Captain
# 1 Odyssey Consoles - Worth It?
06-28-2012, 05:01 AM
I've been wrestling with the question of just what to do with the Odyssey console set. My favorite one - and the one I'd love to just turn on permanently - is the saucer separation. The Work Bees are somewhat useful, though, and the Aquarius can be a bit helpful when the crew isn't trying to kill themselves. Plus the stat boosts are pretty nice, and most importantly the shorter cool down is very helpful.

However, in the face of not having a whole lot of room left in my console slots, and the fact that I'd like to get an Assimilated Console soon, I'd like to know what people's thoughts are on using the set. Is it worth skipping the Assimilated Console and taking the somewhat-underperforming Borg shield system in exchange for the console set boosts? Or should I knock something else out to make room for the Borg console, and if so, what?

I am, for reference, using a tactical and engineering captain with similar setups for their consoles. The tactical captain's ship is basically two Neutronium XI blues, two field generators, three antimatter mag regulators XI blue, and the Odyssey set, on an Odyssey tactical cruiser. My specs and rotation of emergency power abilities ensure I have 125 weapon power almost constantly. I like the tac to be fairly tanky and I like the eng to have a bit more punch to his hits, and I think I've done a fairly decent job with that.

Thanks for any thoughts you can provide!
Career Officer
# 2
06-28-2012, 05:37 AM
Those are universal consoles, including the Borg console. It shouldn't be a problem to shuffle them around to make room for your other consoles.

Personally speaking, the Borg shield really is sub-par and not worth the EDCs or shield slot. Plus the weapon power bonus and criticals of the console pretty much guarantees it a permanent slot on my ship.
Career Officer
# 3
06-28-2012, 05:38 AM
I think saucer seperation is worth it, and maybe repair bees. I've not had a lot of luck with aquaris and found the console slot better with a normal console.

..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino
Lieutenant
# 4
06-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Until recently I was running all three consoles but I came to the decision that nice and fun as they are I could use other consoles.

The Saucer Seperation is useful but I don't miss it that much.

If its your play style and you like them run them, I just decided there where better consoles I would run.

Cheers

Rich
Commander
# 5
06-28-2012, 07:51 AM
i have often wondered about this myself. i seldom use the separation or aquarius so it does seem like wasted console space.
Captain
# 6
06-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matridunadan1 View Post
Those are universal consoles, including the Borg console. It shouldn't be a problem to shuffle them around to make room for your other consoles.

Personally speaking, the Borg shield really is sub-par and not worth the EDCs or shield slot. Plus the weapon power bonus and criticals of the console pretty much guarantees it a permanent slot on my ship.
The problem then begs itself - which do I sacrifice? A field generator, tac console, armor console, or the set? While saucer sep is being taken off over my dead body, the other two almost seem to be a bit of a waste without it. I am also very disinclined to lose the tactical console, as I remember what it was like having the prototype Ody and I'd like more punch to it, and when I tried the Science Ody, Sensor Analysis just wasn't fast enough to cut it.

This is actually something I've considered before, and is in fact one reason I asked this question on the forums in the first place.

Any thoughts on this?
Lieutenant
# 7
06-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Personally I ditched the bee's. I never used them but for a few times, and I don't really miss them that much. I use the Aquarius more than anything else, yeah it's a little to weak and after the target you are attacking when it's deployed is gone it goes off and does it's own thing but it does pack more of a punch than the saucer.
Captain
# 8
06-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
The problem then begs itself - which do I sacrifice? A field generator, tac console, armor console, or the set? While saucer sep is being taken off over my dead body, the other two almost seem to be a bit of a waste without it. I am also very disinclined to lose the tactical console, as I remember what it was like having the prototype Ody and I'd like more punch to it, and when I tried the Science Ody, Sensor Analysis just wasn't fast enough to cut it.

This is actually something I've considered before, and is in fact one reason I asked this question on the forums in the first place.

Any thoughts on this?
My Odyssey console set is in the science slots on my Tac Odyssey. Ive never found need for any of the science consoles (as a Tac captain mind you) so I still have my Engineering and Tactical console slots open, and I benefit from the Odyssey set bonus as well.
Lieutenant
# 9
06-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Um 2 MK XI or XII field generators on a MK XII MACO shield is awesome.
Career Officer
# 10
06-28-2012, 08:29 PM
I like the set, besides the power advantage of using all three. I like them more of what is offered in asssistance and combat.

Worker Bees have a great heal factor, up to 75% of the ship's total value.

The small A, has decent firepower and a decent defense point system *comes in handy* for slow projectiles.

The Saucer section...is cool, with a Engineer Heal Lvl 1 and Tractor Beam, it helps stops a fast oppenent when needed. And it lets the second hull have a higher turning rate that many have 'screamed' that it should have in the first place.

But as said by a few, however the preference, is what one will get out of it.

Me, I get great usage, when my chips are down in certain fights.

Task Force Zulu--Back to Duty X4 SB T1.5, Tac 2, Eng 1 & Sci 1.
To the Edge of Space and Beyond

Subscribe to STO--1200+ days
LTS December 2011