Survivor of Remus
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 683
# 1 all cannons vs cannons + beams
09-22-2013, 11:17 AM
One more question for all you guys and gals who are smarter than me:

Is it worth sacrificing a dual beam bank or beam array with BO2/BO3 to load up on cannons?

My typical escort build is 3 DHCs and either a DBB or beam array up front and turrets and the borg kinetic cutting beam in the rear.

This has been pretty good but it "feels" like my beams only do decent damage with BO while my DHC hit hard all the time ... and harder with rapid fire or scatter volley.

I say it "feels" like beams are only good with BO because I have no factual evidence to back this up.

That's why I'm asking you ... is it a good idea to ditch the beam and switch to another DHC or keep the beam for BO2 or BO3?

BTW: I speaking exclusively for escort builds. I know beam boats can be VERY powerful.
In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Last edited by pweistheworst; 09-22-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,158
# 2
09-22-2013, 11:22 AM
The only reason Escorts are carrying that DBB at all is because of BO's spike damage. In PvE, spike damage means very little and doing so hurts your DPS, so there is no real need to carry that DBB.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,596
# 3
09-22-2013, 03:38 PM
DBB is for PvP builds. In PvE, you want DHCs. And the Hyper Plasma Torp.

/thread.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder. <--- DR proved me wrong!
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,157
# 4
09-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Go with the extra dhc. I'd try to squeeze in a dem+marion if your can. You'd see a nice spike in overall sustained damage
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 658
# 5
09-23-2013, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pweistheworst View Post
One more question for all you guys and gals who are smarter than me:

Is it worth sacrificing a dual beam bank or beam array with BO2/BO3 to load up on cannons?

My typical escort build is 3 DHCs and either a DBB or beam array up front and turrets and the borg kinetic cutting beam in the rear.

This has been pretty good but it "feels" like my beams only do decent damage with BO while my DHC hit hard all the time ... and harder with rapid fire or scatter volley.

I say it "feels" like beams are only good with BO because I have no factual evidence to back this up.

That's why I'm asking you ... is it a good idea to ditch the beam and switch to another DHC or keep the beam for BO2 or BO3?

BTW: I speaking exclusively for escort builds. I know beam boats can be VERY powerful.
This is very unpopular, so much so that some people will go into a rage at mere suggestion; if you want crazy DPS on your escort/tactical ship this is what you need:

Beam arrays front and back.
Tactical boffs: 2x tact team, 2x FAW, 2x beta (or 1x beta, 1x omega)
Engi boffs: EPtS1, DEM1, EPtW3
Sci boffs: Transfer shield 1, hazard 2

that is all. go forth and enjoy your 3k DPS increase.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,461
# 6
09-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasmdetector View Post
This is very unpopular, so much so that some people will go into a rage at mere suggestion; if you want crazy DPS on your escort/tactical ship this is what you need:

Beam arrays front and back.
Tactical boffs: 2x tact team, 2x FAW, 2x beta (or 1x beta, 1x omega)
Engi boffs: EPtS1, DEM1, EPtW3
Sci boffs: Transfer shield 1, hazard 2

that is all. go forth and enjoy your 3k DPS increase.
Actually, this does work for pure lulzyness. Granted, the DPS increase will be mostly due to multi-targets, some of which will be pointless, and you'll catch a whole lot of aggro, but you can still actually be competent. I've done a Fleet Mogai like this in PvP and PvE, and it works wonders with the 2-piece drain reduction, and not having to worry so much about arc when my connection goes nuts.
Take it easy!

Ishmael@scurry5: A Nibbling Sci
"Squeak?"
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 658
# 7
09-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurry5 View Post
Actually, this does work for pure lulzyness. Granted, the DPS increase will be mostly due to multi-targets, some of which will be pointless, and you'll catch a whole lot of aggro, but you can still actually be competent. I've done a Fleet Mogai like this in PvP and PvE, and it works wonders with the 2-piece drain reduction, and not having to worry so much about arc when my connection goes nuts.
actually DPS increase is also with single targets. FAW is both scatter shot and rapid fire at the same time.

two things about agro:
1st a threat scaling embassy console helps
2nd, increase DPS means you kill the before the kill you.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,461
# 8
09-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasmdetector View Post
actually DPS increase is also with single targets. FAW is both scatter shot and rapid fire at the same time.

two things about agro:
1st a threat scaling embassy console helps
2nd, increase DPS means you kill the before the kill you.
I know you will increase DPS. I'm just saying that a bunch of that DPS increase in logs will be splattered onto self-healing targets in PvE, and so DHCs with CRF would do more useful damage on a single target. FAW is just like CSV - both increase DPS on a single target compared to normal fire, and do it on multiple targets. But I'm not getting into a debate on that, there's been plenty already.

I'm not saying catching aggro is a bad thing either. It's fun.
Take it easy!

Ishmael@scurry5: A Nibbling Sci
"Squeak?"
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 516
# 9
09-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasmdetector View Post
This is very unpopular, so much so that some people will go into a rage at mere suggestion; if you want crazy DPS on your escort/tactical ship this is what you need:

Beam arrays front and back.
Tactical boffs: 2x tact team, 2x FAW, 2x beta (or 1x beta, 1x omega)
Engi boffs: EPtS1, DEM1, EPtW3
Sci boffs: Transfer shield 1, hazard 2

that is all. go forth and enjoy your 3k DPS increase.
All beam arrays on an escort just seems, I don't know, a violation or something. You get more tactical consoles than a cruiser but you have one less beam, and because it's arrays maneuverability doesn't matter that much.

I could see all beam banks for an escort maybe, but not arrays.

And I don't see a 3k DPS increase except vs multiple targets, and that increase will be largely meaningless. A concentrated CSV vs multiple targets is significantly more effective.

I need more convincing on this escort beam array idea.
http://i.imgur.com/3S4K465.png

Riker has NO class

Delta Rising is the best expansion ever
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,181
# 10
09-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Using Beams on Escorts no Cannons is only advisable if someone is not a good pilot and has a hard time keeping their Dual Cannons lined up for firing or if they just want to try something different but we aware it will annoy some people.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:54 AM.