Ensign
# 121
03-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Sorry, it disconnects more when skype is running.
Career Officer
# 122
03-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeman98 View Post
grouchy, first of all, on the whole 200ms latency is not that bad. But you keep saying the same thing over and over to everyone, regardless of their issue. Just how many times must "PWE's network people" need to see that there's a problem with Cogent Co-Lo in Boston?
Cryptic/PWE knows that theirs an issue with the Cogent Boston Hub... What they need to see is the source and destination IP address, as well as from which backbone link the packets are coming from to address the issues with their route tables...

And 200ms latency isn't that bad (which is true), the underlying issue is the dropped packets occurring at the Cogent Boston Hub...

Last edited by grouchyotaku; 03-15-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Career Officer
# 123
03-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ll5w1tch View Post
Sorry, it disconnects more when skype is running.
Yeah that's what I thought. Protip: Don't run Skype while you're trying to play an online game.

Skype traffic will be prioritized, making all other network communication suffer. For simple web surfing, etc., this won't necessarily be noticed, but when you're playing games like STO there is constant traffic from your client to the game servers. You want to limit anything that interferes with that.
Ensign
# 124
03-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Then it's odd how STO is the only game so far in the extensive list of MMO's ive played where skype has had that effect, I could list them all but I won't suffice to say, skype never normally has this issue. So it's another issue with this particular game.
Career Officer
# 125
03-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ll5w1tch View Post
Then it's odd how STO is the only game so far in the extensive list of MMO's ive played where skype has had that effect, I could list them all but I won't suffice to say, skype never normally has this issue. So it's another issue with this particular game.
STO is known to use far more simultaneous network connections then most other MMOs, so this isn't too surprising...
Career Officer
# 126
03-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
What they need to see is the source and destination IP address, as well as from which backbone link the packets are coming from to address the issues with their route tables...
Do you have inside information that it's a routing issue? Because otherwise you are assuming that's what it is.

Cogent's network devices (routers or otherwise) could be simply overwhelmed and/or have some kind of configuration problem, in which case the source of the incoming packets is irrelevant.

It could also be that PWE simply didn't buy a big enough bandwidth package. For example if they're paying for a 1 Gb pipe and what they need is a 10 Gb pipe, it's not Cogent's fault at all.
Career Officer
# 127
03-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeman98 View Post

Cogent's network devices (routers or otherwise) could be simply overwhelmed and/or have some kind of configuration problem, in which case the source of the incoming packets is irrelevant.

It could also be that PWE simply didn't buy a big enough bandwidth package. For example if they're paying for a 1 Gb pipe and what they need is a 10 Gb pipe, it's not Cogent's fault at all.
But this doesn't appear to be the case. If the PWE Gateway was running short on bandwidth, then you would expect that ALL connections would have an issue... I've been playing all Afternoon on STO with occasional breaks, and haven't had any issue... (And my connection is via the Comcast Backbone coming out of San Fransisco)

If the connection issues are selective, then that implies a routing/backbone issue...
Lieutenant
# 128
03-15-2013, 05:54 PM
I keep getting DCed every time I zone today, making the game almost entirely unplayable. Normal gameplay is fine til I change zones, and then I sit there with a server connection issue for over five minutes at most. It does not DC me and I have to manually close the game and try and relogin, which often does not work. This is incredibly frustrating.

Last edited by melisande77; 03-15-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Ensign
# 129
03-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisande77 View Post
I keep getting DCed every time I zone today, making the game almost entirely unplayable.
Same here, it's already screwed me out of two STF's when the map tries to load. This is getting really annoying.
Career Officer
# 130
03-15-2013, 06:12 PM
I've been managing to get on and off, but the moment I zone or switch characters, I get kicked off for several minutes. At this rate it'll take me hours just to log on and refine dilithium.
@HyperLimited - Join Date: Oct 2009 - My Youtube Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinn74 View Post
Maybe if the expansion was as great as they claim, people wouldn't be anywhere near Japori. Just sayin'.