Career Officer
I'm not sure if what I'm after exists, but I'll list the criteria and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

1. No random chatter.
2. No discussions of how to DOFF or how to maximize crit chance etc.
3. Allowed to ask if a particular assignment is running.
4. Active members/significant playerbase.

DOFFJOBs is pretty much trash talk now, so I stopped using it.

I tried to use DOFFCALLs, but somebody got a little cranky, so I left that channel.
I was having trouble finding an assignment, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has seen it (stage 10 of the Ferasan chain).
The second I did so, someone tells me not to.

In my personal opinion, that's a bad way to run a channel.
I logon when I feel like it, not when the Doff Assignments refresh.
So I'm likely to miss all the assignment callouts because of this.

I'm looking for a channel halfway between the extremes of DOFFCALLs and DOFFJOBs, if one exists.

Last edited by tilarta; 06-27-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
06-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Are you saying that the spreadsheet is insufficient for what you are looking for?
Career Officer
# 3
06-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Not really interested in messing around with a spreadsheet while playing STO.

I prefer ingame communication.
Captain
# 4
06-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Start your own maybe?
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-28-2012, 03:35 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with asking if a particular assignment is up in DOFFCALLS, as long as it doesn't turn into a discussion but only gathers a quick answer.

I agree that often your Doffing related questions often get buried under a heap of random chat in DOFFJOBS, however I quite like the chat channel side of it too . . . . perhaps it just needs a little re-balancing.
Career Officer
# 6
06-28-2012, 04:58 AM
Well, that's pretty much what I wanted, just someone to say:

"Yes, I've seen the assignment in this location"

And that would have been the end of it.

Let's face it, it's not like I would be asking this question for all the Assignments, just the Rare ones from chains or the Doff ones (like Rulian, for example).

So I'd hardly be talking in the channel at all!

But whoever it was seemed to a bit argumentative, so I left the channel until I get an official ruling.

Like I said before, if these guys aren't going to help me out once in a blue moon when I really need it, then it's pointless being in the channel.

I'm not up to the problems involved in managing another channel.
Moderating EliteSTF is close to a full-time job and I'm not sure I want to oversee another channel.

Especially since any channel I oversee is never a public one, due to certain trolls (who will not be named) keep coming into make trouble and the only way to keep them out is to put the channel in "private mode".
Commander
# 7
06-28-2012, 12:14 PM
If everyone asked in doffcalls every time they wanted to know if an assignment was up, how long would it take until the channel was full of spam and more trouble than it was worth for the people who edit the doff spreadsheet?
Career Officer
# 8
06-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Read my post again.

I won't be asking about the average ordinary assignments.
And neither should anybody else.

Just the ones that are hard to find.

I know players are having difficulty with the Caitian/Ferasan chains, so a lot of help is needed to work on those.
Commander
# 9
06-28-2012, 05:45 PM
well maybe you can make your own channel with a posted list of assignments you're allowed to ask about and invite people to join that
Career Officer
# 10
06-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
Read my post again.

I won't be asking about the average ordinary assignments.
And neither should anybody else.

Just the ones that are hard to find.

I know players are having difficulty with the Caitian/Ferasan chains, so a lot of help is needed to work on those.
I think pantsparty's point is that even if YOU know the difference between an 'ordinary' assignment and a 'hard to find' one, someone else may not. And there is some subjectiveness as to what exactly is 'hard to find'. Someone may have come across a 'hard to find' assignment as soon as they completed the previous step in the chain. Others may fly around for days looking for the same. And once you open up the channel to people asking about a specific assignment, you will have more and more people doing the same, with many of them not knowing the difference between 'ordinary' and 'hard to find'.

Note: I am not a mod of either channels. But I consider my ability to post/read it a privilege (as opposed to a right). So I do my best to follow the rules of the channel, even if I don't agree with them.

And I know you mentioned you don't like spreadsheets. Neither do I. But, I will look at it one time before I log on. If I see something interesting, bonus!. If not, then I'm no worse off for it.