Career Officer
# 21
06-27-2012, 08:40 PM

I loved Al's comment that there's no level 1-20 klingons so why make level 1-20 content. Isn't is just possible there's no level 1-20 klingons because when you make a KDF character you start at level 21? Just asking...
Career Officer
# 22
06-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericii View Post

I loved Al's comment that there's no level 1-20 klingons so why make level 1-20 content. Isn't is just possible there's no level 1-20 klingons because when you make a KDF character you start at level 21? Just asking...
There's a lot of self-fulfilling prophecy with Al (and DStahl's) comments on this. Of course if you don't allow ability for a new account to start a character as a Klingon, have less faction exclusive content, etc. then you're going to have less players. It concerns me what any future a Romulan faction would have -- would they just make it levels 40-50 and add a half dozen ships and a handful of episodes?

The hyper-fast leveling in STO does allow anyone to get a max-ranked character in hours or days and enables them to play endgame content, but at the cost of making low tier ships virtually obsolete (cause in the C-Store you're basically buying a console for the money, not the ship) as well as all-but-the-highest mark gear.

I would love to see more episodes added with Season 7 and I hope that once there's at least 40+ episodes for KDF (they're currently at 33 all told) that they will open up Tier 2 and let Klingons start at level 10.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Starfleet Veteran
# 23
06-28-2012, 05:45 AM
Really confused by his answer to my question regarding the level cap. To roughly quote him:-

Quote:
We won't be seeing level cap increases in STO, we will see rank increase though
The idea being that making content is expensive and that moving the level cap will make lvl 50 content defunct. So how the hell will people hit the next rank? If it isn't by levels it will just be via some other type of number that you will increase, which will ofcourse need content, so his argument makes no sence on that part. Also, since all content in the game has been made to scale with levels, his argument about lvl 50 content is also mute.

If Cryptic want people to get to 'endgame' ASAP which is why they sped up leveling, and they don't want to flesh out the KDF so they can level from the beginning, and they don't want to add more levels because they don't want to move 'endgame', then I have to ask, "Why don't we just remove the level system?".

It seems like right now the game doesn't actually know what it wants to be, so why not just let players earn skill points, these can be used to fill your skill trees, then just add 'alot' of new skills to the skill tree and let players grind them out (with no cap on skill points). Maybe have ship types locked to skills you have to put points into, a bit like how Eve does it. Right now it feels like Cryptic don't want STO to be a level based game, but have it as one anyway.

Formerly Suricata - Join Date July 2008
Empire Veteran
# 24
06-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericii View Post

If he had said , " Why make KDF missions levels 1-20 for a faction we undersupported from the start of teh game, starved for content thus cuasing the playerbase to dwindle in size and has been proven to not spend enough money becuase of such a history to warrant further development?"

At least it would have been honest instead of hiding behind the "chicken & Egg" defense.

If they had levels 1 to 20, thus making a complete progression, I know I would be rolling alts and playing those missions. Just like mnay feds have toon amounts numbering in the teens if not higher, I think mnay KDF fans would like to enjoy the same with a storyline to back it up.
He who laughs last thinks slowest.
Republic Veteran
# 25
06-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
If he had said , " Why make KDF missions levels 1-20 for a faction we undersupported from the start of teh game, starved for content thus cuasing the playerbase to dwindle in size and has been proven to not spend enough money becuase of such a history to warrant further development?"

At least it would have been honest instead of hiding behind the "chicken & Egg" defense.

If they had levels 1 to 20, thus making a complete progression, I know I would be rolling alts and playing those missions. Just like mnay feds have toon amounts numbering in the teens if not higher, I think mnay KDF fans would like to enjoy the same with a storyline to back it up.
At some point the Developer team's gonna just stop talking about KDF content. Because they can't win. They don't want to make the content, they don't want to just out and out say that they screwed the KDF from the start either. It's that black mark that keeps getting brought up though, and its what's really keeping STO from being a great game in my opinion. You can't build a two faction game, with one faction.

We have nothing. Nothing but our anger. We will take that spark and start a fire which will become a great conflagration!
Career Officer
# 26
06-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suricatta View Post
Really confused by his answer to my question regarding the level cap. To roughly quote him:-

The idea being that making content is expensive and that moving the level cap will make lvl 50 content defunct. So how the hell will people hit the next rank? If it isn't by levels it will just be via some other type of number that you will increase, which will ofcourse need content, so his argument makes no sence on that part. Also, since all content in the game has been made to scale with levels, his argument about lvl 50 content is also mute.

If Cryptic want people to get to 'endgame' ASAP which is why they sped up leveling, and they don't want to flesh out the KDF so they can level from the beginning, and they don't want to add more levels because they don't want to move 'endgame', then I have to ask, "Why don't we just remove the level system?".

It seems like right now the game doesn't actually know what it wants to be, so why not just let players earn skill points, these can be used to fill your skill trees, then just add 'alot' of new skills to the skill tree and let players grind them out (with no cap on skill points). Maybe have ship types locked to skills you have to put points into, a bit like how Eve does it. Right now it feels like Cryptic don't want STO to be a level based game, but have it as one anyway.
He talks about it a bit around the 1:11:00 mark that it'd be like a talent tree. Previously all ranks were directly tied to levels so this would, presumably, be something new entirely.

What I thought would be interesting is if they reshuffle the ranks with their corresponding levels they could do the following:

0-9 Ensign
10-19 Lieutenant Junior Grade
20-29 Lieutenant
30-39 Lieutenant Commander
40-49 Commander
50 Captain

Then players could opt to increase their rank to admiral or stay at captain, while allowing everyone to still play at the same level (50 for now).
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Lieutenant
# 27
06-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
What I thought would be interesting is if they reshuffle the ranks with their corresponding levels they could do the following:

0-9 Ensign
10-19 Lieutenant Junior Grade
20-29 Lieutenant
30-39 Lieutenant Commander
40-49 Commander
50 Captain

Then players could opt to increase their rank to admiral or stay at captain, while allowing everyone to still play at the same level (50 for now).
This^ I don't know why they decided to rank to Admiral, Captain was the logical choice. I wanted to be the Captain of my own ship not some desk jockey Admiral. Granted you can accomplish this with the Captain title and rank bars, but still.

Edit: also the podcast needs to be available on iTunes I don't have time to sit at my computer for an hour and listen to a podcast, they were meant to be portable.
Haters hate what they can't do - which is everything outside of hatin' - Kevin Smith
Empire Veteran
# 28
06-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastorforthrigh View Post
At some point the Developer team's gonna just stop talking about KDF content. Because they can't win. They don't want to make the content, they don't want to just out and out say that they screwed the KDF from the start either. It's that black mark that keeps getting brought up though, and its what's really keeping STO from being a great game in my opinion. You can't build a two faction game, with one faction.
It is a sad fact that this will always pop up in interviews as a question. Its also a sad fact that its not the KDF fans fault that the faction was ill-created by the Devs. To have this pop-up all the time is what happens when you do something wrongly - people whom feel slighted remind you of it until such time as they feel you understand thier pains.

While the Devs have siad they understand the pains of the KDf fans ingame, I do not think rationiliizng the issue or hiding it behind witty sayings like " chicken & egg" helps at all.

I do find it nice that Al did say that the Dev team has no plans to ignore or do away with the KDF and that we KDF fans will see attention from time to time as the game progresses forward.
Some attention is better than none but half a faction is still less than a whole and I still wish to see that completion happen one day.

On that note I will stop my tirades on fed pandering as long as we are not ignored inside the game in which we too seek to find fun.

As well if they wish to sell some KDF stuff in the Cstore, the T.I.E. KDF bundle pack was an excellent idea.
If they wish to give the KDF some of its uniqueness-feel back to it they could make a Bath'leth Kit that allows the KDF warrior to do what Klingons do best on the ground, fighting with blade in hand.
He who laughs last thinks slowest.
Career Officer
# 29
06-28-2012, 10:48 AM
I enjoyed this interview very much. I can agree with Al though, that most Klingon's are already max level. I would like them to go back on the existing missions though like Adrianne suggested and fix some of the existing bugs. I've leveled 3 Klingon's all the way up, and it's been pretty painful with each experience.

I also found it interesting to see what Al had to say about raising the level cap. I must say i'm with him on that one. I like all my ships and if they raised the level cap they would have to refit, or make new versions of everything. Just expanding on our existing content seems to make sense.

Anyway great interview I look forward to part two!
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-28-2012, 11:06 AM
great interview. i understand the reasoning behind alot of their decisions involving game content, direction, and items, including the lockboxes.

keep up the good work.