Commander
# 11
06-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stohanson View Post
I've used this feature, and I hate it. Anything that requires me to alt + tab alt to type in a code is terrible. Either put it on the launcher, or get rid of it please... This game doesn't need this level of security...
Agreed, especially since when I alt-tab out of STO it's hit or miss as to whether I can get back in or if I'll just end up with a small black screen and have to kill the session.

Also, tying the browser part in with cookies is just bad. Those of us who practice "safe computing" regularly delete temporary internet files, which includes cookies. That means any time we clean house, we'll have to generate yet another email with a code.

If we have to do this to just log into the game itself, it will become very old very quickly.

Question: For game login, will this process only affect the initial login for a game session or will it kick in whenever we log out one character and bring in another? I do this quite a bit when doing Duty Officer missions.

Last edited by broadnax; 06-27-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Captain
# 12
06-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykoric View Post
It is my understanding that if you log in on your home computer you can save it to Account Guard and it will remember that location.
I don;t access the net from home. I'm in a dead area with no access. I;m always wireless elsewhere on I believe upwards of 17 different access points during a typical week.

Although always with one of two computers but only one has STO installed.

That;s why I was asking
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
06-27-2012, 10:04 PM
I think its a good idea for players that want the extra security. For players that find it inconvenient, maybe the system should be optional, that you can enable on your account page. Disable at your own risk?

Edit : Apparently this option is already available. So what's all the crying about? Geeze. Use it or just disable it. I swear some people just search for something new to complain about ... wait its the Forums ..
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net

Last edited by jkstocbr; 06-27-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Captain
# 14
06-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
I think its a good idea for players that want the extra security. For players that find it inconvenient, maybe the system should be optional, that you can enable on your account page. Disable at your own risk?
That's already in there and I believe was the major issue during the beta. The FAQ linked to up there mentions this.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

Commander
# 15
06-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
It's not so much not wanting extra security, but more about what type of security is involved. Cookie-based is less than optimal for the reasons stated in my previous post.

I play two other MMOS, both of which have additional account security features that do not involve cookies or emails with codes in them.

I'll have to see how this shakes out when I log in tomorrow; hopefully it's not as heavily cumbersome as it sounds.
Captain
# 16
06-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Heck I would be happy with a last log option seeing from where the last connections was made from.

Please tell me that you can;t log in with the same account from two different computers at least/
---
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

Captain
# 17
06-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Not sure I understand it right...we have to enter a code every time we enter the game or website, or does it just apply when buying Zen?
Empire Veteran
# 18
06-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Not sure I understand it right...we have to enter a code every time we enter the game or website, or does it just apply when buying Zen?
Not everytime.
When you login to the game normally, you will be prompted for a Code.
The code is emailed to the address you have registered.
Take that code from the email, enter it, and done.
You will not ever have to submit another code if you only play from one computer/IP address.
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
06-27-2012, 11:10 PM
An extra security feature is always welcome. Just don't make another problem like the account link and we are safe (for now...)
PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Brandon - White text on that background? Could we have something we don't have to highlight to read?
Having trouble with ground STFs? Looking for help?

Join the STFHelp channel