Career Officer
# 101
03-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Might be indeed the problem.
Sometimes related to your general location and some problem the internet service providers (ISPs) need to sort out.
What countries are you folks from?
Ensign
# 102
03-13-2013, 09:35 PM
I've been playing STO since it first came out, and i've never had any problems with the server until about the last month or so. "Server Not Responding" all the time. My screen barely has time to load up before it pops up. I've been stuck at DS9 for over 2 weeks. I'm a paying customer. I feel like i'm waisting my money now, paying for game that i can't even play.
Lt. Commander
# 103
03-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
Now I've had no problems this morning playing Elite STFs with my Fleet mates...

And how can you say that its not your connection problem without posting your Trace Route and Net Test diagnostic results to back up this claim...

Both Diagnostics are described in this thread... http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=225155

It's pretty easy for me to say it's not my internal issue when EvE runs flawlessly, MWO runs flawlessly (as flawlessly as it ever does), SWGEmu's test servers are happy with me, large (1/2 gig) graphics files go happily to and from the ftp server I administer for the school I work at, and yet there are issues here.

Given all of the above I don't need to back up my claim with a tracert or their nettest

I've gone so far as to DMZ my box for testing purposes and still nothing. nettest is now failing across multiple ports, the launcher went into patch mode at a speed that can only be charitably described as slow...after taking 20+ seconds to even hook.

After closing the launcher in disgust I fired up EvE, and as expected the patch that was waiting for me came down @ 3+mbit/sec.

Last edited by hiplyrustic; 03-14-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Career Officer
# 104
03-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiplyrustic View Post
It's pretty easy for me to say it's not my internal issue when EvE runs flawlessly, MWO runs flawlessly (as flawlessly as it ever does), SWGEmu's test servers are happy with me, large (1/2 gig) graphics files go happily to and from the ftp server I administer for the school I work at, and yet there are issues here.

Given all of the above I don't need to back up my claim with a tracert or their nettest....
I'm not talking about your connection to the Internet, I'm talking about your connection THROUGH THE INTERNET to the STO Servers... You have yet to realize that unless the servers of your other MMOs are located in the same physical location as the STO servers, the fact that you can connect to them are irrelevant to your STO connection issue... And without the Net Test and Trace Route results, your claiming that you have a flawless connection through the Internet to the STO servers with no proof at all to back up this claim...
Ensign
# 105
03-14-2013, 04:33 PM
From my side I can confirm that this is not a individual problem of some rare users. Since about a week I get constant disconnects. Sometimes I can play for half an hour, then during map transition I got kicked after a few seconds ingame.

Either there is a common internet problem all over the world, or that problem is cryptics ISP, or it is a server problem. On my PC all other games and sites are functioning normally.
It's not a bug, it's a feature
Career Officer
# 106
03-14-2013, 04:55 PM
ya pretty much everything i've researched the last two days (having same prob obviously) indicate this issues appears to be affecting all PWE games and even WOW, plus a few other games here and there.

Its appears to be an issue with AT&T and COX (that i've been able to determine) trying to communicate with the game servers through the Atlas Cogentco Boston and/ore Chicago hubs.

Which is bad, since pretty much a good chunk of the US and even parts of the EU connect through there...or so goes my understanding

Not sure that any of the above helps...but imho...seeing WOW makes me feel a bit better lol

*Edit* This has hit these games before but the above info I've noted has been happening again these last few days
|William@wmcarson|Starfleet Reserve|www.StarfleetReserve.com
Career Officer
# 107
03-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Only getting disconnected from map transfers. Then again, that's been a common problem for me forever. But today I've also been getting horrible lag.

It's also strange these kinds of things happen (for me anyway) after maintenance.
@HyperLimited
Career Officer
# 108
03-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcarson View Post
ya pretty much everything i've researched the last two days (having same prob obviously) indicate this issues appears to be affecting all PWE games and even WOW, plus a few other games here and there.
Knowing that the problem exist is the first step towards finding a solution... The thing to keep in mind is that compared to the likes Neflix and Google, Cryptic/PWE is a very small player in the Internet, and major ISP are not going to give well being of Cryptic/PWE connections a priority. This is why the postings of the 'Net Test' and 'Trace Route' results in the PWE Tech Support forum is so important. So that Cryptic/PWE will learn where the Internet connections issues are, (as the Backbone ISPs won't volunteer this info...) and kick their Internet gateway providers with this data, to try to get the problems resolved. Just complaining about the issue without providing the diagnostic data isn't going to get the job done...
Lt. Commander
# 109
03-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
Knowing that the problem exist is the first step towards finding a solution... The thing to keep in mind is that compared to the likes Neflix and Google, Cryptic/PWE is a very small player in the Internet, and major ISP are not going to give well being of Cryptic/PWE connections a priority. This is why the postings of the 'Net Test' and 'Trace Route' results in the PWE Tech Support forum is so important. So that Cryptic/PWE will learn where the Internet connections issues are, (as the Backbone ISPs won't volunteer this info...) and kick their Internet gateway providers with this data, to try to get the problems resolved. Just complaining about the issue without providing the diagnostic data isn't going to get the job done...
"It's their job to sort this out" won't phase you in the least, will it?

I spent the better part of two decades in IT management at one of the largest retailers in the US. I project-managed the deployment of the 250+ pizza boxes, storage, database, and middleware servers that run their e-commerce site. I also ran the desktop services team, and help desk for it, that serviced the corporate offices.

If customers were calling the help desk to complain that they could not shop with us because the site was inaccessible, or kept kicking them off, or took 30 seconds to load a page on our site while it took 1 second on JC Penney's site and the help desk operator's response was continually "So hey, you need to run tracert back to our servers and email us the results...oh and run this program to test the port performance and email us that as well...just complaining about it isn't going to do any good" would result in a couple of things:

1. The customers would stop shopping there and shop somewhere else.

2. The help desk operator would be fired.

They own the relaitionship with their ISPs, I don't. If they can't be bothered to expend the trivial effort (And it is trivial. Just using dslReports I can fire up smoke and qos tests against my boxes from multiple sites around the country in less than ten minutes) required to generate remote connections against their systems to troubleshoot their problems why should I be bothered to pay them?

Last edited by hiplyrustic; 03-15-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Career Officer
# 110
03-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiplyrustic View Post
"It's their job to sort this out" won't phase you in the least, will it?...
Um really ??? If you ever bothered to read the 'Terms of Service' agreement for STO...
Quote:
18. Interruption of Service

(a) PWE reserves the right to interrupt the Service from time to time on a regularly scheduled basis or otherwise with or without prior notice in order to perform maintenance. You agree that PWE will not be liable for any interruption of the Service, delay or failure to perform resulting from any causes whatsoever.
(b) You acknowledge that the Service may be interrupted for reasons beyond the control of PWE, and PWE cannot guarantee that you will be able to access the Services or your Account whenever you may wish to do so. PWE shall not be liable for any interruption of the Services, delay or failure to perform resulting from any causes whatsoever.
(c) PWE has the right at any time with or without reason to change and/or eliminate any aspect(s) of the Services as it sees fit in its sole discretion.
(d) PWE is not be obligated to refund all or any portion of any Account fee (if any), by reason of any interruption of the Services by reason of any of the circumstances described in paragraph (a) or (b).
http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

And by continuing to play STO is taken as defacto agreement to the TOS statement...

Also, there are some differences in functional requirements between a simple HTTP connection vs. a real time MMRPG Client that you should be aware of. Which one do you think requires a higher quality connection...