Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
10-14-2009, 09:22 PM
rekhan,
why not have the links to wikipedia or memory-alpha for the ships? doing that also would be helpful.
tnx for the info though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
10-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistanceisfutile
rekhan,
why not have the links to wikipedia or memory-alpha for the ships? doing that also would be helpful.
tnx for the info though.
You think they would have better information? I would rather get my info from STO.com.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13 Nice to see.
10-14-2009, 10:05 PM
I think we would all like more ship specs. But I'm happy to see the new info on the crew, tiers, and brige.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
10-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Nice information, however, maybe there should be some more race specific info for each ship class. I say this because at this time the game looks like its more geared towards combat and not exploration. I know the Klingon and Romulan races are more militant, but they would not have been able to created Empires if they did not do exploration as well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
10-14-2009, 10:37 PM
There needs to be a space under the ship overview menu bar, it looks a bit Odd atm
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
10-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Hm - the "Ship Equipment" page talks about using disruptors instead of phasers. All over the series, the use of a disruptor has always been a strong hint pointing to Klingons or Romulans. This won't hold in STO since disruptors may commonly be used by starfleet ships? Did I get this right?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
10-15-2009, 12:16 AM
After re-reading the Ship overview a few more times, I am now convinced that the game is combat oriented simply because of the following information.

Science Ships

Primary Role: Fleet support, ally aid, battle control. Specializes in buffs, debuffs and control.
Special: Advanced shields, innate subsystem targeting, innate cloak detection; bonus to Auxiliary power.




Like I said in my earlier post, that may be the Primary Role for the more militant races or alliances but not the case for Federation or other Federation type alliances. A Science Ships primary role is SCIENCE, not combat or combat support. I do hope this is not going to be EVE-Online with a Star Trek skin on it.

I'm not saying that I don't want to go into combat, I just hope the games is going to be more balanced with exploration.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
10-15-2009, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddredar View Post
Like I said in my earlier post, that may be the Primary Role for the more militant races or alliances but not the case for Federation or other Federation type alliances. A Science Ships primary role is SCIENCE, not combat or combat support. I do hope this is not going to be EVE-Online with a Star Trek skin on it.

I'm not saying that I don't want to go into combat, I just hope the games is going to be more balanced with exploration.
Cryptic,
Perhaps to satisfy board readers whose focus is outside of a vessel's offensive and defensive capabilities, you could state both the non combat and combat roles. This would serve to sooth concerns of some over the current developmental focus on combat. Personally, for a science vessel I would prefer not to see something like:

Combat Primary Role: Limited.
Combat Special: Immediate destruction.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
10-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balerous View Post
Cryptic,
Perhaps to satisfy board readers whose focus is outside of a vessel's offensive and defensive capabilities, you could state both the non combat and combat roles. This would serve to sooth concerns of some over the current developmental focus on combat. Personally, for a science vessel I would prefer not to see something like:

Combat Primary Role: Limited.
Combat Special: Immediate destruction.

I agree with you, a ship should not be a sitting duck just waiting to be destroyed. They ALL should have teeth, be able to fight back, and even win. But like I said, a science ships primary role is science. The secondary role should be combat support.

The Star Trek motto is: To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
10-15-2009, 08:35 AM
thanks for the info it's good to know
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:55 AM.