon; 06-25-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
06-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Your dead right in your assertion that such prices are very high.

I think its rationalised by way of comparing prices to other games though.

If we look at LOTRO by way of example (and I have not played much of it admittedly, so please interject anyone), I believe a store bought mount in LOTRO costs 20-25 dollars and is per character only*. We pay 25 dollars and the ship is available for all characters, past, present and future.

So Cryptic/PW actually lose out on repeat transactions here, which is bad for the game. Maybe if other games reduced their store prices, Cryptic would follow suit. As it stands, at least this bundle is a buy two get one free (considering the bonus one gets from having all the various Oddy consoles/etc). This type of bundle hasn't been done before in STO.

*I do believe LOTRO has just finished a store offering of an account wide mount (perhaps in response to other games, even STO - perhaps giving merit to my assumption that game store offerings take into account other games' prices & deals).
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Career Officer
# 3
06-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucentdragon View Post
So,I just came back to STO after a long hiatus. I pre-ordered and played for a few months after release,and then I stopped playing..

$50.00 really? for a 3 pack ship bundle? are you people out of your mind? This is enough for a whole new release game.Besides that,I've already paid $50 once,not counting my 4 months or so I was subscribed.Now you want $50 more? I don't think so.
So what do you think is paying for the costs of your F2P???
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
06-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucentdragon View Post
So,I just came back to STO after a long hiatus. I pre-ordered and played for a few months after release,and then I stopped playing.
Anyways,my fed character is rank 47 at the moment.I decided to look around the c-store and find him a nice ship as a prize for reaching max lvl soon.I found the odyssey 3 pack bundle,which looks like fun.Now here's where things took a turn for the worse,off the road,crashed into a tree,and burst into flames.

Someone please tell me I've got something wrong here,and I'm a nublet.

I have to convert this Zen junk into C-store points at a conversion rate of 100 Zen to 80 c-store points.

The bundle cost 4000 c-store points,which would be 5000 zen.
5000(+300 bonus) Zen is $50.00 USD.

Now,don't get me wrong.I know I don't have to buy that 3 pack ship bundle,and I can go on my merry way,playing the game without spending a dime.Which I will certainly be doing if it really is fifty friggin dollars for a ship pack.I don't have a problem in the world spending money in the store if I'm having fun with the game,I think it's worth it to support the company,and I feel like I'm getting a good value.I was cash in hand ready to shell out $5,$10,maybe even up to $15 for the 3 ship bundle.But $50.00 is completely outrageous.
You can buy three for $50 in the pack, or you can go $25 a pop individually (for $75 total). For the new, more powerful ships, they've been consistent at the $25/2000 CP mark. Get used to it.
Commander
# 5
06-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Since no one mentioned it: You can grind your Zen, though it takes time.
I wouldn't use the "Get free Zen"-thingy though (it looks to scammy).
Ingame you can collect Dilithium Ore, which can be refined to Dilithium (8.000 per day per character).
Dilithium can be traded ingame for CPoints (soon Zen).
It takes time (about 650.000+ Dilithium per Ship), but its possible.

I usually grind half the Dilithium and pay for the rest.
Ensign
# 6
06-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoroon View Post
Since no one mentioned it: You can grind your Zen, though it takes time.
I wouldn't use the "Get free Zen"-thingy though (it looks to scammy).
Ingame you can collect Dilithium Ore, which can be refined to Dilithium (8.000 per day per character).
Dilithium can be traded ingame for CPoints (soon Zen).
It takes time (about 650.000+ Dilithium per Ship), but its possible.

I usually grind half the Dilithium and pay for the rest.
Duely noted.thank you.This will be the route I take then if I really want the ships.Albeit I still think $25.00 a ship is pretty high,at least there's an in game way to obtain store currency.