Career Officer
# 91
07-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Wow! I have loved the Galaxy X ever since I saw it in the series finale of TNG. I hope that when I grow up, I can fly that thing like you do! I have been trying to make it work on and off for so long, but I can never seem to get any build to do better than sub-standard. Its a sad state of affairs when I can make an Oddy work better than my X. I just wish it wasn't so expensive to build it the way you have it. How long did it take you to collect all the components for this build? And do you have any good suggestions for a jumping off point? I've only been playing since F2P, and I've never played an MMO before this, so I am not really too educated on how to build up DPS.
Peace Through Tyranny
Lieutenant
# 92
07-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanaldusmagnus View Post
Wow! I have loved the Galaxy X ever since I saw it in the series finale of TNG. I hope that when I grow up, I can fly that thing like you do! I have been trying to make it work on and off for so long, but I can never seem to get any build to do better than sub-standard. Its a sad state of affairs when I can make an Oddy work better than my X. I just wish it wasn't so expensive to build it the way you have it. How long did it take you to collect all the components for this build? And do you have any good suggestions for a jumping off point? I've only been playing since F2P, and I've never played an MMO before this, so I am not really too educated on how to build up DPS.
Yo, you spelled Tyranny wrong in your sig. Just an FYI.
Career Officer
# 93
07-16-2012, 08:16 AM
By god, I did. Thanks for pointing that out.
Banned
# 94
07-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanaldusmagnus View Post
I started using this ship for no other reason than that a friend was going on about how useless the ship is in PvP. I bet him 15 million EC I could make a build with the ship that can perform adequately against premades and 1-shot just about anything in the game.

Today I am 15 million EC richer.

It's since grown on me.

The game was MUCH different when I set up my first PvP build. In the current state if you want to fly the Gal-X and just don't have the resources to blow, consider Borg equipment.

Borg Mk XI-XII weapons, MACO set, etc. Yes, the weapons won't perform AS we as mine, but it gives you a starting point to work from. Besides, if you compare side-by-side an MkXII ACC3 Phaser Cannon vs an MkXII Borg Phaser Cannon, I highly doubt you'd even notice the difference. Yes, the former is better. You'll crit more often, and more shots will land. But trust me, it isn't such a huge difference that you're even handicapped at all by it.

That'll give you what you need to start practicing tactics with the ship.

From there, you can build up what you need to equip the ship for optimal effect.
Career Officer
# 95
07-16-2012, 08:47 PM
And so... how does one get a MK anything Acc3 weapon?
Lieutenant
# 96
07-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillee View Post
Lots of luck, or buying them from people/exchange who have the luck.
Banned
# 97
07-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillee View Post
Got mine through a mix of Kerrat and Exchange wh0ring.
Career Officer
# 98
07-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Followup question of sorts, I'm exhausted, but I had to put these questions down now:

As an update, I'm trying to drink the Kool-Aid and see how the cannon build wroks (replacing my previous 7 beams and a trico build). As a TAC officer, I've been able to maximize the lance in the Gal-X, the point is maximizing dps AND burst when he lance is not available (thats like 95% of the time).

I have become a better driver of the Gal-X with the cannon build, but can be much better. That being said, the Gal-X isn't a sports car, its a full-sized sedan with an extra wide wheelbase. Being with cannons means a bit more aggressive driving, but thinking two steps ahead is really the key to make up for the handling deficiency.

So, questions are as follows:
1- With a cannon (vs beam) build, do the two DEMs replace the EPtW in terms of alternating activation wiht EPtS (i.e. do you activate these alternatively every 15s?)
2- Will two copies of tactical team be useful? Isn't there a shared cooldown? I honestly don't remember
3- On the other hand, if I sacrifice a Tac team for a HY Torp and keep a trico up fronn with three cannons... am I losing that much in relatively sustained DPS vs burst damage from the trico? How do I "evolve" to get by on 4 cannons and 4 turrets? I suppose that's a manuevering thing again... keeping the front 180 degrees on the enemy.
4- 3 Shield distro Doff + Warp Core DOff + Cannon Doff OR 2-3 cannon doffs (for the near-constant CRF) + warp core doff + 1-2 shield distro doffs.... thoughts? And yes, cannon doffs are expensive, but so are Phasers that are ACC x 3 (yes, I'm envious).

As always, thanks.
Starfleet Veteran
# 99
07-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Relatively unrelated but I got bored and adapted some of this for an excelsior.

Im using the omega deflector and engines with the maco shields.
4 cannons front with 3 turrets and a beam array rear (this is mainly to improve rear facing damage and reduce foreward power drain.).
Im running TT CRF1 and APO
EPTwx2 EPTS2x2 DEM2 Aux2Sif3 ET1
TSS1 and HE2

This is primarily a pve build for the new fleet actions. I seem to do decent damage through Particle Erosion(tm) and with my settings I get a 14 degree turn rate, so not too shabby.
I also have 6 in all my power abilitys so my lowest system is still at 50.

Give it a go and see what you think since its an almost identical captains spec for the dread.
Career Officer
# 100
07-17-2012, 09:46 PM
You know, what works for PvP will work for PvE... although the reverse is not necessarily true.
Closed Thread