Lt. Commander
I've not tried to post on these forums, so I apologize if I am hitting a topic that's already been discussed at length. I was reading the in-game chat with one of the developers who entered discussions with players and recommended posting our thoughts on the forums. He said that they read the forums and are open to suggestions. So I thought I would take him up on his offer.

I've been playing STO shortly after it came online under the F2P model - a sort of "try and see if you like it" approach. Being a fan of the Star Trek genre, the game version of Star Trek has always appealed, but through reviews and word-of-mouth, games previously trying to 'do' Star Trek have come up short of expectations. Thus, I have been skeptical to even try STO for fear of being disappointed and wasting my money on an account. So when it became free to try, yes, I was definitely interested.

The free account is rather limited, but I suppose that's to be expected. Only two character slots: one Fed and one Klingon - but it does give a person a chance to play. So I do not complain about that. I was surprised to discover how limited a gold membership was (only three character slots). Having been an alt-aholoic with WoW, I guess I expected gold membership to have at least four slots (one for each faction, and then two for whatever the player chose). Other online games I've played and 'subcribed' to offered anywhere between five to eight character slots with the option to buy more. So that's the perspective I have been coming from and why I found that surprising. There may be other online games that offer less, but I guess I just don't play those.

As for gameplay, so far, I have really enjoyed the space battles. With one exception: the Borg. From the series, the Borg were a serious threat. One cube could take on an entire fleet and win (see Wolf 359). Now the cubes are challenging, but they feel way too easy. And it wasn't their weaponry that was the problem -- it was their shields. They were practically invulnerable with their shields up no matter what anyone threw at them. And yes, for those reading this, I know about the rotating shield frequencies and so forth - but my point is, in the game, the Borg cubes are just way too easy to feel like we're really fighting the Borg. IMHO, I would suggest making the Borg Cubes like the Tactical Cubes and the Tactical Cubes even more difficult to destroy (way, way, way more difficult - like able to handle 20 players attacking it, not counting respawns).

As for ships, it does seem like a waste to use a ship and then discard it. One feature I would like to see added to the Cryptic Store is the ability to purchase (say at an Admiral rank whether Rear or Vice), bridge officer ship upgrades - comparable to what ships that player would get at their level - whether that means extending a bridge console from ensign to LT Cmdr or making bridge consoles universal.

To take the above idea even further, it would be great for players to be able to buy a Utopia Planetia token from the Cryptic Store for their character to visit the shipyard and design their own vessel (given the models currently in the game) complete with their own bridge officer assignments (like one Cmdr bridge station, one LT Cmdr bridge station, and so forth). I'm not sure how much work would be involved in take existing models and their skins (hulls, struts, nacelles, and so forth) and allowing them to be interchangeable, but I could definitely see players purchasing that option from the Cryptic Store.

Bridge Officers - one disappointing feature in the game is that old Bridge Officers disappear. After a player has invested lots of points in these people, to have them suddenly be removed because you change to a different ship is "painful" to say the least. I would like to see added to the game a "holding" place for "not currently used" bridge officers. For example, say I want to play with my old Science ship, but my current Tactical Vessel only has one Science Officer. Its bad enough that to jump back into my old Science ship, I downgrade what my officers can do, I'm left with an unmanned console because I had to remove my previous Science Officer to get a Tactical one. So I would really like it if I could "collect" three of each kind of bridge officer so that no matter what ship I get, I can have each station covered with no games or losing my investments. Being able to keep my bridge officers also an incentive to seriously consider purchasing more ships because I know I would have a crew that could fly them.

And now, the Cryptic Store itself: Some of the options, I could definitely see a player spending money for - character slots, extending bridge officers, and so forth. However, there are some purchases that I just don't want to invest good money on because of the limited return I get. For example, if I read the descriptions correctly, if I spend money on getting a certain kind of uniform for my characters, it only unlocks that uniform option for one character. So if I'm reading it right, I would have to buy the same uniform multiple times for each character - that adds up fast. The same problem exists for weapon sets or ships or bridge configurations. These things are not "account bound" but "character bound." If they were account bound, I would be sorely tempted to invest in some of them. But character bound, no thanks. That's way too expensive for my budget.

I love the duty officers in the game (a nice 'extra' to the game play). Red alerts are fun dailies. Fleet Actions are great in space - love the epic battles. I've avoid the ground actions. The storyline has been interesting (although in one of the messages that comes up while waiting/loading, Data was destroyed in Nemesis so he couldn't have taken command of the Enterprise - all that's left of him is B4. Need to fix that.) The ground missions seem rather spread out - run forever, shoot a few things, hunt for half an hour for the proper console, and then beam up. The controls seem a bit awkward on the ground, too. Maybe I'm just too used to Skyrim controls when it comes to ground movement and action. It could be just me.

So, with all that said, yes, I have been considering becoming a subscriber, but the rewards for being a gold member seem somewhat limiting. I am enjoying the game. There are many features that I really like about it, but I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to subscribing... yet. Hope those thoughts help.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2012, 08:25 PM
The Borg thing has been discussed, and for the most part they are getting better from when they were first introduced.

And you should be happy, most 'free to play' games only allow free players 1 character slot, with no ability to get any more unless you sub up.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Not a silver player, but C-store ships are unlocked for all faction toons in glod accounts. I am fortunate to have a lot of slots, 2 sci 3 eng 1 tac and 2 klinks. I lost 2 c -store ships, the origninal defiant and intrepid refits, but the claok and the ablative generator are next to useless, so it's not an issue to me. over three toons i have bought pretty much every ship. my newest toon, James bond will not fly any game issued ship. he flew the TOS ship, the c store connie for lcdr, the thunderchild Sao paulo ect as he goes on. heck he already has his vadm Odyssey.

if you invest in extra char slots, invest in a uniform package, see if it's unlocked for all.. I'm betting it is
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynShaufer
The Borg thing has been discussed, and for the most part they are getting better from when they were first introduced.

And you should be happy, most 'free to play' games only allow free players 1 character slot, with no ability to get any more unless you sub up.
really.....thats odd, last i checked most let you make as many toons as you like free, figuaring you will buy more store points that way.

but then again, I have only played 100+ f2p mmo's....

short list of very popular ones that allow multi "toons" without paying.

Runes of Magic: they even rent you the storage and inv space when your a monthly

SilkRoadOnline: can make many toons no cost, but they sell you alot of stuff you NEED if you want to truely enjoy the game with friends.

Global Agenda: even pure f2p players can make multi chars,

Kal Online: pretty much same as Runes of Magic

Shaiya: like kal and sro

Cabal Online: again like kal and sro

Twelve Sky: like kal/sro

Requiem Bloodymare: same as above(i have like 6 chars on there....dont play anymore, never put a dime into the game)

World of Kungfu like sro/kal

Last Chaos: like sro/kal

Rappelz: like kal/sro

Ran Online: kal/sro

Knight Online: again kal/sro style

Prius Online: see above...

MUOnline: yup see above.

Vindictus: again see above.

Jade Dynasty: yup yet another with free char slots...

need I go on?

most F2P mmo's give the slots away free, Hell I think even Perfect World gives you more then 1 slot, if not, then people would just make a 2nd/3rd/4th acct as needed....

many of these mmos even have shared bank so you can grab gear for your new char without using mail system or a 3rd party to pass stuff across to your new char....

they for the most part they dont sell you more storage space or inv space, you either gain more with levels and quests/missions or you get it all unlocked from the start.

the ONLY games I see using this selling char slots model are ones that started p2p and went f2p, and even some of those have backed off on that because they realised that people would just make another account rather then pay for more slots.

the way i view it, Cryptic would make more if they allowed people to have 3 slots for each faction, (total of 6) BUT one locked to each class, then they could sell skill profile slots( like global agenda does for quick change skill slots)

people dont want to pay to be able to try all 3 classes, and they dont want to have to del their only char to try another class to see if they like it better....

how do i know this...because again, I have played STACKS of f2p mmo's.

please try some other f2p mmos there are sites dedicated to them like

http://www.freemmorpglist.com/games_...g/index-1.html (just google "free mmorpg" and you find dozens of sites with long lists of f2p games)
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Have to agree with you AshenTech, as i have played most the ones you listed as well.

also a few of the more well known.
AO
Eq2 extended
Age of conan
Lotro
DDO

All allow more than 1 character slot.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2012, 09:32 PM
glad somebody else has close to the same f2p exp i have, I could list dozens more if i wanted to, very few charge for char slots or inv/bank space unlocks....and most allow trading of most store items(good and bad in this)

F2P is still very new for STO, I hope they dont mess it up and turn the game into a grinder or something of that nature....if they do, the game will just die...
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigatio

As for ships, it does seem like a waste to use a ship and then discard it. One feature I would like to see added to the Cryptic Store is the ability to purchase (say at an Admiral rank whether Rear or Vice), bridge officer ship upgrades - comparable to what ships that player would get at their level - whether that means extending a bridge console from ensign to LT Cmdr or making bridge consoles universal.
This has been discussed before. There are several threads on "upgrading" older ships to make them playable at max rank. Unfortunatly, I have not seen any dev response on this. However, it seems like turning speed and other stuff would have to be balanced, and getting that all figured out would be a nightmare. Also making bridge consoles universal would be bad. It would screw up game balance (which I realize, as a pve player you probably don't care about, but as a pvp player I do)
Quote:
To take the above idea even further, it would be great for players to be able to buy a Utopia Planetia token from the Cryptic Store for their character to visit the shipyard and design their own vessel (given the models currently in the game) complete with their own bridge officer assignments (like one Cmdr bridge station, one LT Cmdr bridge station, and so forth). I'm not sure how much work would be involved in take existing models and their skins (hulls, struts, nacelles, and so forth) and allowing them to be interchangeable, but I could definitely see players purchasing that option from the Cryptic Store.
I like this idea, but we still run into the problem of balance and stuff like turning rates again.

Quote:
Bridge Officers - one disappointing feature in the game is that old Bridge Officers disappear. After a player has invested lots of points in these people, to have them suddenly be removed because you change to a different ship is "painful" to say the least. I would like to see added to the game a "holding" place for "not currently used" bridge officers. For example, say I want to play with my old Science ship, but my current Tactical Vessel only has one Science Officer. Its bad enough that to jump back into my old Science ship, I downgrade what my officers can do, I'm left with an unmanned console because I had to remove my previous Science Officer to get a Tactical one. So I would really like it if I could "collect" three of each kind of bridge officer so that no matter what ship I get, I can have each station covered with no games or losing my investments. Being able to keep my bridge officers also an incentive to seriously consider purchasing more ships because I know I would have a crew that could fly them.
Erm I have a holding space for my Bridge officers.... It may not be all that large but I'm pretty sure I have at least 9 spots for Boffs...
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-22-2012, 06:31 AM
Just a couple of things to note:

Uniforms are account-wide, not per character, so once you purchase a costume (e.g., TOS uniforms) you're good to go. Costume slots ( i.e., having more than one costume slot for a given character) are per character, but uniforms themselves are global unlocks).

Subscribers receive two more bridge officer slots at Lt. Commander, Commander, and Rear Admiral, Lower-Half. This gives them a total of 10 by default. Silver members also receive two more character slots (I don't recall at what levels) for a total of 6. You can buy more bridge officer slots *per character* to have more Boffs available as you level and/or changes ships. This is a trade-off for free-to-play vs. subscribing.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
Just a couple of things to note:

Uniforms are account-wide, not per character, so once you purchase a costume (e.g., TOS uniforms) you're good to go. Costume slots ( i.e., having more than one costume slot for a given character) are per character, but uniforms themselves are global unlocks).

Subscribers receive two more bridge officer slots at Lt. Commander, Commander, and Rear Admiral, Lower-Half. This gives them a total of 10 by default. Silver members also receive two more character slots (I don't recall at what levels) for a total of 6. You can buy more bridge officer slots *per character* to have more Boffs available as you level and/or changes ships. This is a trade-off for free-to-play vs. subscribing.
Thought so was not sure if the silvers had acct wide unlock
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenTech
glad somebody else has close to the same f2p exp i have, I could list dozens more if i wanted to, very few charge for char slots or inv/bank space unlocks....and most allow trading of most store items(good and bad in this)

F2P is still very new for STO, I hope they dont mess it up and turn the game into a grinder or something of that nature....if they do, the game will just die...
Well it is a PWE game now and you know as well as i that all PWE games are nothing but grind. Jade Dynasty is literally a bot/grinder...you don't even have to play the game just make sure you have all the health and mana pots and let your esper do the rest.