Community Moderator
# 31
06-29-2012, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
As for new Traits I see where you're going, but, if you toss them in the same way Cold-Blooded was added originally it would work out ok I think. (IE it's only used for a few missions and all Doffs with it have at least one other trait) Resolve was odd because a giant stack of missions that required it were added so that people HAD to have it. Adding a new trait would be far less awkward if it wasn't added as a "must have" trait. Like mustrumridcully0 said, new races mean new combinations of traits that are rarely if ever seen in the currently existing races.
Seems reasonable to me that new traits can be introduced at a later date, as long as they're reasonably unique to new DOFF races and new assignments.

What it also suggests to me is that adding new traits onesie-twosie is going to be inefficient. If you're going to add them, you need to plan them out in batches. Easier said than done, likely, but if you're in a position where you're going to have to add a new trait anyway it would be better to throw in more than one at a time.
Rihannsu
# 32
06-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I agree that there are DOFF races that are too trait-limited and I'd like to see that addressed. The majority of Commons have 3 traits, so that is obviously the normal baseline.

I disagree on the other two counts.

Just because Jadzia Dax was "Congenial", doesn't mean all Trill are. All you have to do is look at Verad (DS9: Invasive Procedures) and Joran (DS9: Equilibrium) to see that it's not universal.

Betazoids could have Seductive as an optional trait, but they should be distinct from Deltans and for this reason alone I'd say they don't need to be universally Seductive. The trait is at least partly due to pheromones in the case of both Deltans and Orions, and Betazoids do not have any special ability to release pheromones in that way.
Yeah, Betazoids aren't quite the same in that regard. Personally I think there should be more unscrupulous Betazoids. Deanna wasn't unscrupulous, but some others were.
Community Moderator
# 33
06-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
What do you see as the primary purpose(s) behind introducing new Duty officer species?

I'm not asking to discourage the brainstorming here - it may, in fact, come in quite handy. But I'd like to get a more solid understanding as to why more species variation is being requested.

* Are there shortcomings in the current system that new species can address?
* Are there new mechanics you'd like to see pursued that new species would allow for?
* Is it just a roleplay / immersion thing?

Quote:
* Are there shortcomings in the current system that new species can address?
One thing that occurs to me right now is that there are way more DOFFs with a mix of favorable and unfavorable traits for existing assignments than there are DOFFs that have multiple favorable traits.

But that might actually be more an issue of building new assignments with different trait mixes, or releasing new DOFFs with different combinations of traits.

It's interesting that there are no "Alien" DOFF's that correspond with the playable generic alien species. Basically, I'd like to see portraits that don't look like an existing race and could have a really diverse set of trait options.

Another related issue I see is that it's very difficult to get DOFFs that aren't one of the major races. There are no DOFF grinders or cultural exchange assignments for minor races like Caitians, for example. I'd like to see those go in.

Quote:
* Are there new mechanics you'd like to see pursued that new species would allow for?
This is really hard for me to answer. There are a lot of Trek species that appear in the IP that are visually distinct but we don't really know much about them otherwise. There are a few of other species that will never lend themselves to the DOFF system.

I'm sure some folks would love to see "Q" appear in the DOFF roster, but that may not be a good idea

There are two "common" species that have not appeared in the DOFF system yet, as far as I can tell. (Would've said three, but I got a Romulan recently). I have not seen a Breen or a Hirogen. But would either of those races need a new mechanic? I don't think so.

We're at a disadvantage suggesting new game mechanics... very often our ideas would require new tech or aren't possible or don't fit Cryptic's future roadmap that we know nothing about.

EDIT: removed bad idea

Last edited by bluegeek; 06-29-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Rihannsu
# 34
06-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Breen and Hirogen are available as cluster colonial chain rewards only.
Commander
# 35
06-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Breen and Hirogen are available as cluster colonial chain rewards only.
Hirogen? I've got two Breen officers, but Hirogen? Are they a KDF only race?
"My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
-The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
Rihannsu
# 36
06-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusashorn View Post
Hirogen? I've got two Breen officers, but Hirogen? Are they a KDF only race?
Nope, Khazan cluster. http://www.stowiki.org/Hunter_Ikrin
Commander
# 37
06-30-2012, 10:05 AM
I've completed every cluster. I never got a Hirogen.

Maybe I need to check again
"My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
Rihannsu
# 38
06-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Double check to make sure you did http://www.stowiki.org/Khazan_Cluster

It's East of Alpha Centauri.

Here's the full atlas: http://www.stowiki.org/Galaxy

Last edited by markhawkman; 06-30-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Community Moderator
# 39
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Duh, I forgot about the colonial chain Breen DO's. I even have a few of them.
Commander
# 40
07-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I guess I forgot to do Khazun and D'Kel Star clusters. I just checked my chain assignments.

...Now the darn game won't give me the next assignments. >_<